The Everything Oatmeal thread

I like thick oatmeal when I cook it. Thin/liquidy if eating soaked/cold.

I thought the “overnight” appeal was for convenience. You can prepare the night before then save a few minutes in the morning, especially if you have a job to go too. I never had that problem because I’m always up so early. I had enough time to clean the whole house and prepare three meals before work lol.

I thought the “overnight” appeal was for convenience. You can prepare the night before then save a few minutes in the morning, especially if you have a job to go too.

Me, too.
But I do it because it seems to come out better.

I still haven't quite figured out how to get it to come our right in the microwave. And I don't like staying over a stove and stirring.

Reactions: KLS52
Me, too.
But I do it because it seems to come out better.

I still haven't quite figured out how to get it to come our right in the microwave. And I don't like staying over a stove and stirring.

I put a half cup of rolled oats in my bowl, cover with water and microwave for 1 minute - take it out and if it needs more water I add a bit and then put a date (chopped up) on top and my frozen berries and put it back in the microwave for 1.5 minutes - then add all the other goodies to it and mix it up, top with banana, cinnamon and nuts. That seems to cook the oatmeal well and means no slaving over the stove.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I put a half cup of rolled oats in my bowl, cover with water and microwave for 1 minute - take it out and if it needs more water I add a bit and then put a date (chopped up) on top and my frozen berries and put it back in the microwave for 1.5 minutes - then add all the other goodies to it and mix it up, top with banana, cinnamon and nuts. That seems to cook the oatmeal well and means no slaving over the stove.

Emma JC
Thanks. that is a technique I have not tried.

Reactions: Emma JC
Cooked oatmeal. I add a cup of boiling water (I have an electric tea kettle that I love. It’s fast and easy) to 1/2 cup oats. Then I microwave an additional 1 1/2-2 minutes. I add a splash of creamer and whatever else I feel like and eat.

Reactions: Emma JC
All I know is I love the overnight oats. Sometimes I add a little extra milk and “drink” it lol. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s so refreshing.

Reactions: anarchycuisine
One of my favourite ways to prepare oatmeal is to cook about 3/4 cup of oats with about 3 to 3 1/2 cups water with a pinch of salt. After about 10 min, I turn off the heat, mix in a tbsp of tahini & molasses (mixed previously). I transfer it to a bowl, add a bit more of the tahini & molasses and top with chopped dried figs and walnuts or other dried fruits and nuts. It's so delicious and comforting every time. With love into the day!
Sometimes, I also ferment the oats, which is as east as soaking them but for a few days, stirring occasionally. They get a pleasant tang and fruitiness that reminds of yogurt but not really. I mix it with cooked oats and top for example with a tart apple, (dried) dark berries and ginger.

Does no one else just cover reg rolled oats with hot water and eat them straight off?
I put my container of rolled oats with ground flax, a spoon of frozen date paste and blueberries and on break I just add hot water to cover and stir. No sitting

Does no one else just cover reg rolled oats with hot water and eat them straight off?
I put my container of rolled oats with ground flax, a spoon of frozen date paste and blueberries and on break I just add hot water to cover and stir. No sitting
I would have to microwave for at least a minute and let it sit another minute. I want the oats soft/cooked. Just pouring hot water and eating immediately wouldn’t soften the oats enough for my liking. But if it works for you that’s great. Certainly is convenient especially for a work setting.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

my body doesn't like uncooked or partially cooked oats and that is why I microwave them - I also use the oatmeal to facilitate all the other nutritious things like, mushroom powder, wakame, turmeric/pepper, flax, hemp hearts, dark cocoa powder, cinnamon, pb powder, greens powder, vit c/zinc/cal/mag/etc, date, cayenne, walnuts, banana - I put it into Cronometer and it is amazing how much of my daily vitamins etc get covered and for only 750-800 calories - I usually eat very late in the morning or early afternoon and so just have two meals a day

Emma JC

I put it into Cronometer and it is amazing how much of my daily vitamins etc get covered and for only 750-800 calories -

Emma JC
I don't put half the stuff into mine that Emma does but I can check off from 4 - 7 of the Daily Dozen with a bowl of oatmeal.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Big porridge fan here. Here's my most simple everyday breakfast recipe:

The night before: put a small cup of rolled oats in a pan. Add some raisins. Cover with water. Leave overnight (way longer than necessary, but it's convenient to do before bed).
Morning: add a 1/4 teaspoon of mace and a large teaspoon of peanut butter. Cook for a few minutes.

Grated apple or other fruit are a nice addition.

I never used to like porridge when it was made the old fashioned way (in the UK): just milk and cooked until stodgy. I don't know why, but I think oats cook better in water.

I really like oatmeal as a template for mucking about. The trouble is, whenever I think I've had a new idea, I discover that the oatmeal artist or the porridgelady already did it ages ago. Though to be honest, as fun as trying new recipes can be, in my experience they're never quite as good as your mainstay one (beetroot porridge I'm looking at you!).

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Why on earth are oat groats so hard to find? I had bought them at Whole Foods, in their bulk section, now they're discontinued!
I ended up buying from amazon.

The honeymoon is over for overnight oats lol. I finally got tired so I’m back to hot oatmeal. For now.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
Why on earth are oat groats so hard to find? I had bought them at Whole Foods, in their bulk section, now they're discontinued!
I ended up buying from amazon.
You mean wholegrain oats? I don't think I've ever seen those in a shop. IMO pinhead is a waste of time, so I'll need some convincing that the game is worth the candle with whole groats.

You mean wholegrain oats? I don't think I've ever seen those in a shop. IMO pinhead is a waste of time, so I'll need some convincing that the game is worth the candle with whole groats.
They're hard to find here too, but I so much prefer the whole grains. Don't get the "waste of time" though. I put a bowl of grain and water in the Instant pot and it does it all by itself!

Oatmeal. Rolled is already steamed, so it is already cooked. I'm in the US. I buy from Azure Standard in 25 or 50 lbs bags. They have organic oats. I keep them in the large tupperware container I used to keep flour in, and 3 and 5 gallon food grade buckets.

I'm a fan of steel cut oats. I use oats and water, ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 or something in between. Bring it to a boil, then turn off and let it sit a half hour, put in quart containers which refrigerate or freeze fine. I just warm it up a cooked cup of them the next day with cranberry/orange cooked puree, flax/chia, cinnamon, honey.

Groats, I use the same ratio of 1:3 or 1:4 with water, bring to a boil, and then stir for a while, then after about a half hour it is done. Package as above. They are mushier and more like barley in my opinion. I still eat them but may not buy them again.

Mr feather is a thick rolled oats fan. He takes a little more than 1/2 cup of them, with water, heats it in the microwaves, twice, stirring in the middle. He added either blueberries or raisins, adds flax/chia, cinnamon, and honey. He will sometimes add a home canned fruit puree instead of berries or raisins. When he watched the Dr Greger video on how blueberries make you smarter, he began telling me each day he had blueberries that I needed to watch out because his smartness was increasing. :laughing: He's a funny man!

We make oatmeal cookies all the time so that we can substitute those for a breakfast if we are running out early in the morning, or for a snack to keep in the truck.

There is also a savory oatmeal I like for breakfast. Oats, little broccoli trees, some garlic, and some miso dissolved in water. Sometimes I use chopped stems of broccoli, either way it is satisfying and delicious.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52