The Everything Oatmeal thread

I can't understand letting oats soak all night :confounded: ,or all the fuss people make about "recipes"
I'll stick to adding hot water to rolled oats and eating them right off!

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I can't understand letting oats soak all night :confounded: ,or all the fuss people make about "recipes"
I'll stick to adding hot water to rolled oats and eating them right off!
I couldn’t either until just recently. Something about it that just really tastes good. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think it’s that I like it cold and “soupy” like cold cereal. When I have it cooked I like it thick and not too runny.

I've only bought golden flax seed ....unground. I kept my little coffee grinder. it takes up little space. Although I only use it nowadays for flax seed.
I make 2 - 4 Over night oats at once. so I have overnight oats, 32 hours oats and 50 hour oats. They all seem to taste/work the same.
For variety try putting everything but the oats in the blender and then adding it to the oats. I'm doing a blueberry banana thing this week.
Apparently four days doesn’t work for me. When I opened it, it was a beautiful shade of blue/green. Lol. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Luckily I made a new one just yesterday so I had that one.

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Apparently four days doesn’t work for me. When I opened it, it was a beautiful shade of blue/green. Lol. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Luckily I made a new one just yesterday so I had that one.
The IP oats recipe I used was for 4 servings. And I didn't even have it every day. It lasted 6 or 7 days.
Maybe its because of the little jars I use. They OOs fill up the jar - right to the top. So there is less oxygen and stuff.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
The IP oats recipe I used was for 4 servings. And I didn't even have it every day. It lasted 6 or 7 days.
Maybe its because of the little jars I use. They OOs fill up the jar - right to the top. So there is less oxygen and stuff.
Maybe. I use pint jars and they only fill halfway. Could be my refrigerator too. I’m noticing things going bad faster. Mildew. Yet it’s a new refrigerator and there’s no condensation on the inside. Weird. I’ll just make sure I don’t let it go past three days. I only do two at a time and it just happened that I felt like something different for two days in a row.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Maybe. I use pint jars and they only fill halfway. Could be my refrigerator too. I’m noticing things going bad faster. Mildew. Yet it’s a new refrigerator and there’s no condensation on the inside. Weird. I’ll just make sure I don’t let it go past three days. I only do two at a time and it just happened that I felt like something different for two days in a row.

Do you soak the oats in water?

Do you soak the oats in water?
It’s my understanding overnight oats get “milk”. For Cooked I always do water but I think you could do milk. Not sure. I imagine it’s individual preference.
I also love farina/cream of wheat. You can do water or milk when you cook that but I will use milk because it makes it creamier.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I have used soy a few times. The only reason I prefer almond or even cashew is because they are lower in calories. But I prefer soy for the protein.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Tom L. and shyvas
I have used soy a few times. The only reason I prefer almond or even cashew is because they are lower in calories. But I prefer soy for the protein.
I like soy for the protein. I think it has the smallest carbon footprint and lowest water usage (except for oat milk). and then there are the bees that are enslaved to pollinate almonds.

I still buy some almond and cashew milk. mostly its soy milk for me.

the nut milks do have less than half the calories of soy. they also have like a tenth or the protein.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L. and KLS52
It’s my understanding overnight oats get “milk”. For Cooked I always do water but I think you could do milk. Not sure. I imagine it’s individual preference.
I also love farina/cream of wheat. You can do water or milk when you cook that but I will use milk because it makes it creamier.

I don't really see the point of making a huge batch of mueseli and keeping it in the fridge.:cool: It only needs to be soaked for a few hours to remove phytic acid. If you consume the milk it may still contain the substance. Even soaking oats for 1 hour is enough to obtain a slight mush. :) I very often prepare it when I get up and just soak the oats in water for 1h- 1/2.

I like my mueseli to be thick and only add a dollop of yogurt and/or a mixture of soya milk/cream just before serving. I also use the method of soaking the rolled oats in either unsweetened apple juice or just plain water. I always add fruit and nuts before serving as there is no need to soak them and they taste better when they are fresh & plump.
I never count calories but always prefer higher protein and fat content as it helps to keep you fuller. I usually have soya milk/cream with mine.

I never follow a recipe so anything goes when making museli.

Mine looks more like JO's and Emina's ; thick and mushy. I never eat it on a daily basis (not a huge cereal lover) as I'm a savoury breakfast lover. :innocent:

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I could try checking it after an hour. I thought it needed to soak longer to get soft.