The Everything Non-Dairy Thread

So this looks like a good idea.
I like that the companies are not just trying to replicate the nutrition of cow's milk but trying to make something that meets kid's nutritional needs.

I am going to keep an eye out for these.

Reactions: Emma JC
It is a sure thing, dairy is in decline as more people keep going over to nondairy milks without animal products. And why not? I was never missing dairy milk. And I found hummus soon enough and did not miss cheese after all when was using that in food.

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
It is a sure thing, dairy is in decline as more people keep going over to nondairy milks without animal products. And why not? I was never missing dairy milk. And I found hummus soon enough and did not miss cheese after all when was using that in food.
I agree with not missing dairy milk. Hummus in place of cheese? Not so much lol.

• Agree
Reactions: silva and PTree15
I agree with not missing dairy milk. Hummus in place of cheese? Not so much lol.
before there was cream cheese subs I used Hummus on my bagel sandwiches.
I'm eating a bagel sandwich right now!
Thomas' whole wheat bagel, VioLife cream cheese, cucumber, tomato and TJ's Everything but the Bagel seasoning. I used to get salmon flavored non dairy cream cheese - vegan lox smear. I can't remember where to buy it now.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I like the idea of Ditch Dairy targeting children. There was an article a few posts ago about new non dairy milk subs just for kids that are formulated to be better nutritionally than milk. (and at least one is chocolate flavored).

there is the ADD SOY act that will reimburse schools for the cost of adding non diary alternatives.

also the landmark free speech suit that allows students to promote nondairy in schools.

Bringing up kids as non-dairy drinkers would/should be very effective.

before there was cream cheese subs I used Hummus on my bagel sandwiches.
I'm eating a bagel sandwich right now!
Thomas' whole wheat bagel, VioLife cream cheese, cucumber, tomato and TJ's Everything but the Bagel seasoning. I used to get salmon flavored non dairy cream cheese - vegan lox smear. I can't remember where to buy it now.
Trader Joes had a lox spread, but it's discontinued now. A lot of people loved it--I never tried it because I hated seafood.
Olives did replace blue cheese in chopped salads for me. My favorite- apples, walnuts, celery, olives
I used to really like hummus, but never felt it in the cheese category! Can't stand it anymore, in any way

Reactions: KLS52
Trader Joes had a lox spread, but it's discontinued now. A lot of people loved it--I never tried it because I hated seafood.

Olives did replace blue cheese in chopped salads for me. My favorite- apples, walnuts, celery, olives
I used to really like hummus, but never felt it in the cheese category! Can't stand it anymore, in any way
I love olives. I can see them as a blue cheese replacement. I actually like hummus and make my salad dressing with it. I'm particular about the brand is hummus. I don't like strong tahini flavor or too much lemon taste. It needs to be fairly mild. I like home made but for some reason haven't gotten it quite right yet. But it's better than the store brands.

More and more consumers are switching over to plant based milk but dairy is not really on the decline.

Milk Consumption

During 1980, we drank close to 30 gallons of milk a year while in 2021, it sunk to 16. More specifically, children, teenagers, and adults all are drinking less milk. One reason could be we are eating less cereal–or as an economist would say, less of a complement.​
In addition, substitutes (anotherdeterminant) have become more attractive. However, (happily) sugary drinks did not take us away from milk.​
Instead, it appears to have been plant-based milk.​

Where I shop for my groceries is not a place really catering to vegan people with as many options that I know are in other places as I have seen. Still there is a large part of the milk section that is filled with the alternatives to dairy, and I know demand and supply is at work. There is only all that option at the store because there are enough who choose to buy it. It is not just vegan people, or even besides them just vegetarians. A large enough segment of people more generally are finding a preference for one or another of the alternatives to dairy milk, it is a reality.

I was not talking about replacing cheese with hummus in the same things. Or was that statement for being silly? I meant that I lost interest in food items with cheese without much difficulty, though kind of one at a time. Seeing others get pizza while I was not getting any was a little more difficult. But I meant I started having meals and things with hummus, and was loving it so much it was not so bad not getting the things that are with cheese while getting these new things I like, with this hummus I have with it all. That should be understood more, it does not have to get hard to get past cheese.

Reactions: KLS52
Where I shop for my groceries is not a place really catering to vegan people with as many options that I know are in other places as I have seen. Still there is a large part of the milk section that is filled with the alternatives to dairy, and I know demand and supply is at work. There is only all that option at the store because there are enough who choose to buy it. It is not just vegan people, or even besides them just vegetarians. A large enough segment of people more generally are finding a preference for one or another of the alternatives to dairy milk, it is a reality.

I was not talking about replacing cheese with hummus in the same things. Or was that statement for being silly? I meant that I lost interest in food items with cheese without much difficulty, though kind of one at a time. Seeing others get pizza while I was not getting any was a little more difficult. But I meant I started having meals and things with hummus, and was loving it so much it was not so bad not getting the things that are with cheese while getting these new things I like, with this hummus I have with it all. That should be understood more, it does not have to get hard to get past cheese.
October will be 20 years since I gave up dairy and sadly I still miss cheese.

I did think you meant hummus as a replacement for cheese. I was not making fun, however. I think it's great when anyone finds something that helps them to not miss certain foods. I get by with cheese alternatives for the most part. But I don't think I will ever stop craving dairy cheese. 😞

• Sad
  • Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and PTree15
Honestly, it's just been just since 2013 since I had any dairy cheese, and I only sort of remember it, as I have tried nondairy cheese since, but I had already been using hummus in things for a while before I found the nondairy cheese in the store, its taste may be what I yet recall of dairy cheese but it isn't special to me, as it had been when I wondered if I could give dairy cheese up. The tastes really do change, it impresses me.

I get nondairy milks, and have gone through several ones. I am settling now with rice milk just for it being the only one I have come to that is fortified with vitamin B12. I don't generally have something otherwise in replacement for any dairy, but for rare exceptions.

and here are some of the comments.
  • Maple syrup comes from trees and is awesome?
  • Nuts grow on trees, so I guess we do have wood milk already.
  • Various woody flavours are desirable in wines and whiskeys, might be nice in milk? (Eg"Creamy, with hints of maple, vanilla and oak")
  • Also, cinnamon is literally tree bark and it's delicious.
  • coconut milk was “milk” and no one complained (and comes from trees!)

I learned about this from Reddit this morning.

My wife and I are very much introverted but wanted to do more for the animals, so we built VeganCheese.co in our spare time, which is a database of all available vegan cheeses in the world, there are 1860 of them in the database and you can filter and sort in many ways and we're always adding more​

Welcome to vegancheese.co, a resource for vegan and plant based cheeses, whether you're taking the first step in to the world of vegan and plant-based cheeses or you're looking for a new favorite, we're sure our discovery tool, guide, directory and news articles can help you in the right direction to vegan cheese heaven. Go discover vegan cheese
Our mission is to create a vegan cheese resource that helps people to find alternatives to dairy and animal based cheeses. We created this site so that there is one less excuse to going vegan and planet based, and if you can find a great vegan cheese, then we're doing our job.​
You too can help others go vegan, if you can spare 60 seconds of your time, find the cheeses you've already tried using the cheese discovery page. Then simply rate and write your thoughts on what it was like. You don't have to register and it will take less than a minute.​