The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t have a fever, I had my temperature checked. So that’s good. But my sinuses are completely engorged and dripping and I have a headache. I’ve been in my room all day feeling miserable. I’ve missed all the activities I like to do on Fridays. I’ve been entertaining myself watching YouTube videos. I don’t think I’m going to get much sleep tonight.

Oh no. I hope you feel better soon.

• Friendly
Reactions: Amy SF
Feel better Amy! Get lots of rest! I have today off and it is a beautiful, though chilly, morning! Today is the DeLand Bike Rally downtown, so I will go check out all the cool motorcycles and probably stop in at the Abbey since I haven't been there in a while. I have one more DVD to watch before returning them to the library. One of them was scratched and wouldn't play, so they will have to fix it and I will get it again. It was one I was very interested in watching called Bobby about Bobby Kennedy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
....Barely i told her about my swollen tonsils,- she made square eyes and started literally yelling. I'm not sure how this kind of behaviour is called in English, but we call it "Nakhrapom" (impudently and pushy at the same time)...
Maybe we English speakers should adopt that word. I've been in quite a few situations where it would apply. I could say, "You're really acting, like, totally nakhrapom!!" (a creative combination of standard English, Russian, and Valley Girl) They wouldn't know what it means but it would derail their little tantrum for a second or two.

...... Later, when i suddenly received my medical records "on hands", i discovered that that crazy b*tch had written the following about me: "Acting unstable, histerical, demands to prescript her antibiotics, having a belief that only antibiotics help, NEEDS A PSYCHIATRIST". ...
(I didn't quote your full post here- I thought the whole post is valid, but I wasn't responding to the part I left out) Well... actually, she might have had a point. I'm sure you've heard about the problem of antibiotic resistance. Bacteria evolve a LOT faster than we humans do- and germs been learning how to survive antibiotics. (A good example is someone who has a virus infection who asks for antibiotics: antibiotics generally work on bacteria, but viruses are a VERY different organism.) We don't want to lose antibiotics in our war against disease, but we have to use them if a person really needs them.

Then again, maybe she wasn't thinking about antibiotic resistance and just thought your tonsils should come out. Either way, I think she should have respected you concerns; you're taking an interest in your treatment, and nobody should call that hysterical or crazy.

Good morning! Thanks to global warming we're already heavy into tree pollen here. Pollen makes my eyes itch, my nose run and gives me a dry cough. Just what we need - symptoms of upper respiratory infections when it's just trees. :fp:

Hi everyone I’m still sick. *coffcoff* I noticed they have a veggieburger on the lunch menu today, and it’s best that I continue to stay in my room right now, so I ordered the veggieburger to be brought on a tray for lunch. I hope it’s good. If they forget ketchup, I have some in my fridge.

By the way, for those of you who only just met me after the message boards merger, you probably don’t know that I live in an assisted living facility in Agoura Hills, California. Much of my postings have to do with my life here. Unfortunately the kitchen isn’t very vegetarian friendly (and forget about being vegan friendly; they seem to equate “plant-based diet” with “lots of egg and cheese”), a problem I’ve been dealing with since I moved here in July of 2017. We’ve had a succession of culinary directors, and I have to talk to every single one about my diet. And then they leave, and I have to start the whole process over again with the new one. It’s exhausting.

Maybe we English speakers should adopt that word. I've been in quite a few situations where it would apply. I could say, "You're really acting, like, totally nakhrapom!!" (a creative combination of standard English, Russian, and Valley Girl) They wouldn't know what it means but it would derail their little tantrum for a second or two.

(I didn't quote your full post here- I thought the whole post is valid, but I wasn't responding to the part I left out) Well... actually, she might have had a point. I'm sure you've heard about the problem of antibiotic resistance. Bacteria evolve a LOT faster than we humans do- and germs been learning how to survive antibiotics. (A good example is someone who has a virus infection who asks for antibiotics: antibiotics generally work on bacteria, but viruses are a VERY different organism.) We don't want to lose antibiotics in our war against disease, but we have to use them if a person really needs them.

Then again, maybe she wasn't thinking about antibiotic resistance and just thought your tonsils should come out. Either way, I think she should have respected you concerns; you're taking an interest in your treatment, and nobody should call that hysterical or crazy.
I'm aware of antibiotic resistance and "super-bacteria", but in that case (after i got contaminated in February of 2019), i was feeling really pathetic, and, having considered all risks and possible consequences, i decided to take Ciprofloxacine, because my ears were aching badly (they merely didn't work), and i was afraid to lose my hearing. :tinfoilhat: :pout:

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Chryssie
This is very sweet of them...💖 I was given this bouquet of 9 tulips by our students as a gift (tomorrow is the "International women's day", that is widely celebrated over here).💐 I'm giving these flowers to all our female VVers. Thank you all for being around!:smitten: Happy holiday, everyone!:hugs:
IMG_20200307_171833.jpg

I had a good time downtown looking at all the motorcycles! The crowd was huge as always! It was a really nice day for it even if there was a chilly breeze. I stopped in at the Abbey for a treat. There was a couple of guys playing music too so that was nice.
I am excited to report that my sister (Lynda) and I have tickets and an Airbnb to visit Big Cat Rescue in Tampa on April 25th! I hope to do a little sightseeing too and maybe visit one of the many breweries over there.
The flowers are beautiful Val! Thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas and Val
I'm off to the book sale at the local English library. I'll pop into the hypermarket on the way back as I need a
few bits and pieces, including coffee.
I may go for a walk this afternoon and leave some scraps for the wild life.

