The Everything Oatmeal thread

yup, it is the ground part that is important when it comes to refrigeration - unground flax seeds are probably fine but for any lengthy storage I would keep them in the freezer or the fridge (I have seeds in my "emergency stash" and so they don't get used, so they are in the freezer)

chia seeds unground are fine anywhere

I also keep my hemp hearts in the fridge

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Agree
Reactions: silva and Lou
I don’t think chia needs to be refrigerated but it’s ok to do so.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Blueberry Overnight Oats

• ½ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup milk of choice
  • 4 tbs blueberries, fresh
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • Half a container of blueberry yogurt.
  • 1 tbsp ground flax seed
Apple Overnight Oats
  • ½ cup rolled oats
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • ½ cup milk of choice
  • 4 tbsp (2 oz) of applesauce
  • 1 tsp cinnamon powder
  • 4 tbsp (2 oz) plain of vanilla yogurt
Instructions
  1. Throw everything in a jar, screw the lid on top, shake, and off it goes into the fridge.
  2. The next morning add a dash of milk, a sweetener (if you want) and enjoy!

Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong. I’ve using one cup milk to 1/2 cup oats, same as when I cook them. I love it though. But I might make one with just the half cup of milk.

Apparently I’ve been doing it wrong. I’ve using one cup milk to 1/2 cup oats, same as when I cook them. I love it though. But I might make one with just the half cup of milk.
I don't know if that is wrong. I've seen that in a few recipes. The recipes I have been using do call for 1/2 cup milk but I'm also adding yogurt and fruit. Plus in the morning I add 1/4 cup of milk and then nuke it so I can have my OOs warms.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52

You really don't need to mesure anything but just cover the oats with enough liquid; i.e. either water, apple juice or pb milk and leave for a couple of hours/or all night long.
If using fresh fruit such as berries, I would add them just before serving. It's only grated apple that is recommended to soak for a few hours.
Additional wheatgerm also makes a gorgeous mueseli.

I never mesure hardly anything and it all comes out well in the end. :cool:

Yeah, been taking the rolled oats dry, with a Tblsp date paste, and a handful of blueberries. Just cover with boiling water and stir, and eat.
Scared to try flax again :dizzy:. I'll wait to get the golden first- the brown is trash to me!

Is all oatmeal even the Organic still found to be contaminated with Roundup? Same for Grapes and Wheat.

• Sad
Reactions: KLS52
Is all oatmeal even the Organic still found to be contaminated with Roundup? Same for Grapes and Wheat.
Oh, I'm glad you brought that up. its worth emphazing. a lot of food and especially grains and beans are contaminated with round-up. How dangerous that is debatable. but best bet is to buy organic. Besides our own health its best for the environment (animals and water).

This shouldn't pose a problem. There are lots of organic oatmeal out there. I used to buy my oatmeal in the bulk food aisle. cheap and organic. but the bulk food aisle is gone due to covid. (will it ever come back?)

Just checked the local supermarkets web site and not only did they have a lot of organics - some were almost as inexpensive as regular.

I'm really glad you reminded me of this. I've been eating so much oatmeal this winter. I just bought a big container of generic oatmeal. but I forgot to check - and it isn't organic. :(

And to the best of my knowledge organic oatmeal won't be contaminated with roundup.

a few of the organic products tested did contain traces of glyphosate—possibly from pesticides drifting from nearby conventionally grown crops, or cross-contamination in factories. But none of the levels were above even the EWG's stringent threshold for safety.​

Oh, I'm glad you brought that up. its worth emphazing. a lot of food and especially grains and beans are contaminated with round-up. How dangerous that is debatable. but best bet is to buy organic. Besides our own health its best for the environment (animals and water).

This shouldn't pose a problem. There are lots of organic oatmeal out there. I used to buy my oatmeal in the bulk food aisle. cheap and organic. but the bulk food aisle is gone due to covid. (will it ever come back?)

Just checked the local supermarkets web site and not only did they have a lot of organics - some were almost as inexpensive as regular.

