The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piers Morgan on GMB (today) called them morons. :confused:
Hello Shyvas

I felt the same way. And then I remembered how people react in different ways to an emergency. It occurred to me that it could be normalcy bias in operation: quote below from Wikipedia

Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a tendency for people to believe that things will function in the future the way they normally have functioned in the past and therefore to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects.

Not saying any of it is right or wrong, but, now we are seeing media messages of why we shouldn't panic buy (it seems to be calming down now with rationing, and different times for key workers/pensioners). And sterner measures to come so people aren't under-reacting and going on holidays/to beaches/parks/caravan sites etc.

Hello Shyvas

I felt the same way. And then I remembered how people react in different ways to an emergency. It occurred to me that it could be normalcy bias in operation: quote below from Wikipedia

Normalcy bias, or normality bias, is a tendency for people to believe that things will function in the future the way they normally have functioned in the past and therefore to underestimate both the likelihood of a disaster and its possible effects.

Not saying any of it is right or wrong, but, now we are seeing media messages of why we shouldn't panic buy (it seems to be calming down now with rationing, and different times for key workers/pensioners). And sterner measures to come so people aren't under-reacting and going on holidays/to beaches/parks/caravan sites etc.
Yes - I have seen that as well. I've seen people completely freaking out about every neighbor that has a visitor, saying we need martial law - like even online I can feel their anxiety; and I just checked in with a friend via text yesterday... I asked her how she was doing and she said "Good babes!" ... we went back and forth and she just kept saying "go play some music!" 'go make some art!" "I'm meditating and doing yoga!" "my son's dad lost his job but that's OK he'll find another one!" "la la la la la!" ... LOL. I mean, there's a middle ground here, right? Between sticking one's head in the sand and completely losing the plot?

Val : yes we go into lockdown Thrusday morning. Tomorrow is the last day of level 3. I went out today and people were in weird queues, like in war time. All calm and polite enough though.. People were talking to each other a lot more than usual but standing 2 metres away...

Val : yes we go into lockdown Thrusday morning. Tomorrow is the last day of level 3. I went out today and people were in weird queues, like in war time. All calm and polite enough though.. People were talking to each other a lot more than usual but standing 2 metres away...
Aha, they said that level 4 will be established on Wednesday, at 11.59 p.m. (a.k.a. almost on Thursday). They also said that older people have to stay at home. And then there follows the phraze (~the following): "Make sure that you have a supply of food and medicines". When are they supposed to stock up on all of these? E.g. some people over here (especially the elderly) never stocked up on anything (they simply can't). Some volunteers will be (already are) working and bringing them food, but it won't solve the problem of feeding lonely old people. Nevertheless, i think that it's a right decision (the lockdown). We are afraid of the mass outbreak (*knocking on wood*), because more than 5000 russians are still stuck abroad, and everything is being done to return them home. The biggest amount of them are stuck in resorts of Egypt, Montenegro, Phillipines, Tenerife and Spain.

Hello all

Well, first apologies, I think I should have posted on the Covid thread about the family and concerns. However, as I posted here, I thought I should update here.

After talking to Dad, he said that Mum called 111 (NHS advice line ) at 3 p.m. on Sunday as she had not got over her virus. She was told that she would get a call back due to the length of time she's had it. At midnight, they got a telephone call that a doctor would attend within 5 hours as she didn't feel well enough to visit her G.P. Mum then spent the night on the settee next to the phone, staying awake until a 5 a.m. visit. A G.P. in full PPE examined her, stated that she had a chest infection and gave her anti-biotics.

He did not state at any time she had Covid-19 and they forgot to ask! However, Mum was adamant she did have temperature and cough and Dad said she didn't. She pointed out that she was sleeping separately on different floor, and, coughing more at night when trying to sleep. Plus Dad is deaf and didn't hear it. So, I am relieved to a point that it may not be serious. G.P. said that he heard 'crackling' in her right lung. My brother has had the same diagnosis, and, as a driver is back at work and taking his a-b's. Other brother telephoned to say he was improving and also on medication.

Both parents had their annual flu jab last autumn. So, to add to the confusion/anxiety it is flu/cold season here. Mum is still self-isolating and the G.P. was pleased to hear it. Interestingly, the GP had a driver who remained outside, I thought that was a good idea in the sense that I can imagine they would be quickly exhausted trying to drive, find patients and then put on PPE and do diagnosis. But also a risk for the driver as well as GP.

Annoyed though, Dad went out to get groceries at designated time slot for pensioners/vulnerable people, in his car. Although I pointed out that I appreciated he valued his independence, he should be self-isolating because of his age, and because Mum has a virus. He said he did the social distancing thing, wore gloves, wiped trolley with anti-bacterial wipes before and after use, so it was ok.....
:worried:

I don't think he gets it, he is putting himself and Mum at risk just being out, or worse, potentially spreading another virus at the time that he is mingling with vulnerable or at risk groups.

Yesterday I went to a local garage shop for one thing, the staff behind the counter wore disposable latex gloves and there was a large sign saying that cash was not being accepted. Everything had to be paid using a card (contactless or with PIN). Luckily, as I bought goods less than £30, I could pay contactless (and I was wearing ordinary gloves). However, the small queue behind me weren't socially distancing as it's a small shop. I am avoiding that shop in future....

Trying not to worry or get anxious about it. And to stay cheerful. I said to parents I can shop whilst he waits in car park (I can walk to supermarket alone), I can take precautions of social distancing and wear gloves, etc. and put groceries in his car boot, and then he can unload and wipe stuff down his end.

