The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@KLS52 , i hope you're not mad at me... Are you? (Pls, don't take my words personally). :flower:
Do you mean about the quarantine? Nope. No offense taken whatsoever. I would have to agree with you there. It’s the main reason my daughter, who was going to Costa Rica cancelled, because she has two young children and doesn’t want to risk it with them. My older single daughter said she wouldn’t care if she got stuck in Iceland because she would have a better chance of seeing the Northern lights. 😁🤦‍♀️

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Are your libraries open on a Sunday ? All of our libraries as well as shops are closed. In my neighbourhood, everything is closed and it's quite
dreary.

There are quite a few food stores that do open on Sunday mornings, which is very convenient.
Almost everything is open on Sundays around here, just shorter hours. I walked around the Indie Market that was downtown before I went to the library. It has become a cloudy day with a cool breeze so not as nice as I had hoped.

• Informative
Reactions: Val and shyvas
We have things open on Sunday these days but it used to be that it was closed, perhaps before the 90s..

Here with this quarantine stuff, people seem largely oblivious to it. Where I live is quite congested and often there are crowds gathered in certain places, including the mall, and people are just behaving as usual, the only change is the weird over buying of toilet paper here which has left some shelves empty, and there is someone selling a small bottle of hand sanitiser online for $70 (and it has some interest)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Homemade hand sanitizer sounds like a profitable etsy type business! Now I'm reminded that I wanted to buy tea tree oil- I was just out too and thought about that store but couldn't remember why. If I'd have looked on my phone 'notes' I would have 🙄.

I'd so love to go to Iceland--any of the Scandinavian countries!
I always felt cruises were a horrid idea, but I would still fly I think. I bet there would be so many cancellations! If you were a mask, and are as careful as you'd be anywhere else.....? I have to say traveling alone with these added risks doesn't sound like a good idea. But then again it is Iceland. None of those countries have had anything yet, right?

Reactions: Freesia
We have things open on Sunday these days but it used to be that it was closed, perhaps before the 90s..

Here with this quarantine stuff, people seem largely oblivious to it. Where I live is quite congested and often there are crowds gathered in certain places, including the mall, and people are just behaving as usual, the only change is the weird over buying of toilet paper here which has left some shelves empty, and there is someone selling a small bottle of hand sanitiser online for $70 (and it has some interest)...
I was surprised at the whole toilet paper interest. It had never occurred to me to stock up on that as part of an emergency plan. I guess it’s a smart idea!

Reactions: Freesia
Homemade hand sanitizer sounds like a profitable etsy type business! Now I'm reminded that I wanted to buy tea tree oil- I was just out too and thought about that store but couldn't remember why. If I'd have looked on my phone 'notes' I would have 🙄.

I'd so love to go to Iceland--any of the Scandinavian countries!
I always felt cruises were a horrid idea, but I would still fly I think. I bet there would be so many cancellations! If you were a mask, and are as careful as you'd be anywhere else.....? I have to say traveling alone with these added risks doesn't sound like a good idea. But then again it is Iceland. None of those countries have had anything yet, right?
I’m kind of glad she’s not going to be honest. I’m really not concerned about her catching anything but I’d be nervous if she were stuck there. Iceland has one confirmed case of a man who had visited Italy. He’s not seriously ill and is in isolation.

• Friendly
People seem to be stocking up on toilet paper here too, plus canned goods & dried pasta....as I have noticed when trying to order some on my online shop (just the normal amount.) Sigh! Most things are out of stock!