I'm really glad you reminded me of this. I've been eating so much oatmeal this winter. I just bought a big container of generic oatmeal. but I forgot to check - and it isn't organic. :(

And to the best of my knowledge organic oatmeal won't be contaminated with roundup.

a few of the organic products tested did contain traces of glyphosate—possibly from pesticides drifting from nearby conventionally grown crops, or cross-contamination in factories. But none of the levels were above even the EWG's stringent threshold for safety.​

But the organic has been found to have a lot of roundup. YouTube videos on it, and grapes. I gave up wheat recently. I'm going raw. but it's shame that organic has any at all.

But the organic has been found to have a lot of roundup. YouTube videos on it, and grapes. I gave up wheat recently. I'm going raw. but it's shame that organic has any at all.
Not that often. Not that much.

In the above article there is a petition to sign at the bottom.
Plus they have a chart showing the results of their tests.
In other threads we have praised Bobs Red Mill. seems like their oats are maybe the best bet, too.

Also keep in mind that organic oat fields are not intentionally sprayed with round up. but the stuff can be carried in the air and water to contaminate a neighboring field.

Another thing that becomes apparent is that despite Kelloggs claims that they vigorously wash their oats during processing, most of their products remain contaminated at dangerously high levels.

I don't understand why there aren't more dispenser bulk containers. Fresh Thyme has both, the bins now contain prepackaged bags, and the ones with pull down levers are still available--but they replaced all the bags with plastic tubs! I seriously don't understand that, and couldn't get an answer. I still grab one from the produce.They have yet to approve your own bags.
I try and stick with organic, I'll have to check out Bobs again

Reactions: Lou
I don't understand why there aren't more dispenser bulk containers. Fresh Thyme has both, the bins now contain prepackaged bags, and the ones with pull down levers are still available--but they replaced all the bags with plastic tubs! I seriously don't understand that, and couldn't get an answer. I still grab one from the produce.They have yet to approve your own bags.
I try and stick with organic, I'll have to check out Bobs again
I think its for the safety of the checkers. The bags you bring to the store could have covid on them.
The little upscale market that I go to still has the infrastructure for bulk items and salad bars but I'm afraid both of those things are covid casualties.

They will put your groceries back in the cart and you can take the cart outside and bag your own groceries in your own bags. but they don't want their checkers or baggers touching stuff that comes from outside.

I think its for the safety of the checkers. The bags you bring to the store could have covid on them.
The little upscale market that I go to still has the infrastructure for bulk items and salad bars but I'm afraid both of those things are covid casualties.

They will put your groceries back in the cart and you can take the cart outside and bag your own groceries in your own bags. but they don't want their checkers or baggers touching stuff that comes from outside.
Thats understandable, but not the use of plastic tubs in place of plastic bags! Unless maybe they feel the inside of the bag that would touch the dispenser chute could be compromised- while the tub wouldn't touch it at all? Just thought of that. They haven't said anything to me at checkout about using the produce bags. I just got some organic oatmeal on sale there, don't go there very often though

I would buy these plastic cylinders (think take out soup), at the dollar store. Two for a dollar. Around 20 ounces. take them to the grocery store and put my bulk food items inside them and reuse them. Made labels for the lids. Even though they weighed just 1.1 ounces the checkers would subtract the weight of the container from the total. I was very proud of my little system. which is now obsolete. :(

I have found new uses for the containers. things that I buy in huge quantities, I can store the big bag someplace hard to get to and just keep a little in these containers some place handy. Flour, rice, oatmeal.

when I make soup in the instant pot they get filled up stacked in the freezer. Once they are frozen they take up even less space if you lay them on their sides. Oh sure I could use rectangular Tupperware. but I still have a dozen of these cylindrical ones. :)

For some reason the pre-packaged organic oatmeal here always contains some rodent poo. Small amounts but still questionable.
Hasn't been listed in the ingredients tho. :joy:

Last edited by a moderator: