The faux meat thread

tlc1976

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I too had soy burgers in elementary school, at least in the early 80s. I loved them. Later on they switched to these nasty gray slimy things which I assumed were real. The way people describe White Castle (never gone there). Maybe they were.

Morning Star is the most prominent brand here so that’s what I go with. They’re hit and miss for me, but my favorite is the sausage links. Taste just like Brown and Serve and I can eat a box in one day. And the veggie burger which has little chunks of veggies inside. Meatballs were good too. The chicken patties taste like cardboard to me, and the hot dogs well I’ve been getting better at making them edible. I liked real chicken, turkey, and sausage but never was a fan of beef especially steak. Another thing about the plant based meat is I can actually eat it, the fibers in real meat get hung up in my esophagus and give me bowel problems.

As far as misleading products, this cheese I get from the vegan section. Called Go Veggie. Would think plant based. It’s good because it’s similar texture to velveeta. But reading the ingredients it says contains milk. It’s just lactose free cheese. I can handle it that way but I’d prefer to find an actual plant based cheese that melts.

The thing about Kansas, sounds like a place not too far from here. Only supermarket within 30 miles in any direction and always having big sales especially on meat and junk food. Rural area with lots of farms around. They carry zero plant based alternative products, except soy baby formula. Since I’ve been seeking plant based alternatives I won’t go there anymore. I can check their inventory online to see if they will ever come around.

I am glad to see more plant based things at certain other stores around here. Like I found an ice cream that was made from black beans and low sugar and was better than real ice cream to me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
OP
OP
Lou

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
It's been so long since I had meat, I'm not 100% sure my memory of it is accurate- but the veggie burgers I've had have been quite satisfying, and close enough to the "real thing" for me.

Hey, you could probably eat Those raw and not have to worry about salmonella. If you're hungry you could take it right our of the freeze and suck on them.

😉

🤭

OP
OP
Lou

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Not Chicken nuggets taste test.

These guys thought the impossible was the best.
I haven't tried those yet but I've seen them in the store.
I'll get them next time

I haven't tried any of the ones in their test. But I've tried a bunch. I know I've tried Gardein and Morning Star.

Here is another test.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC

Chryssie

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I haven't tried the Impossible nuggets yet. I like Morningstar's Incogmeato (sp?) ones. I don't get nuggets that much as I prefer patties cause I like sandwiches.

silva

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score

I'll get them next time

I haven't tried any of the ones in their test. But I've tried a bunch. I know I've tried Gardein and Morning Star.

Here is another test.

I haven't had any of these!

I love Morningstar & Boca nuggets.
My very very favorites are Yummy brand that Aldi sometimes have as a special. I've had them as nuggets, fries, and dinosaur shapes.

There is a brand by Tyson that's ok, but Tyson so I won't buy...Raised & Rooted

I think Gardien were meh.

The very worst was Beyond and Aldi brand. Beyond were very chicken like. Aldis are just stringy and mush, no matter how I cooked them

My sons mostly had vegan chik'n growing up. I'll always remember the scene at a McDonalds when he didn't want a burger so his aunt got him a chicken sandwich happy meal. He was not happy.

Now I think I'll make my own nuggets, with vwg and tofu. Buffalo style.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

silva

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, I haven't tried the recipe using vwg and jackfruit, wrapped in a rice paper, steamed then baked.

Reactions: Lou

KLS52

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
I do not like Morningstar at all. Quorn is the best but haven’t had them in forever because I can’t find vegan ones. I had Nuggs and they were gross. I was mad because I had to buy a large (aka expensive) quantity online and I threw them in the trash. 🤢 I’ll eat the boca chicken patties because I can doctor them up with the bun and all the fixins but not the nuggets.

• Informative

LoreD

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

I'll get them next time

Here is another test.

I just saw Impossible Nuggets at the store. I'll give them a try.

I've separated the different chik'n products as:

1. Sorta tastes like chicken

2. Doesn't taste like chicken, and is yummy

3. Doesn't taste like chicken, and tastes awful