Happy International women's day, everyone!:wave::hugs:
Unghshu is having a walk, while mom, Gala, Liza, Elijah and David are having dinner at our place. Liza and David spent two nights at our place, therefore i had troubles with sleeping. I needed it (sleep) so desperately (because i had fever and exacerbation of my chronic tonsillitis), and i was really irritated that i was kinda deprived of sleep. Yesterday, my entire neck hurt badly, and i devoured 1/2 pack of anesthetic pills. They helped a little, but, of course, they couldn't take away the inflammation. (Nevertheless, i bought one more pack today, and continued devouring them:pout:). What did help me,- is what Sumerian gods had done to me. I was sweaty like a tzutzik after what they had done this night, but i woke up without the pain. Now my throat and tonsils are a little swollen (because it's late), but no real pain so far, no otitis (that i'd been so afraid of), almost no "clicking" sounds in my inner ear(s), and no pain in both ears (there was slight pain yesterday!😱). I was freaked out yesterday, but today i feel more confident, because i feel that Sumerian gods stand up for me.
Also, this night (closer to the morning) i had a weird dream: that i talked to our composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky on a videophone and he was thanking me for something! I recognized his voice at once: i'd heard it on the record made on the Edison's phonograph (one of its first versions) in early 1890s!!! What can i say,- Tchaikovsky's voice is really unpleasant, lol.😁
I decided not to go for long hikes until i recover, but i had a brief walk in Cucumber district. The air was transparent and fresh,- i liked it, because it feels like spring (i mean, sunset colors have changed).
Posting my photos of Monday's hike to Telmann's district (outside the town). It was long!... yet romantic (it was warm, humid, quiet and mysterious outside).
View attachment 20013

View attachment 20014

View attachment 20015

View attachment 20016

View attachment 20017

View attachment 20018

View attachment 20019

View attachment 20020

View attachment 20021

View attachment 20022
Happy International Women's Day to you also, Val, and to all the female members of VF!

Hi everyone I’m feeling much better. I’m still getting over it, I still have a cough, and I’m very tired, but I haven’t taken any cold meds for it today. 😮

I had the veggieburger that was on the lunch menu yesterday, but unfortunately I couldn’t really enjoy it because nothing tastes good when I’m sick. I asked if the veggieburger could be on the regular everyday menu, and was told that it will likely happen. So that’s good news. One more option for me. Vegetable pizza is on the lunch menu for next Saturday. 👍

Hi everyone I’m feeling much better. I’m still getting over it, I still have a cough, and I’m very tired, but I haven’t taken any cold meds for it today. 😮

I had the veggieburger that was on the lunch menu yesterday, but unfortunately I couldn’t really enjoy it because nothing tastes good when I’m sick. I asked if the veggieburger could be on the regular everyday menu, and was told that it will likely happen. So that’s good news. One more option for me. Vegetable pizza is on the lunch menu for next Saturday. 👍
So glad you're feeling better!
My asthma is very well controlled, but the other day I went by a produce aisle and had the most abrupt flare up! Immediately my airways just welled up and shut, mucus filling everything, eyes watering, gasping for air and to expel air, choke coughing, gasping......😨:cold_sweat:. Luckily no one was around, and after a minute, and I found my tissues and was able to move on, I was just fine. This isn't the first time a produce aisle got to me....I want to know why! No smell of any kind....

How are the others there?

People seem to be stocking up on toilet paper here too, plus canned goods & dried pasta....as I have noticed when trying to order some on my online shop (just the normal amount.) Sigh! Most things are out of stock!

I thought that people had stocked up during Brexit. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Do you mean about the quarantine? Nope. No offense taken whatsoever. I would have to agree with you there. It’s the main reason my daughter, who was going to Costa Rica cancelled, because she has two young children and doesn’t want to risk it with them. My older single daughter said she wouldn’t care if she got stuck in Iceland because she would have a better chance of seeing the Northern lights. 😁🤦‍♀️
Yeah, that's what i meant: even if a person is not afraid of the virus itself,- he has to be careful in his choice regarding a trip, in order not to get stuck in a quarantine (getting stuck somewhere is already an atribute of a ruined trip).:hmm:

Reactions: KLS52
Yay! Unghshu has got home. I'm even hungry (which rarely occurs). Gala was speaking to me this afternoon. She said she wanted to establish an obelisque on grandpa's grave (not a stupid tombstone with an engraved picture, that everyone has). Obelisque is a great thing: it's a very ancient symbol and has its roots in times of paleocontacts and even now it partly represents "cargo cult" in its initial meaning. Mom was against it previously, so Gala asked me to persuade mom to do it. I explained everything to mom, having showed her examples and telling her stories of my own experience (i have a few,- e.g. what we saw in the mountains), and mom agreed and gave her permission. OTOH, she's not a stable person and can change her mind at any minute, but, at least for now, Gala will feel a little better (she's still having hardships, because her old mother is in hospital now, and she probably will die soon,- i've no idea how Gala holds on).
Here is the idea of what we want to put on grandpa's grave (it's also the form of obelisques of "war glory", so it'll do for a person, who was a veteran and a police colonel, like my grandpa):
IMG_20200309_002214.jpg

