The Everything Oatmeal thread

One of my favourite ways to prepare oatmeal is to cook about 3/4 cup of oats with about 3 to 3 1/2 cups water with a pinch of salt. After about 10 min, I turn off the heat, mix in a tbsp of tahini & molasses (mixed previously). I transfer it to a bowl, add a bit more of the tahini & molasses and top with chopped dried figs and walnuts or other dried fruits and nuts. It's so delicious and comforting every time. With love into the day!
Sometimes, I also ferment the oats, which is as east as soaking them but for a few days, stirring occasionally. They get a pleasant tang and fruitiness that reminds of yogurt but not really. I mix it with cooked oats and top for example with a tart apple, (dried) dark berries and ginger.
This sounds really good except for the tahini…I’m not a fan. I might do peanut butter though! I love figs but would probably sub the walnuts for pecans. :lick:

Wow interesting to see how the discussion evolved. Been contributing a year ago : )
I wrote an in-depth post on WFPB oatmeal.

Would be curious about feedback

lots of great ideas which I already incorporate - I use oatmeal as a medium to take in all the really nutritionous foods that you wouldn't put in/on cereal etc. it ends up looking like the dogs dinner and yet very tasty

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I've started keeping the cooking water from black rice. It makes a great stock to soak porridge oats in. It's mainly for the funky purple colour, but it tastes nice and is hopefully good for you.

I like Lenny&Larry's Complete Cookies which I have now with jasmine green tea, once (with 18 ounces water) at the start of each day (actually before it gets light with the break of day), I used to have coffee but this was a switch to what I saw was better, especially for my case. I eat a piece of the cookie each time from a bowl now. When when crumbs accumulate I don't have to just throw them out, and cereal is a good thing to dump them in, and I do so when I have oatmeal, while I have it heated up first with oat milk, cashew milk, or some alternative milk, and put in plant-based protein powder, and usually bits of fruit. I often put ground nutmeg I still have in it, when I remember it, too. Cookie crumbs are not wasted that way, it works fine with them.

Through these hot days here where I am, I have skipped the oatmeal and just used Raisin Bran in its place instead, with oat milk. But I have plenty of dry oatmeal ready to use again, when these hot days stop. I will go back to having the hot jasmine green tea that I have been skipping a lot, and missed, too.

I miss the oatmeal the way I have it, I really especially miss the hot jasmine green tea as I have it, with ginger and agave nectar. But it is really hot here. I would have it if the high just reaches less than 98°F for the high. But for the next several days the high reaches 107°F.

This day is the last of what turned out to be a very long string of very hot days generally with triple digit highs, even at 108°F. Tomorrow is supposed to have a big drop in temperature with coming rain. I am counting on it, I really plan to have my hot jasmine green tea that I could not justify with such hot days.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I went right back to having my jasmine green tea right away, even when it had not cooled down so much yet, though it is better now, I really missed it and wanted it for each day again. I have Raisin Bran that is just enough for one more bowl and I want to finish it before I open up the unopened dry oatmeal box I have, but I ran out of oat milk, and I have to get what I can for replenishing for that, even to finish that last bowl of cold cereal and have oatmeal again soon after that. In fact I have a lot to replenish on. I will manage to get to the store for that milk and a start on replenishing other things then on Sunday, and I wait until then, while it is not very hot anymore, that I would have oatmeal again.

I am also now on Mastodon and would like finding more who I could connect with, join me with app for it if you would. FredVegBur (@vegbur@mstdn.social)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I haven't enjoyed oats of any kind since Trader Joes discontinued the jumbo raisin variety :dismay:
Where can I find them? Someone else must sell those, yet I've only seen at TJ's.

I went right back to having my jasmine green tea right away, even when it had not cooled down so much yet, though it is better now, I really missed it and wanted it for each day again. I have Raisin Bran that is just enough for one more bowl and I want to finish it before I open up the unopened dry oatmeal box I have, but I ran out of oat milk, and I have to get what I can for replenishing for that, even to finish that last bowl of cold cereal and have oatmeal again soon after that. In fact I have a lot to replenish on. I will manage to get to the store for that milk and a start on replenishing other things then on Sunday, and I wait until then, while it is not very hot anymore, that I would have oatmeal again.

I am also now on Mastodon and would like finding more who I could connect with, join me with app for it if you would. FredVegBur (@vegbur@mstdn.social)
You could mix raisin bran in your oatmeal :shrug:. I would, just thin it more

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I haven't enjoyed oats of any kind since Trader Joes discontinued the jumbo raisin variety :dismay:
Where can I find them? Someone else must sell those, yet I've only seen at TJ's.
I used to get those raisins at TJs too.
Regular raisins is sort of my fall-back oatmeal additive. As long as I have fresh fruit - that is what I use.
Strawberries, or blueberries are my number one and two.

• Friendly

I have things back to a normal routine now. Either for cold cereal or the oatmeal I was using a plant-based milk, and so I waited ultimately for that. I have the jasmine green tea, with ginger and agave nectar, that I use, now regularly, once before each day, and I definitely am having oatmeal, available for me through the year until the next times of heat next summer, and I hope I will make it through that, with the warming that yet happens. I still use oatmeal for adding leftover cookie crumbs, I heat it up currently with almond milk now, with agave nectar and Vega protein powder, some bits of fruit, and a little nutmeg.