The faux meat thread

I too had soy burgers in elementary school, at least in the early 80s. I loved them. Later on they switched to these nasty gray slimy things which I assumed were real. The way people describe White Castle (never gone there). Maybe they were.

Morning Star is the most prominent brand here so that’s what I go with. They’re hit and miss for me, but my favorite is the sausage links. Taste just like Brown and Serve and I can eat a box in one day. And the veggie burger which has little chunks of veggies inside. Meatballs were good too. The chicken patties taste like cardboard to me, and the hot dogs well I’ve been getting better at making them edible. I liked real chicken, turkey, and sausage but never was a fan of beef especially steak. Another thing about the plant based meat is I can actually eat it, the fibers in real meat get hung up in my esophagus and give me bowel problems.

As far as misleading products, this cheese I get from the vegan section. Called Go Veggie. Would think plant based. It’s good because it’s similar texture to velveeta. But reading the ingredients it says contains milk. It’s just lactose free cheese. I can handle it that way but I’d prefer to find an actual plant based cheese that melts.

The thing about Kansas, sounds like a place not too far from here. Only supermarket within 30 miles in any direction and always having big sales especially on meat and junk food. Rural area with lots of farms around. They carry zero plant based alternative products, except soy baby formula. Since I’ve been seeking plant based alternatives I won’t go there anymore. I can check their inventory online to see if they will ever come around.

I am glad to see more plant based things at certain other stores around here. Like I found an ice cream that was made from black beans and low sugar and was better than real ice cream to me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
It's been so long since I had meat, I'm not 100% sure my memory of it is accurate- but the veggie burgers I've had have been quite satisfying, and close enough to the "real thing" for me.

Hey, you could probably eat Those raw and not have to worry about salmonella. If you're hungry you could take it right our of the freeze and suck on them.

😉

🤭

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I haven't tried the Impossible nuggets yet. I like Morningstar's Incogmeato (sp?) ones. I don't get nuggets that much as I prefer patties cause I like sandwiches.

Not Chicken nuggets taste test.

These guys thought the impossible was the best.
I haven't tried those yet but I've seen them in the store.
I'll get them next time

I haven't tried any of the ones in their test. But I've tried a bunch. I know I've tried Gardein and Morning Star.

Here is another test.

I haven't had any of these!

I love Morningstar & Boca nuggets.
My very very favorites are Yummy brand that Aldi sometimes have as a special. I've had them as nuggets, fries, and dinosaur shapes.

There is a brand by Tyson that's ok, but Tyson so I won't buy...Raised & Rooted

I think Gardien were meh.

The very worst was Beyond and Aldi brand. Beyond were very chicken like. Aldis are just stringy and mush, no matter how I cooked them

My sons mostly had vegan chik'n growing up. I'll always remember the scene at a McDonalds when he didn't want a burger so his aunt got him a chicken sandwich happy meal. He was not happy.

Now I think I'll make my own nuggets, with vwg and tofu. Buffalo style.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Oh, I haven't tried the recipe using vwg and jackfruit, wrapped in a rice paper, steamed then baked.

Reactions: Lou
I do not like Morningstar at all. Quorn is the best but haven’t had them in forever because I can’t find vegan ones. I had Nuggs and they were gross. I was mad because I had to buy a large (aka expensive) quantity online and I threw them in the trash. 🤢 I’ll eat the boca chicken patties because I can doctor them up with the bun and all the fixins but not the nuggets.

• Informative
Not Chicken nuggets taste test.

These guys thought the impossible was the best.
I haven't tried those yet but I've seen them in the store.
I'll get them next time

I haven't tried any of the ones in their test. But I've tried a bunch. I know I've tried Gardein and Morning Star.

Here is another test.

I just saw Impossible Nuggets at the store. I'll give them a try.

I've separated the different chik'n products as:

1. Sorta tastes like chicken

2. Doesn't taste like chicken, and is yummy

3. Doesn't taste like chicken, and tastes awful

I do not like Morningstar at all. Quorn is the best but haven’t had them in forever because I can’t find vegan ones. I had Nuggs and they were gross. I was mad because I had to buy a large (aka expensive) quantity online and I threw them in the trash. 🤢 I’ll eat the boca chicken patties because I can doctor them up with the bun and all the fixins but not the nuggets.
I don't care for Morningstar, either. I've tried two products and they both seemed flavorless. I've never tried Quorn products or Nuggs.

