The Everything Oatmeal thread

@silva I don't have an Instant Pot(?)- at least not yet. As it is, I hardly ever use my blender (or my yogurt maker- but that might change because I've become aware of vegan yogurt recipes). I do use my Crock Pot/ Slow Cooker, but I should probably stop being so nervous about leaving it on during the day when I'm at work. I think that's sort of the point of having the thing: put the food in before you leave, and come home to a nice, hot dinner all ready for you!
If you had an Instant Pot you'd have a slow cooker and a yogurt maker, and wouldn't have to worry about leaving it plugged in :up:
I love my Instant Pot

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
Before I retired I hardly ever used my crockpot while I was at work. Most of my recipes were like 4 to 6 hours and from when I left for work and then got back it was more like 10 to 11 hours. Plus getting the stuff organized the night before or in the morning was somewhat challenging. I mostly used the crockpot on the weekend. but I didn't really have any fear of leaving the crock pot on with no one home.

The instant pot does have a "delay start" button. I've yet to use it and if I was still working I might still be reluctant to let my food sit around so long.

More often I make a big batch of stuff and then separate and freeze it so I just have to reheat it.

Reactions: Emma JC
Before I retired I hardly ever used my crockpot while I was at work. Most of my recipes were like 4 to 6 hours and from when I left for work and then got back it was more like 10 to 11 hours. Plus getting the stuff organized the night before or in the morning was somewhat challenging. I mostly used the crockpot on the weekend. but I didn't really have any fear of leaving the crock pot on with no one home.

The instant pot does have a "delay start" button. I've yet to use it and if I was still working I might still be reluctant to let my food sit around so long.

More often I make a big batch of stuff and then separate and freeze it so I just have to reheat it.
the delay is great for starting beans. I'll put the beans and water, 1:2 or more for soup. If adding veggies I've done this for just 2 min cook time. When I get home pressure is released, and beans only need the four minutes the veggie need to cook without getting mushy

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I would not use a crock pot when not at home. It seems to have a worse reputation than other appliances.
My toaster/air fryer oven is clear in directions to always unplug it 🤔

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
I would not use a crock pot when not at home. It seems to have a worse reputation than other appliances.
did you buy a new one?

did you buy a new one?
Yes! This one-
My son had been complaining about ours being slow, and now I realize how right he was! You can watch this one make toast!
The air fryer is so-so. I did frozen onion rings and they took like 20 or more minutes, but came out crispy.
I really wanted the toaster oven style, so I'm happy. I also got to use my $50 gift card from work, which was what led me to this!

Hmmm... I haven't worried about just leaving something plugged in. Maybe I should.

I have an appliance timer I sometimes use- one of the simple ones that has two things on the dial: one that turns an appliance on and one to turn it off.

(edited to add: corrected spelling errors. My OCD: let me sowh show you it.)

Last edited:
I have yet to unplug mine.

Whenever my bananas get over ripe I cut them up and put them in the freezer.
I mostly use them for smoothies but unless I make a conscious effort to use them up eventually my freezer becomes full of bananas. At that point it becomes banana bread baking day.

But I've now found a new use for frozen bananas. I modified the above recipe to use frozen bananas and it came out great. If you run out of frozen bananas you can use regular one. My guess is the riper the better.

The author claims that this recipe is the GOAT. And nicknamed this recipe as Overnight GOATmeal. That might be a reach but its not too far off.

Anyway this is how I did it.

1. Add 2 frozen bananas and 1 cup of plant milk, one cup of plant-based yogurt, to blender, and and blend.
2. Add 1 cup oatmeal, 2 tbsp flax seed, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon. maybe a pinch of salt. Stir.
3. Put the mixture in two containers and store in the frig.

the next day you can warm it up in the microwave - or not. Then just add 2 tbsp of toasted chopped pecans before eating.

The pecans are maybe optional but they really push this OO over the top.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I had to read this twice because I thought you were blending the oats. It was sounding like an oatmeal smoothie which sounds kind of good to me. But then I realized that was not the case. And for a smoothie there would be no need to put it in the fridge overnight.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
I had to read this twice because I thought you were blending the oats. It was sounding like an oatmeal smoothie which sounds kind of good to me. But then I realized that was not the case. And for a smoothie there would be no need to put it in the fridge overnight.
a banana oatmeal smoothie.
I used to make oatmeal/banana/chocolate/PB smoothies and drink them in the car on the way to work.

I think this is how I made it
  • 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1.5 cup Chocolate plant milk
  • 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
Blend until smooth

I haven't made one in years. I gotta do it again.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I used to make oatmeal/banana/chocolate/PB smoothies and drink them in the car on the way to work.

• 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
Blend until smooth

I want to try that. It’s really appealing to me.

I'm going to make this tonight. I think I'll try using the overripe bananas I have in the freezer and do the first part in the mini blender.

I made this again yesterday. but this time I did have some overripe bananas so I just followed the recipe. So I didn't use my blender at all. I did not like it as much. Maybe I didn't stir it enough. I also made it like regular oatmeal the other day and it came out pretty good.

Mash the banana and mix it with the milk, yogurt, and oats. cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir and do another minute. then add everything else.

I'm sort of glad I found this. Mostly I use bananas in cold cereal and strawberries or blueberries for hot oatmeal. This gives me another way to eat bananas.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
@Lou Maybe those were regional specialties? The only one I might have seen in my local supermarket was the Quaker Chocolate Chip, and I don't think I ever tried that- I was always into fruity or cinnamony oats, although there's nothing wrong with chocolate. But they do all sound like they were good.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou
Sort of sad but since I haven't had any of these. Some of them sound good, too.

What? no dinosaur oatmeal! That was my kids favorite.the eggs were different colors and the shell dissolved into little dinosaur candies or something. I guess they're still around... 1648070604097.png
I used to eat Uncle Sam cereal. The flax seeds were whole though

• Love
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
I've really been enjoying oat groats so much more than rolled oats. 13 min in IP and leave overnight (no keep warm) and they're fluffy and most like perfectly cooked brown rice. In fact, I'll add a bit of oatmeal at serving and raisins and it's more like I liked rice pudding than any I've made with rice!

• Friendly

• 1/2 cup of oats
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 1 tbsp Peanut Butter
Blend until smooth

I have a similar one, minus the oats:
1 frozen banana
1 cup of nondairy milk (I usually use almond milk)
2 TBSP peanut butter
1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa
1 TBSP ground flax seed, though sometimes I forget about this

If the banana wasn't ripe enough, I'll put in a splash of maple syrup.

This is also good with blueberries thrown in.