The Everything Oatmeal thread

I was looking for one too because I have a big canister of regular oats, and oats are something I kinda obsess about being organic. I want them gone :ignore:
Haven't made these, but I used to make bars like these--I'll look up that recipe. Lots of people requested it. This recipe isn't too much sugar-well, it calls for 1/2 cup maple syrup.I am not using maple syrup on them! Maybe I'll use date paste, or just brown sugar.
It uses lots of oats!

I made these--with changes. FIrst I blended 1/2 cup of oats in the blender and removed. I threw 7 dates in the blender, covered with hot water and let soften. Added the cup of pumpkin to it, and 1/2 cup apple cider and blended smooth.
I used 1.5 teasp each cinnamon and ginger, and half teas cloves. When I mixed it seemed to need more sweet so I added 2 Tblps brown sugar.
Pressed chopped walnuts on top and baked 40 min.
Came out pretty good! I just wonder what my proportions were to the recipes!
I do think using apple cider was a good idea, or maybe applesauce in place of some of the milk.
Raisins would be good-like the golden ones, plumped up in juice first. Or brandy

I put trail mix in my oatmeal! There are several varieties I have tried including high protein, energy, mega omega, summer trails, goji power and more. I get them at TJ Maxx. The brand is peak. Oatmeal is boring without additives!

I was going to say oatmeal keeps me full, but maybe that's because my idea of a "serving" is somewhat excessive by normal people's standards. (I think I use about one-and-a-half 8-ounce cups of dry oats for a meal, which amounts to at least 2 standard servings if I remember right). It's a pretty big bowl of oats anyway.

Edited to add: How many ounces is a serving of oatmeal?

Yep. I eat about 2 standard servings at breakfast (or lunch, if I have oats for lunch as I sometimes do. I don't remember ever having it for dinner... but now that I'm thinking about it.... :hmm: :drool: )

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
I was going to say oatmeal keeps me full, but maybe that's because my idea of a "serving" is somewhat excessive by normal people's standards. (I think I use about one-and-a-half 8-ounce cups of dry oats for a meal, which amounts to at least 2 standard servings if I remember right). It's a pretty big bowl of oats anyway.
That is a big serving! I use only 1/4 cup of dry oats for a serving!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I put trail mix in my oatmeal! There are several varieties I have tried including high protein, energy, mega omega, summer trails, goji power and more. I get them at TJ Maxx. The brand is peak. Oatmeal is boring without additives!
That's a really good idea that I haven't tried.

I use half a cup of oats and a cup of soy milk. then 1 tbsp flax seed and 1/4 to 1/2 cup fruit. don't like PB in my oatmeal but I do like chopped nuts. Maybe a little maple syrup.
but I have some new ideas to try now.

Losing weight or not there are some good ideas here.

I do:

1. blueberries and walnuts not almonds
2. cinnamon, no pears
3. ground flax, banana & peanut butter powder
4. turmeric, no pumpkin or pomegranate
5. no carrots, yes to walnuts and maple syrup on Saturdays

plus hemp seeds, cocoa, cayenne pepper, molasses, date and either soy curl crumbs or beans of some kind

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou
I make the 1/2 cup according to directions but I often only eat half. It’s not that it’s too much food, more that I can’t eat that much oatmeal in one sitting.

Losing weight or not there are some good ideas here.

:dismay:Not even one of those combos appeal to me!
1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 Tblsp ground flaxseed, at serving I cover with hot water
Add ins-
berries and amla
raisins and/or softened apples and cinnamon, cloves, ginger
date paste and spices
that's it.

1/2 cup oats, 1 cup water

The usual…Scoop of PB2, banana, tsp of brown sugar.
2nd option, pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar, banana.
3rd option, brown sugar, chopped nuts, banana.

:dismay:Not even one of those combos appeal to me!
1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 Tblsp ground flaxseed, at serving I cover with hot water
Add ins-
berries and amla
raisins and/or softened apples and cinnamon, cloves, ginger
date paste and spices
that's it.
I liked the first three.

I use half a cup of dry oats and that's pretty filling for me, though I usually add nuts and raisins or blueberries to it. Plain oatmeal is boring to me. I typically add a dash of maple syrup or a little brown sugar as well.

Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
when I make oatmeal during week, just for myself I use a 1/4 cup of rolled oats and with all the additions that is lots for me

on Saturdays, for two, I use almost a cup of steel cut and that works out perfectly with toast as a side dish

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
We have this huge ongoing thread about a food we seem to think of as unpalatable and needing all kinds of tips and tricks, yet it seems obvious that everyone here really loves oatmeal, and has their own preferences in how to make it---so why the need to keep acting like we choke it down? :???:

I will say one thing--I've read more ways that people like that sound awful, than ways that appeal :no: