The Everything Oatmeal thread

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Does oatmeal get enough love?

A lot of us eat it. Some of us eat it a few times a week. One member likes to have a little oatmeal with her fruit. :)
Some like Overnight Oats. Some like Steel Cut Oats. Some cook it in the microwave, some make instant pot oats.
Some like them on the train.
some like them in the rain.

I like oatmeal. I use the quick cooking kind (not instant) and use the microwave. I add dried fruit mix and trail mix to it. I have tried overnight oats but it only takes a couple minutes to make it fresh so I don't bother. I should eat it more often because it is so good for you!

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
ha ha, a little oatmeal with her fruit... I love it, thank you, especially as I just posted what I am about to eat and there is almost more fruit than oatmeal altho' I did forget to say that I added some red split lentils as well

I would never eat that amount of fruit, in a day, if I didn't put it in my oatmeal, and so I find it is a great vehicle for getting them in.

It is also warm and comforting and I also put some walnuts on top so that I am getting some extra protein in there too.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I like oatmeal. I use the quick cooking kind (not instant) and use the microwave. I add dried fruit mix and trail mix to it. I have tried overnight oats but it only takes a couple minutes to make it fresh so I don't bother. I should eat it more often because it is so good for you!
What is your recipe for microwave oatmeal. I have struggled with this for a long time. I use half a cup of oatmeal and one cup soy milk. A dash of salt. In a ceramic deep bowl. uncovered. but I have one of those microwave splash guards on top. 3 minutes. It comes out a little watery. and sometimes boils over.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
What is your recipe for microwave oatmeal. I have struggled with this for a long time. I use half a cup of oatmeal and one cup soy milk. A dash of salt. In a ceramic deep bowl. uncovered. but I have one of those microwave splash guards on top. 3 minutes. It comes out a little watery. and sometimes boils over.
I use a 1 qt. measuring cup and put 1/4 c. oatmeal and 1/2 cup water and the dried fruit pieces. The portions could be increased of course. I don't cook with milk but add some after it cooks. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and go another 30 seconds to a minute for consistency you want. This is the Quaker quick cooking oatmeal. It will boil over if you cook it too long.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I just cover the oats with water in a small bowl and use the 50% power setting for a minute. Doesn't go over that way. I use regular rolled oats. I'll add ground flax and non dairy milk if I have it after. I often add frozen fruit after cooking.
I don't have it for like 4 hours at break time

I use a 1 qt. measuring cup and put 1/4 c. oatmeal and 1/2 cup water and the dried fruit pieces. The portions could be increased of course. I don't cook with milk but add some after it cooks. Microwave for 1 minute, stir and go another 30 seconds to a minute for consistency you want. This is the Quaker quick cooking oatmeal. It will boil over if you cook it too long.
hmm. ok, I don't have a 1 quart measuring cup but I have a 2 cup one. I will try that with my 1/2 to 1. and I'll stop and stir it half way thru, too.

I just cover the oats with water in a small bowl and use the 50% power setting for a minute. Doesn't go over that way. I use regular rolled oats. I'll add ground flax and non dairy milk if I have it after. I often add frozen fruit after cooking.
I don't have it for like 4 hours at break time
so after cooking it you let it rest for 4 hours?

I love oatmeal even though it makes me sleepy. I like to undercook it so the oats still have some crunch to them. Sometimes I add oats throughout the cooking process so there’s a blend of gooey and crunchy oats. Sometimes I also add wheat germ.

Then I crumble dark brown sugar on top and pour Rice Dream over that. And then stir it all together.

I just made 3 days worth of overnight oats.
Per serving
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup oatmeal
3 tbsp yogurt
2 tbs apple sauce
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp chia

Reactions: Chryssie
I decided to give porridge another try recently and I am enjoying it. I like it sweet with fresh fruit and maple syrup.

A sprinkle of sugar and milk is how I would have had it traditionally when I was a child and I do quite like it the old-fashioned way but with plant milk.

I had bircher muesli yesterday, store bought, but I will make it next time as it's so easy to make!

so after cooking it you let it rest for 4 hours?
Yeah, it just does!
I normally don't even microwave it first, I just add the water and stuff and warm it at work

But if I'm having it right away I do like to do the minute, in the bowl I'm gonna eat it in, at half power. I've never had it spill over that way and it's just right
I've never understood the 'overnight oats' thing, or the 'recipes' for oatmeal. Put it together and warm, sit, or cook how you like it!
I found I like oat groats best, but never got in the habit of making them. I know they took 30 min pot-in-pot in the IP

when I do my "oatmeal dog's breakfast melange" I put a half a cup of oats in a large bowl and add the dates (and wakame crumbled) and cover them with a generous amount of water, I don't measure - put it in for 1 minute on high, then take it out and add my frozen berries on top and a bit more water if I feel it needs it and put that back in for another minute and a half - then I add all the other stuff and if it is too dry then I add some plant milk and mix it all together

when I make steel cut oats I put it in a pot on the stove - 3/4 cups steel cut to 3 cups water

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
Deep dish: 1/2 cup organic rolled oats, 1 - 1.25 cups of water, 1 sliced and/or diced banana, tablespoon or two of cinnamon, apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice, small handful of crushed walnuts, tsp of chia seeds, cook for 2 1/2
min in microwave, remove, keep covered and let rest for 3 min, then add blueberries and vanilla almond milk.
Enjoy!

I'm in love with the taste and texture of my very basic protein oat recipe lately. No addition of fruit or nuts etc. - don't ask me why. I use grams for liquids here because I use a kitchen scale to measure. These are rather thick oats but not brick like. I don't like my oats soupy.

70 g oats (I use the smaller ones for this)

1613890436610.png
120 g of unsweetened soy milk
200 g of water
30 g of protein powder, e. g. vanilla or cinnamon or a mix of both (the texture and taste of the powder makes or breaks this recipe)

I mix oats, milk and hot water and microwave on high for a minute. I let it sit for at least half an hour. Usually longer. I don't eat b/f but I sometimes eat classic b/f food for dinner so the oats usually expand while I'm working out or showering after work.
I heat the mix up again when I want to eat it because I like my oats warm and stir in the protein powder. I stir in the powder last because the mix tends to get a bit "rubbery" when it's reheated with the protein powder.

I love the oatmeal I've been making lately, almost like an orange cheesecake flavor. For a sweetener I add about 1 TBL of orange marmalade, a TBL of vegan cream cheese to add that cheesecake flavor, and I always add raisins, and when I have them (like right now), I also add dried cranberries, and last but not least, a sprinkle of cinnamon. I use water, no milk when I make it, and cook it until it's super creamy.

I'm enjoying seeing how everyone makes theirs, no two seem to be alike. :lick:

that is the joy of oatmeal, so versatile - you can grind it into a flour so easily and use it in anything, you can make it sweet or savoury, it is definitely a 'stocked up' kind of food

Emma JC

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52
I love the oatmeal I've been making lately, almost like an orange cheesecake flavor. For a sweetener I add about 1 TBL of orange marmalade, a TBL of vegan cream cheese to add that cheesecake flavor, and I always add raisins, and when I have them (like right now), I also add dried cranberries, and last but not least, a sprinkle of cinnamon. I use water, no milk when I make it, and cook it until it's super creamy.

OMG...you had me at cheesecake. This is very very baaaaaad.
😮😳😍