IMG_20200309_002258.jpg

IMG_20200309_002359.jpg

Here's what Elijah brought for me and mom for the International women's day:
IMG_20200308_230930_311.jpg

Re toilet paper, i went to the supermarket today and not much toilet paper! Very frustrating, heaps of empty shelf, and only the brands which i would not buy.... probably 2 thirds of the toilet paper had been cleared out...

So I had to go to a seperate supermarket just to get toilet paper, and the opposite situation there, almost as soon as I was in the door there were men with big pallets of toilet paper unloading them in large amounts.. this place i guess had ordered extra... so at least i got some... but some weird shortages, also in small tissue boxes, can only get big boxes...

Not sure why this is happening as i would have thought food and water is more important, but seems to be a thing..

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Re toilet paper, i went to the supermarket today and not much toilet paper! Very frustrating, heaps of empty shelf, and only the brands which i would not buy.... probably 2 thirds of the toilet paper had been cleared out...

So I had to go to a seperate supermarket just to get toilet paper, and the opposite situation there, almost as soon as I was in the door there were men with big pallets of toilet paper unloading them in large amounts.. this place i guess had ordered extra... so at least i got some... but some weird shortages, also in small tissue boxes, can only get big boxes...

Not sure why this is happening as i would have thought food and water is more important, but seems to be a thing..

Toilet paper is as essential as food for the people who depend on it. I personally think (edit: half) the world is crazy for cutting down trees in order to clean their behind. :laughing:

Toilet paper is as essential as food for the people who depend on it. I personally think (edit: half) the world is crazy for cutting down trees in order to clean their behind. :laughing:

Yes you are right.. i guess it is not what i would have thought would be bought so much of..

I have seen other unusual things bought. Today I saw a woman with a shopping trolley (cart) full of only kitchen paper towel rolls...

My father last week saw a number of people at his local supermarket, they had filled their cart/trolleys with bananas, I am scratching my head about that one. .... not sure why the reason. :iiam:

• Haha
Reactions: Nekodaiden
I thought that people had stocked up during Brexit. :rolleyes:
Probably, but it wasn't noticeable (to me) then. It's really annoying not being able to get your normal weekly items!

Apparently there is no stock of calpol or other babies medication due to people panic buying which is really sad for the people's who's babies are unwell now & can't get hold of it.

We're going to New Orleans in April for my goddaughter's wedding. I can't imagine the flight would be cancelled, but if it is, I think we'd drive. Fortunately, we don't have any major, overseas trips planned because of the dogs. All three are old, two deaf and one nearly blind, and I have no idea what I would do with them if I had to be gone more than just a few days.

Whoa. This time change has knocked me for a loop! I think it's getting worse the older I get, but it's nearly 6pm and I feel like I need to go to bed RIGHT NOW.

Hey everyone! It was very busy at work as usual. The weather would be almost perfect except for the darn wind and with the pollen count high that makes me sneeze! I am glad I am not a world traveler or one who goes on cruises because travel plans are being disrupted. My within the state trip in late April should not be affected. And I think staying at an Airbnb is preferable to a huge hotel. Some friends of mine have a trip to Italy planned for May and who knows if they will get to go.

I've been hearing a lot of TP shortages too! I remember a tv show about cheapskates that have people cutting up old tee shirts and flannels to use instead. Truly why not? With a cheap bidet (mine was $25 and just installed under the seat) and a different color for everyone, and a diaper pail kinda thing. It truly is a stupid waste of trees whether directly or reclaimed. Same with paper towels, though my younger son is crazy about using them for his hands. I use them to clean the floor messes after him

Now there are three covid cases in my county, first ones known in Ohio. Sigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.