The Everything Oatmeal thread

Anyone ever tried oats + soya milk + mushed beans + chopped dates?
I use kidney beans but I suppose any beans will do.
I eat this everyday now, can't get enough.

(the mushed beans + dates are more of a "sweet red bean paste" like in mochi)

Last edited:
welcome to the forum, @Jotaro

I don't do mushed beans but I do occasionally added lentils and I definitely add dates and some oat milk. Sometimes I use the crumbs of soy curls instead of the lentils. There are most that 15 items in my oatmeal, most of the time. :rolleyes:

Mushed beans are a good idea as having the extra protein burst will keep you satiated that much longer during the day.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Jotaro
I did another recipe for overnight oats.
I'm calling these blueberry overnight oats.
Very tasty. I add milk and heat it up in the microwave in the morning it came out perfect. However if I wasn't going to heat it up I would double the amount of milk.

1/2 cut oats
1 tbsp flax seeds
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk - I used plain soy milk
1/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup yogurt - I used Silk Vanilla.

330 calories
14 G protein
10 g fat
9 g fiber

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I just discovered that I the Trader Joe's Flaxseed I'm using does not have its omega-3 content on its label. So according to Cronometer I am not getting any.
Easy fix - find a brand of flaxseed that does. don't actually have to buy it. just use it in Cronometer.

BTW, flaxseed does not have much protein. 1.5 g/tbsp

I just discovered that I the Trader Joe's Flaxseed I'm using does not have its omega-3 content on its label. So according to Cronometer I am not getting any.
Easy fix - find a brand of flaxseed that does. don't actually have to buy it. just use it in Cronometer.

BTW, flaxseed does not have much protein. 1.5 g/tbsp

Linseed/flaxseed is a good source of omega 3. It's not the brand but the actual product that contains the latter.

The three main omega-3 fatty acids are alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoicacid (EPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). ALA is found mainly in plant oils such as flaxseed, soybean, and canola oils. DHA and EPA are found in fish and other seafood.

Linseed/flaxseed is a good source of omega 3. It's not the brand but the actual product that contains the latter.
I know. its just a CronOmeter/labeling thing. when you put a brand into CronOmeter it relies on the product's label for the nutrients. The Trader Joe's Flax doesn't have omega -3 on its label. And if Cronometer didn't know how much omegas I was getting - neither did I. But its an easy enough fix. just use a different brand or even the generic option. Just for the purpose of CronOmeter's input. IRL I'm still used TJs.

The same thing has come up with amino acids. If the brand doesn't list amino acids than CronOmeter doesn't know you ate any. It will put your protein in the green but the amino acids will come out much lower. It was this amino acid/protein discrepancy that first alerted me to this issue.

for non brand specific products Cronometer uses one of the two big databases. (the USDA provides one, I can't remember the other). But for processed foods and brand names it relies on the company's label.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
Two more things about flaxseed or the oil from them: The whole, unground seed keeps much better than either the ground seed or the oil. So I usually buy the whole seed, grind about a cup at a time every now and then, and keep the ground seed in the refrigerator. You also should be careful to drink a good amount of liquid with ground flaxseed, because otherwise they can become a hard-to-digest lump inside you.

We now return to our discussion about oats!

I actually had oats for dinner last night: a BIG bowl of quick (but uncooked) oats, with soymilk and a locally-grown, perfectly-ripe peach. 🍑:lick: (Oh- and a handful of dry-roasted unsalted peanuts).:drool:

(Well, who wants a hot dinner in hot, sweaty weather? :sweat:)

Last edited:
I really do prefer the oat groats, but really only the first day
Last night I just poured boiling water over them, 1/4 cup groats, 3/4 cup water, and covered. I liked them a lot, and now don't feel I need to make a weeks worth!
I have them with ground flax, and either blueberries, cooked apple or raisins

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Blended Berry Overnight Oats

Makes two servings
you can use fresh berries or different kinds of berries.
I add a little more milk and nuke it for for breakfast

Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup (55g) frozen raspberries
    • 1/2 cup (60g) frozen blueberries
    • 1 banana
    • 1/2 cup (55g) rolled oats
    • 1 tbsp chia seeds
    • 2 tbsp ground almonds
    • 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
      Steps
      1. Add all the ingredients to a high speed blender and blitz until smooth.
      2. Pour into two jars, cover and refrigerate over night.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Swedish Oatmeal

Add 1 cup oats to a blender or food processor and pulse until you have a fine powder; store the powder in small ziplock bag or other sealed container. Next time you make oatmeal, cook the oats according to the stove-top instructions, but substitute a quarter of the regular oats with the powdered oats (so instead of using 1 cup oats, you would use ¾ cup rolled oats and ¼ cup powdered oats). Add the same amount of water as you normally would (this is usually double the amount of cereal, but I recommend starting with slightly less and adding more liquid if necessary). With my go-to Quaker Oats, I had creamy and oh-so-dreamy oatmeal in about five minutes. Add toppings (seeds, nuts, fruit and honey are great options) and revel in your culinary prowess.​

Peanut butter is good, yes. But not essential.

Some days in school we have oatmeal with blueberry jam for breakfast. That's also very delicious. Sometimes there is strawberry jam, but it's too sweet and makes me feel sick.

Reactions: Lou
My daughter just gave me three bags of organic oatmeal. She was going to make something for the dog then decided not to. I guess I better start eating more oatmeal again. I’ve been off it for awhile. I want to find a good recipe for oatmeal bars.

Reactions: Emma JC
I was looking for one too because I have a big canister of regular oats, and oats are something I kinda obsess about being organic. I want them gone :ignore:
Haven't made these, but I used to make bars like these--I'll look up that recipe. Lots of people requested it. This recipe isn't too much sugar-well, it calls for 1/2 cup maple syrup.I am not using maple syrup on them! Maybe I'll use date paste, or just brown sugar.
It uses lots of oats!

Answer: peanut butter.

I've heard this before but I've never tried it. I just got a big carton of organic supermarket oatmeal yesterday. I think I'll go ahead and try it. I'll let you guys know what I think.
I didn't like it that much but I think I just need to add more stuff. Maybe a banana and some jelly or agave syrup? Cinnamon?