The Everything Oatmeal thread

I am at this age that when I have oatmeal, it is one of the things I eat when I do, three times a day. I don't snack in between, when I have the oatmeal, there is something else I would have that I don't get to. That happens to generally be the whole grain sandwich I have with hummus and slices of pickle, which I also like, as either thing is full of grains, and I don't trade out what I have with my vegetables and I don't trade out what I have with beans or lentils, that way. So though I like how I have my oatmeal the way I do I just get it every few days. I really don't eat more than that now.

I was nauseous earlier. It was going to be oatmeal for me today, after my green tea and portion of complete cookie, but I have not even had that already. I just had slices of bread, and then thinking I got a can of vegetable soup when I opened it I saw I had a can of lentils so I had that. I am trying having the tea and cookie just now and will see if I handle that.

I was nauseous earlier. It was going to be oatmeal for me today, after my green tea and portion of complete cookie, but I have not even had that already. I just had slices of bread, and then thinking I got a can of vegetable soup when I opened it I saw I had a can of lentils so I had that. I am trying having the tea and cookie just now and will see if I handle that.
Hope you feel better soon!

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I miss Trader Joes jumbo raisin variety soooooo much :pout:.
I really need raisins I like as the regular Thompson and golden are not doing it for me.
Mixing with cranberries is ... better

I just remembered currants! I used to buy those for oats

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I miss Trader Joes jumbo raisin variety soooooo much :pout:.
I really need raisins I like as the regular Thompson and golden are not doing it for me.
Mixing with cranberries is ... better

I just remembered currants! I used to buy those for oats
It took a while but I have successfully transitioned to normal sized raisins in my oatmeal. Y'know once they are in the oatmeal and on your spoon it doesn't really make a difference. :)

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I guess my favorite is fresh blueberries, and/or fresh strawberries.
but when I don't those I go with raisins.

one tablespoon of ground flax seed, a tsp of maple syrup, a dash of cinnamon... maybe a tsp of slivered almonds too.

Now that its so cold here in the mornings I expect to go back to having oatmeal every day.

It took a while but I have successfully transitioned to normal sized raisins in my oatmeal. Y'know once they are in the oatmeal and on your spoon it doesn't really make a difference. :)
They do not! No they don't! They have a different taste and different texture no matter how well reg raisins are cooked or soaked. I have never liked regular raisins, but when I found the TJ"s jumbo I was hooked

I do like berries or chopped apples and cinnamon, or dates

I am not picky about fruit in bite sizes to have in oatmeal. I use any that I happen to have. But... I had been well stocked up earlier but in recent times I have not managed trips to the store for food as much, and all that I stocked up on has gotten mostly depleted. I am glad still I had so much of what I use most. Now I need to stock up again, and wonder if I can do so that soon again. I ran out of oatmeal, I bought more right away, but then I ran out of the nondairy milk, and I carry what I need back and there has been so many things I needed, that I did not get the needed milk, until just the last time I went, so I can go back to oatmeal after a number of days without any of it. And these colder days I want it more. Still I have other things here that I want with it.

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
Around these holiday times I am not eating quite like I do at any other times, the oatmeal I enjoy having is more expendable, and I have it now much less frequently for that.

Reactions: bEt
It was especially pie that was having me full enough, even while cutting it in enough slices for a week, I had made it with organic pumpkin, seasoned with nutmeg, and this time ginger, and agave nectar, in an oatmeal pie shell. I will have pumpkin pie like this from now on, as pumpkin pies I would find at the store will always have dairy. This way I can tell J don't even need milk of any kind in it. I want it like pumpkin, just sweetened enough, not really too much though, and not like being milky. This last pie is gone, and I am back to oatmeal the way I generally will have it.

Reactions: Emma JC
I actually bought more of what I need now to make more of for the pumpkin pie my way, already, which I really liked. I will make it again soon, now. But I finally got into the routine of having oatmeal when I finished a complete cookie, broken apart for three times, when I have my green tea, that the third day I will put the leftover crumbs from that in the oatmeal, and I do like it that way, along with what else I put in it. I will still continue with that for awhile still, before interrupting it again. When I make the pie, I am not having any of the cookie either.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I buy bananas but I only use them in cold cereal. I mostly put strawberries or blueberries in may oatmeal.

One day I ran out of strawberries and blueberries, I still had bananas. And I wanted oatmeal. Was kind of thinking what I could to to make the bananas work with the oatmeal.
First I added a tbsp of peanut butter powder to the cooked oatmeal, then I mushed the bananas in. Came out pretty good.

Not dates.
but strawberries and blueberries are my favorites.
have had apple in Overnight Oats.

Reactions: PTree15
There are various fruits I find nice to have with oatmeal, I don't know if others try the same fruits with it. Like who else has used dates in their oatmeal?

Anything goes if you like it.

I'm not a fan of too many sweet things in mueseli or porridge. I prefer nuts, seeds or berries. Definitely do not like bananas with oats.

There are various fruits I find nice to have with oatmeal, I don't know if others try the same fruits with it. Like who else has used dates in their oatmeal?
I haven't but I think I would like it. Now I have to buy some dates. Although I do have date paste/syrup so I might try that for now instead of my sprinkle of brown sugar.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I haven't tried dates, but I have had raisins in oatmeal quite a bit. I also love blueberries and walnuts in oatmeal. I make baked oatmeal with bananas, and that is really tasty. I also put cinnamon in oatmeal. I like Lou's idea for apples. I might try that next.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC