The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't already read it, I highly recommend this book:
The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate - Discoveries from a Secret World
Peter Wohlleben
Oh, thanks a lot! :hug: Sounds promising. All i managed to download for free (and in Russian) so far, is a fragment (15.5 big pages of "The hidden life of trees"). But it's still very interesting. I'll try to find some more of it, or maybe a video (i'm not 100% sure, but it seems to me that i've seen something aboot it on Youtube now - some documentary.
My fragment's cover in pdf (yay!!):
Screenshot_2020-03-25-02-31-07-758_com.adobe.reader.jpg

Reactions: Mischief
The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate - Discoveries from a Secret World
Peter Wohlleben

Omgoodness. I'm reading "The Overstory" by Richard Powers - it's a novel about this and the activists who try to save the giants the Pacific Northwest. It's very good!

Omgoodness. I'm reading "The Overstory" by Richard Powers - it's a novel about this and the activists who try to save the giants the Pacific Northwest. It's very good!
Thanks for mentioning this book! I 've just put a hold on it.

Reactions: Sax
Peter Wohlleben

That's on my reading list! I'm almost done with The Overstory by Richard Powers, a novel that spends a lot of time on the complex ways trees interact with the rest of the world.

• Friendly
Reactions: Poppy and Mischief

Oh cool you're reading it too!

Lockdown starts midnight tonight... Glad I got some grocery shopping out the way today, looks so weird out there, very unsettling.... But now realise I need cleaning products so will have to venture out again in a few days...

Stay safe, Freesia. It’s definitely weird. One positive thing coming out of this is, when I go for my daily walk I’m seeing so many families outside, either playing with their children in the yard, or walking. Yesterday I heard a dad laughing with his child...I couldn’t see them because there was a thick hedge separating their yard from the sidewalk/street. But it was such a nice sound. Some people are just sitting on their front steps. And we all wave and say hi to each other. It’s kind of nice. The weather was really nice yesterday, too.

I‘ve been staying put as much as possible. Saturday I had to return my car as the lease was up. It took all of ten minutes. The salesperson was very mindful of precautions as were my husband and I. And yesterday I had to venture out to the post office to mail some important documents.

I’m waiting for instruction from my insurance as to what to do with my license plates as I can’t return them to the DMV because they are closed. I think I can mail them but I want to make sure I get a credit for the insurance from the date I surrendered my car.

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is another beautiful day here in central Florida though the temperatures are well above normal. I chatted with a few of my neighbors last night; everyone is doing their best in this crisis. People continue to be stupid and mobbing the grocery stores.

I just went for a short walk just to see what it was like out today. It's weird seeing people walking around in pairs. It's quite easy for me to avoid walking near anyone if I stick to the main roads. The pharmacy was almost empty although my prescription wasn't even ready!

Probably 50% of the people I saw were wearing masks or scarves across their face.

I got a call from Liz, the store manager. She said she was checking on everyone and passing on the latest info from corporate which is that we will be paid through April 4th. They are averaging our hours to figure out what to pay us. She said she has conference calls often and will keep us informed.
Feel better Mikkel!

We're not on lockdown where I am, but my family has been following very strict social distancing, only going out for walks and going to the grocery store once a week. My kids are getting a bit stir-crazy as this is week 2 of the schools being closed. My husband and I both work in the tech sector and are therefore both working from home. Trying to assist the kids with their schooling while working ourselves is a bit much, but overall we are very lucky and I feel very grateful this crisis is not more impactful to my family (yet). We're trying to be good citizens and donate funds to various organizations, do our part with social distancing etc. Fingers crossed all of this is over sooner rather than later.

I've staged a coup and am monopolizing my husband's Nintendo Switch in the evenings in order to play Animal Crossing: New Horizons. It's the only time of day I actually feel calm, if I'm being honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.