Nutrition & Diet SUPPLEMENTS

In general, if you're a vegan, the only thing you can't get adequately from your diet (unless you eat a lot of fortified food, i.e. fortified soya milk etc) is vitamin B12. I'm not sure if that's what you're asking. In general, if you're a vegetarian you can get all the vitamins/minerals/etc you need from your diet.

There might also be other vitamins you should take depending on your health and circumstances, for example pregnant women are advised to take supplements, or you may be advised by your doctor if your deficient or have other health problems.

Whether, in general, it's a good thing to take multivitamins otherwise (i.e. just take a multivitamin no matter what your personal diet/needs are) doesn't seem certain. My understanding is that current research is contradictory as to whether taking multivitamins is a benefit to our health, and in some cases can have negative side effects as some vitamins are dangerous in higher levels.

I'm not a doctor though, so I may be wrong! This is all based on online reading...

B12 and D, plus perhaps iodine and selenium which are typically scarce in vegan food. All this is in my vegan multi-vitamin though.

thanks everyone just seem a bit run down lately and my "aliens" are a nightmare - i find that multi vitamines stimulate my appetite so dont like taking them.

i do notice a huge difference when my husband gives me vitb6 and 12 injections. I just tend to beat around the bush cause it burns :df: but must just bite the bullet.

going to get some omega 6 and 3.

and a good protein whey shake

Be careful if you have a B12 deficiency. I have a friend who was vegetarian for years. She never had her levels checked and she was just diagnosed with a pretty bad deficiency. She now has some permanent nerve damage in her legs and pernicious anemia.

I'm so glad I knew about the B12 issue from the get go and supplemented right away. I get blood work once a year and my levels have always been in the normal range.

I should also mention I am a nutritional yeast addict. :)

Methyl B 12, calcium and Vit D.

I have blood tests done every 6 months and since the last one my cholesterol levels have soared.:mad:

thanks everyone just seem a bit run down lately and my "aliens" are a nightmare - i find that multi vitamines stimulate my appetite so dont like taking them.

i do notice a huge difference when my husband gives me vitb6 and 12 injections. I just tend to beat around the bush cause it burns :df: but must just bite the bullet.

Why not just take the pills then?

There are ways to give injections that minimize burning at the site. He can google z-track injections or look at this for directions. http://www.enotes.com/z-track-injection-reference/z-track-injection.

Or for a video

I've just read some interesting information in Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis, that people over 50
should have B12 injections. Apparently it has something to do with reduced production of acid in the stomach.