Anyway, I have rambled enough, and we are all in lockdown now here as of last night. Take care of yourselves everyone and I hope all our loved ones are safe.
:flower:
This is a bad situation that you've described. :hmm: So how is your mom today? Is it getting any better? (Antibiotics is a mean stuff: last year, my immune system had got somewhat compromised by a new flu strain,- therefore, i was devouring Ciprofloxacine for more than 2.5 months, and couldn't ditch it. And i'm even not 40 yet. If antibiotics weaken the immune system of the elderly,- covid can easily penetrate in the future). One of our epidemiologists said that the concentration of covid matters: to some extent, immune system can fight covid, but getting sneezed at, or exhaled at ...can be enough to be contaminated, because the concentration in one single breath is already ridiculous. I hope she gets better.:hug:

It just occurred to me that lockdowns must be quite terrifying for people who live alone and doesn't have the Internet. Or is that just my Internet addiction talking? And then I thought of @Tom L. who I believe only accesses the Internet from the library.
I agree. Lots of elderly people live alone & don't have the internet.

This is a bad situation that you've described. :hmm: So how is your mom today? Is it getting any better? (Antibiotics is a mean stuff: last year, my immune system had got somewhat compromised by a new flu strain,- therefore, i was devouring Ciprofloxacine for more than 2.5 months, and couldn't ditch it. And i'm even not 40 yet. If antibiotics weaken the immune system of the elderly,- covid can easily penetrate in the future). One of our epidemiologists said that the concentration of covid matters: to some extent, immune system can fight covid, but getting sneezed at, or exhaled at ...can be enough to be contaminated, because the concentration in one single breath is already ridiculous. I hope she gets better.:hug:
Hello Val

Aw, thanks for asking, just spoke to Mum on the phone and she feels much the same, but had bit better sleep. Still complaining about an irritating cough although it 'sounds better' and her voice isn't as hoarse. I am hopeful she is on the mend.

As for Dad, :rolleyes::shrug::dismay:he still isn't getting it. Even if it's not Covid-19 that Mum has, it is similar enough to freak someone else out if he has it and doesn't have signs, but passes it on. Or worse, they have underlying health problems and it causes them to be really ill.

I again offered to walk to supermarket, shop for them, put in his boot, so he is still somewhat isolated. I think he is acting under 'normalcy bias'. Or complete denial. Maybe the lock-down last night will actually make him stop so I can shop for them.....

Keep safe all, and as they say in Blighty, 'Chin up, chest out!', or something along those lines....

Morning/afternoon y'all! Another hot day here and getting hotter every day! I will go to the "drive through" at the library to pick up my book this morning. I am going to meet my sister at the riverwalk in Sanford this afternoon. We can get a take out lunch and eat at the little park on the river. It is a really pretty area with a marina. Getting out a little is good for you! I don't think there will be a problem with crowds of people.
On the other hand, it was reported on Facebook that the Publix stores were mobbed for the senior hours this morning. The parking lot was full and lines around the building. People are insane! I will not be going to Publix any time soon. I will get what I need at the little Dollar General around the corner.

Yay! Guess where Unghshu is now?? We're at the country!:hottub: But(!) it's only for a couple hours, and we've come by bus, despite that less 1.5 hours ago we were in Elijah's car! What an escapade... ugh...🤯🥴 We were approaching Moscow highway, when the car simply stopped!!! We came out and saw a big puddle of petrol that had spilled out of the tank onto the road. Elijah didn't believe that the tank was damaged as the indicator was still showing the full tank. So we decided to go to the country by bus, and poor Elijah had nothing to do than to call an evacuator. I advised him a couple neighbourhood sevices, and we grabbed the essential stuff back from the car. (The car was full of various garbage that was supposed to be taken to the country, including the cute cozy soviet carpet that Liza had been asking him to take there for David).
So, mom saw an approaching bus from our hometown, and we started waving hands in order to make the driver stop. As a rule, it's a 684th bus, that goes to Tosno (town next to our summer cottage). He stopped, we jumped in, paid "za proyezd" and took a seat. And then it suddenly goes the wrong way! It crossed the highway, instead of turning left, and we understood that it's going to Voyskorovo settlement (another name inherited from the Finnish times of our area). So we had nothing else than to go to Voyskorovo (it wasn't far at all), then we took the same bus. At least we saw some gorgeous landscapes of sparkling river Izhora that was down the hills (Voiskorovo is located on big hills).🏞️🌅 Of course, mom told the driver all this "horrible story" about the broken car and the puddle of petrol, and he assumed that it was probably a damaged hose (of the tank) and it got torn out.:iiam: We got off at crossroads and, having seen the 610th bus (from SPb), started waving hands again. It stopped, we jumped in and came to Tosno. Then we took a 330th bus and came to our community. I said i wanted to take a walk, and mom went to our plot (Gala is already there).
Unghshu is sitting at river Tosno bank, looking at the landscapes that i love so much.🌲🌳💖 But the wind is icy, and it's really cold at the river, so i'm going to our plot. ...I hope Elijah is ok,- i'll call him a little later (that really sucks: so much money for an evacuator).🙄

I'm not well. :( I really feel like crap now. Dizzy, cold, my chest doesn't feel right. I don't have fever. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm dead tired after my work week, or that if I'm in fact ill. So I just have to be in quarantine now and see how the week goes and call the doctor later this week if I'm not getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.