I saw the Impossible nuggets in the grocery store recently, but I'm not a huge fan of the Impossible burger. It's OK, but I much prefer Beyond burgers, so I'm reluctant to try the Impossible nuggets. Gardein's nuggets were OK. I love their 7-grain tenders, though. Love the Boca chik'n patties. They are really good doctored up as you say. I like to chop them up and make a wrap out of them or top a salad with them.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
What was the name of the movie where there is a scene of a banquet where all the dishes are made from endangered species?

Endangered species meats or even extinct species meats - I think this company maybe onto something.

That was more or less the plot of the animated (Aardman) movie "The Pirates! Band of Misfits" ... where Queen Victoria is the head of a secret society wanting to dine on extinct species, with the world's last surviving dodo as the special treat of the banquet.

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
Can I just say here, for the record, that I am not particularly fond of meat-eaters who are willing to let the world burn (or at least don't care if it does) and animals suffer as long as plant-based meat alternatives only taste 95% as good as "real" meat products made from killed animals?

I sincerely hope that dead animal products become unaffordable for a majority of people, and they see that plant-based alternatives can fill the gap here.

That was more or less the plot of the animated (Aardman) movie "The Pirates! Band of Misfits" ... where Queen Victoria is the head of a secret society wanting to dine on extinct species, with the world's last surviving dodo as the special treat of the banquet.

yeah. can't be that one. I've never heard of it.

Ha!
This is a completely different kind of Faux Meat.

I guess its vegan. but I'm not sure. I heard about this on the news (radio) today and the newscaster was saying this guy had "invented cattle". I didn't understand how someone could "invent" cattle. Turns out these were imaginary cattle or perhaps paper cattle. Fictional cattle? Ghost cattle.

Anyway, I suppose no real cattle were harmed by this guy.

A Washington man pleaded guilty today to defrauding Tyson Foods Inc. (Tyson) and another company (Company 1) out of more than $244 million by charging them under various agreements for the purported costs of purchasing and feeding hundreds of thousands of cattle that did not actually exist.​

I tried the Impossible ground today. It looks like ground beef and cooks up just like it too. I like it much better than the frozen crumbles. As far as taste, I don't remember what beef tastes like but this seems to be a good replacement. I will get it again.

Apparently, the big hype about faux meats is over. Some of the companies are pulling back in the U.S.

Planteera OZO is pulling out. I think it might of been the taste. I bought some and didn't like it.

I wasn't fond of Quorn. I did like their low plastic packaging.

I liked Beyond better than Impossible.

I think too many companies were trying to get into the faux meats space.

I would like 3 or 4 really good products to choose from. I don't need 20 choices.

Apparently, the big hype about faux meats is over. Some of the companies are pulling back in the U.S.

Planteera OZO is pulling out. I think it might of been the taste. I bought some and didn't like it.

I wasn't fond of Quorn. I did like their low plastic packaging.

I liked Beyond better than Impossible.

I think too many companies were trying to get into the faux meats space.

I would like 3 or 4 really good products to choose from. I don't need 20 choices.
In my area the marketing is just horrible! Some places mix the plant based in with the meats, which means picking them up to read ingredients if you're interested. I read everything whether I want it or not 🙄. Often in the meatless part of the freezer they mix in organic meats, and gluten free stuff :hmm:.
I like the original soy or wheat based products myself. The more they attempt 'meat' the less I'm apt to like them

I've also noticed how much they're pushing "plant strong" offering, which is veggies mixed in with meat :fp:

Beyond now is 'now meatier', and I don't like it at all. Haven't tried the latest revision of their sausage yet

Biden Backs Lab-Grown Meat

In an executive order, Biden said that the U.S. government is dedicated to investing in biotechnology that will advance the U.S.'s food security, with the documents acknowledging the promise of "cultivating alternative food sources" and "looking to improve food security and drive agricultural innovation through new technologies...[including] foods made with cultured animal cells."

I'm going to give this high marks for concept. Low marks for execution.
Pringles flavored chicken fries? Does Original Pringles even have a flavor?

Oh, wait. I wonder... I remember my mom had a recipe for fried chicken that uses potato chips as the coating?

I don't think that is the case here but that might be worth exploring. And since this is Kellogg, how about a corn flakes coating - I always liked those.

I think the big food processing companies should be trying for new things not imitating old things. but until they do that maybe some novel combinations might be good.