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is going to be a beautiful day today! I have to get to Publix this morning for a few things and then go to the library this afternoon after they open. I may take a walk in a park as well; I just wish the pollen count wasn't so high.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L. and Val
Morning/afternoon y'all! It is going to be a beautiful day today! I have to get to Publix this morning for a few things and then go to the library this afternoon after they open. I may take a walk in a park as well; I just wish the pollen count wasn't so high.

Are your libraries open on a Sunday ? All of our libraries as well as shops are closed. In my neighbourhood, everything is closed and it's quite
dreary.

There are quite a few food stores that do open on Sunday mornings, which is very convenient.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Are your libraries open on a Sunday ? All of our libraries as well as shops are closed. In my neighbourhood, everything is closed and it's quite
dreary.

There are quite a few food stores that do open on Sunday mornings, which is very convenient.
That's nice - it means that all the people who work there are able to have a day off to spend with their families.

Both my daughters have trips planned for March and April. The April trip has been cancelled. Daughter doesn’t want to be in an airport with the current coronavirus situation. It was a nice trip to Costa Rica. But they got a voucher to reschedule but lost the deposit.

The other daughter is going to Iceland in two weeks but her travel companion no longer wants to go. My daughter is not worried about the virus at all. But looks like it’s leaning toward them not going. So far no luck with getting reimbursed or rescheduling for her though. That’s a good chunk of money down the drain. 🤦‍♀️ She’s pretty annoyed.

Both my daughters have trips planned for March and April. The April trip has been cancelled. Daughter doesn’t want to be in an airport with the current coronavirus situation. It was a nice trip to Costa Rica. But they got a voucher to reschedule but lost the deposit.

The other daughter is going to Iceland in two weeks but her travel companion no longer wants to go. My daughter is not worried about the virus at all. But looks like it’s leaning toward them not going. So far no luck with getting reimbursed or rescheduling for her though. That’s a good chunk of money down the drain. 🤦‍♀️ She’s pretty annoyed.

Can't she go alone ? I would be gutted to have to cancel such a faraway trip.:unamused:

I'm still going ahead with my bookings and am not worried about the virus. I fear my having to travel to the airport by car far more.

I wouldn't like to upset you even more, but look at this side of the matter: it looks like very soon, every cruise ship or an airplane will have a contaminated person onboard. And what do they do with such ships? Right,- they place them under quarantine without letting them go into any harbours. This perspective is quite frustrating for a vacationer. When placed under quarantine, these ships become walking Petri dishes, and there is almost no chance to avoid contamination for those who are still healthy. Those who were on the plane are being isolated too... We have a saying: "Everything that is being done - is being done for good". Plus, "Better safe than sorry".
Anyway, i realize how frustrated you are.:hug: We all just need to be endurant. (Honestly, i've no idea how to do it).:shrug:
P.S. I had to cancel my summer trip to Armenia, though we were supposed to go there by plane, not ship. But then we were supposed to travel across the country by bus, with the same people for 10 days, and it's not the best idea, considering the situation.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Amy SF and Chryssie
Can't she go alone ? I would be gutted to have to cancel such a faraway trip.:unamused:
Yeah, we’re not the kind of people to do something like that alone. As independent as she is with living alone and travelling for her job, going to Iceland alone, or any other vacation spot for that matter, isn’t something she would do.

Happy International women's day, everyone!:wave::hugs:
Unghshu is having a walk, while mom, Gala, Liza, Elijah and David are having dinner at our place. Liza and David spent two nights at our place, therefore i had troubles with sleeping. I needed it (sleep) so desperately (because i had fever and exacerbation of my chronic tonsillitis), and i was really irritated that i was kinda deprived of sleep. Yesterday, my entire neck hurt badly, and i devoured 1/2 pack of anesthetic pills. They helped a little, but, of course, they couldn't take away the inflammation. (Nevertheless, i bought one more pack today, and continued devouring them:pout:). What did help me,- is what Sumerian gods had done to me. I was sweaty like a tzutzik after what they had done this night, but i woke up without the pain. Now my throat and tonsils are a little swollen (because it's late), but no real pain so far, no otitis (that i'd been so afraid of), almost no "clicking" sounds in my inner ear(s), and no pain in both ears (there was slight pain yesterday!😱). I was freaked out yesterday, but today i feel more confident, because i feel that Sumerian gods stand up for me.
Also, this night (closer to the morning) i had a weird dream: that i talked to our composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky on a videophone and he was thanking me for something! I recognized his voice at once: i'd heard it on the record made on the Edison's phonograph (one of its first versions) in early 1890s!!! What can i say,- Tchaikovsky's voice is really unpleasant, lol.😁
I decided not to go for long hikes until i recover, but i had a brief walk in Cucumber district. The air was transparent and fresh,- i liked it, because it feels like spring (i mean, sunset colors have changed).
Posting my photos of Monday's hike to Telmann's district (outside the town). It was long!... yet romantic (it was warm, humid, quiet and mysterious outside).
IMG_20200308_144722_587.jpg

IMG_20200308_144811_485.jpg

IMG_20200308_144841_480.jpg

IMG_20200308_144913_147.jpg

IMG_20200308_145024_065.jpg

IMG_20200308_145106_751.jpg

IMG_20200308_145144_842.jpg

IMG_20200308_145228_479.jpg

IMG_20200308_145307_069.jpg

IMG_20200308_145337_960.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.