The Companion Animal Gripe/Annoying Things Thread

I know I've mentioned this before, but.... it's the way my animal companions put up a fight when I have to give them medicine, trim their nails, whatever. They don't do me any harm with their teeth or nails, but I just feel so bloody incompetent and ineffectual as their caretaker.

And I wonder what they think and how they feel when I take them to a veterinarian, as of course I must every now and then. They hate it, I know... and yet they don't seem to hold grudges against me.

This, and the fact that I still hurt sometimes over the animal companions I've had in the past, is the reason I still haven't adopted anybody since Crystal passed away in late November of 2011. It feels somewhat empty not having any cats, hamsters, rabbits, or gerbils in the house, but it's not as if any of them would be replaced by another adoptee. I think fostering, or volunteering at a shelter, would work for me. (I suppose this post might belong in the Memorial Thread but I haven't had any recent losses and didn't want to give you all the idea that I had bad news, which is what new posts in that thread usually mean...)

How is it possible to love four critters so much yet be so bothered by them at the same time...

I am convinced that I get nothing done because of them. For example, I'm lying in bed, awake. I could get up and make myself some tea and use the bathroom, but if I move a muscle they will be all over me, inflicting their torturous behavior on me. So I have to lie here, uncomfortable, and try to not move so they don't think it's time to play and eat.

I swear they would eat all day if I let them. I mean, I love food...not many people love food more than me...but even I have a limit. They, on the other hand, are bottomless pits.

How is it possible to love four critters so much yet be so bothered by them at the same time...

I am convinced that I get nothing done because of them. For example, I'm lying in bed, awake. I could get up and make myself some tea and use the bathroom, but if I move a muscle they will be all over me, inflicting their torturous behavior on me. So I have to lie here, uncomfortable, and try to not move so they don't think it's time to play and eat.

I swear they would eat all day if I let them. I mean, I love food...not many people love food more than me...but even I have a limit. They, on the other hand, are bottomless pits.

Prisoner in your own bed ? When I wake up in the early hours (this morning it was 4 .30) Shyvs will follow me into the sitting room and go back to sleep on the settee.

I know I have slept in strange positions not to disturb the cat. Who sleeps all day while I'm at work.

When I adopted my two kittens, now almost 5, I started them on a can treat a day. I had to switch it to late in the day when I got home from work instead of the morning because they were meowing and running around for that can treat 3 hours before I got up. The time change worked.

Unfortunately one of them has a fish allergy so I'm buying an expensive fish free can now. I hate to take it away from them though.

Reactions: KLS52
Kobe, my roommate's dog, has a habit of eating the landscaping bark. He'll bring a big piece inside and chew it into small pieces I get to clean up. He was acting oddly around a piece he had dropped on the floor, growling at the other dog when she tried to get near it. He's never protected pieces of bark before, so I went to pick it up and toss it outside, when instead of a hard piece of bark, I felt something soft and squishy that was moving. It was a huge grub! :eek: That was unexpected and I yelled and dropped it. I ran to get a napkin to pick it up with and put it outside, which was silly since I had already picked it up and could have put it out then if I hadn't freaked out.
Anyway....ewwwww. Thanks Kobe. :p

:fp: <--- Me after the cat walks across the keyboard and random programs start opening and closing.
:argh:<--- Me trying to figure out how to get the screen right side up again.

Because breaking his leg, having two surgeries and costing me a small fortune isn't enough for his short 2 1/2 years.

d390b0eef32a58ea88d08dc4b8c07bd3.jpg

ab6d4b4a55dee5c9b2b0dcc93d42d378.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This morning I woke up with the bedding completely over my head. So what did Sabrina do? She climbed onto my head and screamed DIRECTLY into my ear for several minutes, through the bedding. Even though she couldn't see it, she knew exactly where my ear was for maximum annoyance. Needless to say, I didn't get any more sleep this morning.

Karen, I think Bratt (and maybe Joon, to a much lesser degree) owe you. BIG TIME. But you probably managed to get the plant back in a different container.

Amy, how about waiting until Sabrina is asleep and yelling in HER ear? Muahahaaaa....

Karen, I think Bratt (and maybe Joon, to a much lesser degree) owe you. BIG TIME. But you probably managed to get the plant back in a different container.

Amy, how about waiting until Sabrina is asleep and yelling in HER ear? Muahahaaaa....

I've actually done that to her when she was younger, but she's 18 years old now (a really old lady in human years) and doing that might give her a heart attack. :cat:

One or more of the cats in the house is peeing on my office love seat. It is my study spot. It is nasty. I sprayed fabric refresher and urine be gone, but it still stinks. Errr.

Queenie, the roomies cat, keeps dropping her toys in the toilet. Earlier I gave her another one of my kitties toys to play with in the living room and I already found it in the toilet. :hmm:

eta: I forgot, it isn't just toys that end up in the toilet. I've also found hair bands and a washcloth...twice.

Last edited:
Animal/ partner gripe.
My partner keeps one of his drawers open a lot, so Selina climbs to the top of his dresser. She tries to jump into his closet, but most of the time misses. This is the aftermath today.

Attachments

• FB_20160505_10_52_12_Saved_Picture.jpg
    FB_20160505_10_52_12_Saved_Picture.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 137
I have to lol because misery loves company! I keep calling my four "little b@st@rds"!

Sometime during the night, after I kicked them out of the bedroom because they wouldn't let me sleep, I heard a noise that sounded like some kind of rattling. I remembered I left my keys on the counter so I assumed they were batting them around the floor. I figured worse case scenario, I would have to go searching for them under furniture in the morning, haha.

Well, I wasn't so lucky. Turns out they knocked a glass of water onto the floor, shattering it to pieces. How they didn't cut themselves is a miracle. There was glass and water all over the floor. And they knocked down Joon's meds too but they didn't spill out of the bottle, thankfully.

They are such bad kitties! I threatened to buy three more cages and lock them all up at night with Bratt, lol. At least he was off the hook. I tried several times to wean him off the cage at night but he won't have it. Smart cat. At least he gets 8 hours of undisturbed sleep and stays out of trouble!

Gripe...when I get up to go to the bathroom and one or more of the cats beat me to it and jump on the toilet seat before I have a chance to sit down. Every. Single. Time. Lol [emoji76]

My roommate got an automatic waterer for the dogs, one of those things that has the container of water on top. Queenie, the cat, discovered that you can reach in and push the little lever that adds more water, and has been doing it ever since. I've been mopping up huge puddles (more like small lakes) of water all day. :hmm:

eta: Went to lock up and it looked like a pipe burst in there. She emptied out the entire 2 1/2 gallon container. :fp:

Last edited: