The Everything Oatmeal thread

Oatmeal. Rolled is already steamed, so it is already cooked. I'm in the US. I buy from Azure Standard in 25 or 50 lbs bags. They have organic oats. I keep them in the large tupperware container I used to keep flour in, and 3 and 5 gallon food grade buckets.

I'm a fan of steel cut oats. I use oats and water, ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 or something in between. Bring it to a boil, then turn off and let it sit a half hour, put in quart containers which refrigerate or freeze fine. I just warm it up a cooked cup of them the next day with cranberry/orange cooked puree, flax/chia, cinnamon, honey.

Groats, I use the same ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 with water, bring to a boil, and then stir for a while, then after about a half hour it is done. Package as above. They are mushier and more like barley in my opinion. I still eat them but may not buy them again.

Mr feather is a thick rolled oats fan. He takes a little more than 1/2 cup of them, with water, heats it in the microwaves, twice, stirring in the middle. He added either blueberries or raisins, adds flax/chia, cinnamon, and honey. He will sometimes add a home canned fruit puree instead of berries or raisins. When he watched the Dr Greger video on how blueberries make you smarter, he began telling me each day he had blueberries that I needed to watch out because his smartness was increasing. :laughing: He's a funny man!

We make oatmeal cookies all the time so that we can substitute those for a breakfast if we are running out early in the morning, or for a snack to keep in the truck.

There is also a savory oatmeal I like for breakfast. Oats, little broccoli trees, some garlic, and some miso dissolved in water. Sometimes I use chopped stems of broccoli, either way it is satisfying and delicious.
Not how I like groats at all! I've never had them mushy! I do 1 cup groats to 1.5 cup water in a bowl in the Instant Pot, on rack over water, for 10 minutes pressure. They soak up all water and aren't anything like barley, more like rice, or farro

Reactions: feather
Not how I like groats at all! I've never had them mushy! I do 1 cup groats to 1.5 cup water in a bowl in the Instant Pot, on rack over water, for 10 minutes pressure. They soak up all water and aren't anything like barley, more like rice, or farro
thank you! I don't have an instant pot, but I can try it with less water. I like the texture of steel cut and if I can get the texture of groats better, I'd eat them more often.

Now I want to try groats! I like the texture of barley and rice. I’ve never had farro.
I like the chewiness of steel cut oats.

Reactions: Emma JC and feather
Now I want to try groats! I like the texture of barley and rice. I’ve never had farro.
I like the chewiness of steel cut oats.
I suppose it depends on the ratio and cooking time. I've only made groats with 1:1.5 groats to water and they come out non sticky and separate. Im not much of a barley fan anymore. I used to like barley mushroom soup, now find it gross :shrug:
...like how I used to like tabooleh :rofl:

as I mentioned on the Whatca Eatin thread I am going to try to make steel cut, quickly, every week day morning - I am used to making my own melange with rolled oats and on Saturdays, when we normally have steel cut, I don't care how long they take to cook - so I soaked the steel cut overnight, last night, in the fridge, and now it is taking a longer time than normal to cook because the water is cold... I am not sure I am comfortable leaving them soaking out of the fridge... comments welcome.... my honey is not a fan of reheated porridge so cooking a batch ahead is likely not an option

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I've made this a few times and I'm still experimenting with the recipe. I know you said you don't like the idea of reheated porridge but this one worth trying.

3 apples cored and chopped.
2 cups steel cut oats
6 cups water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp kosher salt

Combine ingredients in the IP and cook on high for 4 minutes. NR.
At this point its ready to eat but I like to store it and eat it later.

Reheating:
This is where I'm experimenting. Mostly its going to vary depending on how mushy or crunchy and hot you like your breakfast.
put one serving in a bowl.
Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of plant milk
reheat in Microwave for 1 - 3 minutes.
I add raisins and maple syrup.

IMHO, reheating it with milk improves it.

I keep forgetting to keep count but I think it makes 4 - 5 servings.

thanks for the suggestion

I think that I would be better off making something like an oatmeal cake/bar or breakfast thingy of some sort that doesn't pretend to be porridge and that might make it more palatable. Kind of like one of my favourite, Baked Lemony Pancake Bars, it's pancakes without the flipping and it is good the next day. Something similar with oats and incorporating apples and berries and all the goodies.... I'll have to look around for a recipe.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I've been thinking along those lines too.

These look good.

