The Everything Oatmeal thread

I was inspired by @Lou ’s 52 recipes so I made overnight oats. I’ve done it before and was unimpressed. But I wanted to try it again. My problem is the calorie thing. I can’t afford to add too much fun stuff other than some fruit. So I’m going with banana and cinnamon. I might throw in a few sliced almonds. I also added flax meal to the oats for extra goodness. I will report back with my review lol.

I do have to vehemently disagree with the whole “1 cup of oatmeal will get you through to lunch time” claim. It does not.

Reactions: Lou
I ate it cold. It was really good! I’m going to do it again but without the flax meal. I didn’t like that in there cold. It’s ok when I cook the oats.

Its too cold here for me to enjoy cold cereal in the morning. I have been adding 3 tbsp of milk and reheating the whole thing in the microwave. I've added chia seeds to the OO and its been fine. I've been doing a lot of the recipes that use yogurt. but I'm now out of yogurt and going to try something different.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
Not sure the best place for this, but since flax is so common in oats.....

:argh:I was having really bad stomach/digestion problems. Not on weekends, not till after my first break. I was afraid I was having some kind of subliminal anxiety problems at work! I looked at all the common things that might be causing it, the seitans, the soy, the raw salads...
Then one day I accidently added way too much ground flax, and I was sooooo torn up. The next day I skipped it....and I felt fine
I don't blame all flax. I was getting golden flaxseeds from Aldi for as long as I'd used them. About a month ago they only had the dark brown. They certainly have a harder shell and take more to grind, but I didn't think anything of them. They were my problem!!!:sigh:

I forgot to soak my oats!!! 😩☹️😁

I don’t seem to have an issue with the flax digestively speaking. It’s the mouth thing lol. I don’t want to feel bits of it in my creamy oatmeal. I don’t mean to sound totally anti texture. I like chewy fruit bits or crunchy nuts. It’s the small things that you can’t chew like hulls from grains (specifically brown rice haha), ground flax (which is fine when cooked), or crushed red pepper flakes in my Chinese food (they never soften). 🤢

• Agree
Reactions: Emma JC
I forgot to soak my oats!!! 😩☹️😁

I don’t seem to have an issue with the flax digestively speaking. It’s the mouth thing lol. I don’t want to feel bits of it in my creamy oatmeal. I don’t mean to sound totally anti texture. I like chewy fruit bits or crunchy nuts. It’s the small things that you can’t chew like hulls from grains (specifically brown rice haha), ground flax (which is fine when cooked), or crushed red pepper flakes in my Chinese food (they never soften). 🤢
Have you had golden flax? I was buying the whole golden seeds from Aldi for years, and grinding myself, they ground into powder-butter if you did it too long. Then they switched to brown, and those I had to grind longer, and still could feel the shell bits
I never had any issue with the golden, but it sure seems like the brown cause me issues!
I hate soaked oats though, and cold oats

@silva @Lou I’ve never tried golden flax! I’ll check them out. Do they stll them already ground? I don’t really want to grind myself. If I still had my little coffee grinder I would but I gave it away. I don’t want to be dealing with grinding in my nutribullet or food processor.

I bought hemp hearts once a few years ago. I think I liked them but I must not have been crazy about them because I never used them up. Do they get soft like oats do? I don’t remember.

I forgot to soak again! Lol. So I had hot oatmeal this morning and prepared a jar of oats to soak. They will be 24 hour oats instead of overnight. I did that the other day and they were good.

I've only bought golden flax seed ....unground. I kept my little coffee grinder. it takes up little space. Although I only use it nowadays for flax seed.
I make 2 - 4 Over night oats at once. so I have overnight oats, 32 hours oats and 50 hour oats. They all seem to taste/work the same.
For variety try putting everything but the oats in the blender and then adding it to the oats. I'm doing a blueberry banana thing this week.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I make 2 - 4 Over night oats at once. so I have overnight oats, 32 hours oats and 50 hour oats. They all seem to taste/work the same.
That’s what I was thinking/hoping. Maybe I’ll make up two more jars!

• Friendly
This popped up in my newsfeed this AM. Not a major coincidence cause the newsfeed learns my preferences. but this is a brand new article.
The headline is click bait. or at least misleading.

Spoiler: the side effect is ..... it fills you up.
oh, I guess side effect doesn't Have to mean bad.

Nothing new in it but since this is The Everything Oatmeal thread I though I should put it in here.
It also has links to a number of other articles about oatmeal

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Amazon has ground golden flax meal. 😊

@silva @Lou I’ve never tried golden flax! I’ll check them out. Do they stll them already ground? I don’t really want to grind myself. If I still had my little coffee grinder I would but I gave it away. I don’t want to be dealing with grinding in my nutribullet or food processor.

I bought hemp hearts once a few years ago. I think I liked them but I must not have been crazy about them because I never used them up. Do they get soft like oats do? I don’t remember.

I forgot to soak again! Lol. So I had hot oatmeal this morning and prepared a jar of oats to soak. They will be 24 hour oats instead of overnight. I did that the other day and they were good.
I'd say hemp seeds are the texture of minced sunflower seeds. They do keep their texture.
Aren't overnight oats all pasty? Gluey?

I'd say hemp seeds are the texture of minced sunflower seeds. They do keep their texture.
Aren't overnight oats all pasty? Gluey?
Not too bad. Oddly enough when I eat them cooked I like them thick, not runny. But for overnight I like more liquid so they aren’t pasty. Plus I find that the store brand is better than Quaker. Less starchy.

Let's review and you guys correct me if I'm doing something wrong.
I don't keep my flax seed in the frig. I grind just small quantities and then keep the ground flax see in the frig.
I probably don't need to but I keep chia seeds in the frig. I don't grind them.
And I keep my hemp hearts in the frig.