The Everything Oatmeal thread

I love oatmeal and have it quite thick, half water half soya milk, cinnamon, freshly ground flaxseed, frozen blueberries and a chopped banana. In summer I have oats uncooked with seeds nuts and dried fruit and banana , love oatmeal excited to try other ideas

I love the oatmeal I've been making lately, almost like an orange cheesecake flavor. For a sweetener I add about 1 TBL of orange marmalade, a TBL of vegan cream cheese to add that cheesecake flavor, and I always add raisins, and when I have them (like right now), I also add dried cranberries, and last but not least, a sprinkle of cinnamon. I use water, no milk when I make it, and cook it until it's super creamy.

I'm enjoying seeing how everyone makes theirs, no two seem to be alike. :lick:
I really have to try this sounds amazing, you have inspired me to get out of my oatmeal rut!!!

Reactions: Emma JC
OMG...you had me at cheesecake. This is very very baaaaaad.
OMG...you had me at cheesecake. This is very very baaaaaad.
😮😳😍
Just made this although I put raisins in it and had it with chopped banan, very nice creamy and subtly orangey, would have it again. Thanks again for the idea Calliegirl

Oatmeal is one of my favourite vegan breakfast. I make it pretty simple and delicious. Oats have 2 types of fiber which promotes weighloss and by filling the stomach for longer and cleanses the digestive tract for clearer passage.
Here's one of my recipes if you'd like to try:

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Horrid gooey sludge! Great in biscuits, chocolate balls and crunchy muesli but otherwise, keep it away from me!

Horrid gooey sludge! Great in biscuits, chocolate balls and crunchy muesli but otherwise, keep it away from me!
"I’ll give you a rundown of each. The oatmeal cooking technique, which I discovered in Megan Gordan’s Whole-Grain Mornings cookbook, yields nutty and fluffy (not at all mushy) oatmeal."

• Wow
Reactions: KLS52
yeah Rose on Cheap Lazy Vegan made some savoury oatmeal the other day and she toasted the oatmeal before using.... not my thing, just happy to eat it, mushy or not...

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Ohhh, I think that toasting it beforehand just might make it edible for me! Just like I always toast my brown rice...

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Found a better way to have my oatmeal at work. I mixed the rolled oats with ground flax, spices and raisins in the bowl and added hot water to it at break time. Kept stirring till it was eating temp and absorbed,
I used to add the water in the morning but I broke my bowl that sealed. I broke my larger bowl too :sob:

okay, so I caved and tried it..... I was wrong, you all are right - it smelled really good while toasting, so that was a bonus - and the big difference, for me, was that because the oatmeal was no longer mushy it took me longer to eat my melange and I chewed individual oats and enjoyed them and all the different tastes (which btw is a total of 17 ingredients, not counting water)

so thank you! not happy about having another pan to wash and yet it is definitely worth it

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: KLS52, 1956 and Lou
I'm going to try it as soon as I finish the Overnight Oats I already have in the frig.

I still can't get my microwaved oatmeal to come out right consistently.

I'm also tempted to try making a bigger batch of stove top (or instant pot) oatmeal. I've clipped a few recipes.

I'm going to post the instant pot recipe in the external links ... in a minute.

• Friendly
I'm making Instant pot oat groats for the next couple days. I'll add some chopped apple and dates when its done

Doing the adding hot water at serving is probably my favorite way for reg rolled oats, but I like groats.
Fresh Thyme has bulk organics on sale this week so I'll stock up on rolled. I hope they still carry the thick oats!

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I’ve never had groats. They kind of scare me. I just searched groats vs oats and the fact that groats “are a whole grain that retains the endosperm, the germ, and the bran, thus preserving all of the nutrition” makes me think of brown rice and how I hate it because I always end up with the hull in there and it makes me gag. ☹️

• Friendly
I'm making Instant pot oat groats for the next couple days. I'll add some chopped apple and dates when its done

Doing the adding hot water at serving is probably my favorite way for reg rolled oats, but I like groats.
Fresh Thyme has bulk organics on sale this week so I'll stock up on rolled. I hope they still carry the thick oats!
I wasn't exactly sure what groats was. Maybe some subspecies of goat?

anyway I looked it out and found this great guide to Everything Oatmeal.
Which definitely belongs in this thread.

Groats sound good. I should try them. I don't think I have ever had them.
I have a good recipe for steel cut oats in an instant pot. I've only had it once. I should try it again.

I'll post some recipes in the recipe section.