I buy these at Trader Joes and keep them in my freezer for emergency ToGo breakfasts. Here is a way to make them yourself

Reactions: Emma JC
OKAY! I used your measurements, brought them to a boil on the stove, let them cool. They weren't done enough yet. Brought them to a boil again, let them cool, and they are much BETTER! Chewy and not mushy. Thanks!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
OKAY! I used your measurements, brought them to a boil on the stove, let them cool. They weren't done enough yet. Brought them to a boil again, let them cool, and they are much BETTER! Chewy and not mushy. Thanks!
No Instant Pot? :worried:

I agonized about the decision to buy an IP. they are big and clunky and expensive.
but they do so many things. and I'm big fan of handsfree cooking.

Reactions: Emma JC
Over the course of my life I've bought too many appliances. I have a pressure canner which can do pressure cooking. I just don't want to store another one. They are big and clunky and I need storage space to do it. I need counter space to do it. It's not worth it to me. So I boiled the water, added the groats, let it cool, then brought it to a boil, turned it off, then stored it. It was perfect. I don't have the counter space to give to an air fryer or instant pot. If you have one, very cool, if you don't...there are other ways.

So I made overnight oats last night. I know I've used this recipe before, I may have even posted it before ....

I'm calling it Apples and Cinnamon Overnight Oats
1/2 cut oats
2 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup milk - I used plain soy milk
1/4 cup applesauce - unsweetened
1/4 cup yogurt - I used Silk Vanilla.

This morning I heated it up with a 1/4 cup soy milk. Probably would be even better with raisins. And maybe a little maple syrup?

400 calories
17 G protein
13 g fat
18 g fiber
3.6 g omega 3 (225%)

121% vitamin K (since I was just talking about it I noticed it.)
147% manganese
And a ton of other V&M

What a way to start the day!

I absolutely love oats, and have for decades. But I could learn a lot from the other posters in this thread.

For some time now, I have been using "quick oats" (which, as someone here already mentioned, are not raw). I just soak a heaping one to two cups with the liquid of my choice (usually water) and eat, usually with fruit. If I'm going to cook them, I would use slow-cooking thick oats, which will come out a bit chewy (not mushy/pasty).

I often buy my oats in bulk from the health food store, but I have to be careful that Indian Meal Moths don't invade my stash. Keeping at least some of them either in my refrigerator or on an unheated enclosed porch or vestibule during the winter prevents that problem.

Tom L, we've kept thick cut oats in 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids, in our basement (wisconsin), this past year. No problems with moths so far. The temperature is about 55 deg F most of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Tom L.
@Tom L.

Not totally sure about this but I think quick oats are a little more processed than rolled oats. I always buy rolled oats. And try to buy organic oats. I learned not that long ago that non-organic oats spend a lot of time swimming in round-up and significant amounts of round-up are found in supermarket oats.

I read that even organic oats have traces of round-up. could be contamination during storage or maybe the round-up blows in from a neighboring field. Yeah, I know. like we Needed another thing to worry about.

Anyway, from now on I'll spend a little more money on organic oats.

Oh, I used to love to buy in bulk* but Covid closed that aisle. However there is some hope that bulk buying may be coming back to the little upscale grocery store near me (Molly Stone's). They just put back their salad bar. I was sure we would never see a salad bar ever again. and it seems to me that bulk buying is way safer than a salad bar.

* I would buy my seeds, nuts, grains, pasta, legumes, and some candy in the bulk food aisle. I was so proud of myself. I got these little plastic jars with screw on lids. I would write on the lid the code for the item. One of the checkers weighed an empty one and then wrote the weight of the empty jar on the top so I didn't "buy" the jar, too.
Way to reduce plastic.
At this point all those little jars are empty, washed and stored in a cabinet. :(

Reactions: Emma JC and Tom L.
We buy from azure standard, pick it up at a church near here. I order about 250 lbs of beans and oatmeal and other things, at least once a year, smaller orders sometimes. Lou, they have drop locations near you, or so it looks like it. Here is a map. Organic, non-GMO Food and Produce Delivered - Azure Standard
Huh, I had no idea. But thanks for the suggestion.
Their drop location is not super close but workable. However I live in an apartment and have no place to keep a lot of stuff.
The little jars I talked about earlier hold about 1.5 quarts. I would just go to the grocery store and get what I needed.

Reactions: Emma JC and feather