Halting B12 supplement before MMA test

Sunny

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, does anyone know, if you are going to have an MMA test done to check B12 levels, should you stop taking the supplements for a time before the test?

I've always been told to avoid anything the day and day before any testing, but I don't know about longer.
Have you been supplementing with methylcobalamin or cyanocobalimin?
Cyano is more stable, while Methyl can degrade and not provide what the label lists as value, but for some people they need the methylated form. That's all I know about the MTHFR gene

Reactions: Sunny
Hi, does anyone know, if you are going to have an MMA test done to check B12 levels, should you stop taking the supplements for a time before the test?
I have no idea, but why do you think you might have to do stop? Were you low in B12 before and now taking B12 mega-doses to get back up to normal levels?

Hi, I have been taking a multi that has 40 mcg Methyl B12 and I take it most days. I am not sure about how much difference, if any, this makes but the multi I take says "Highly absorbed and safe methylcobalamin form of B12".

I have no idea, but why do you think you might have to do stop? Were you low in B12 before and now taking B12 mega-doses to get back up to normal levels?
I've been reading about the MMA test and see that some people suggest you stop taking it for a bit before having the test with the idea that it may produce an incorrect (higher) result.

All I know is you don't want doses that haven't been metabolized to skew the results, but I've only ever been told to not take any supplements a couple days before testing-I don't know if that test is different, but worse, I don't know if your physician would know!

Reactions: Sunny
I fully expect she won't even know what the test is. :D I think what you said is reasonable. It is what I do when having my thyroid levels checked.

I'm not sure what I think of this website (in link) but it does mention MMA, and some other tests too. I did a quick search for cost of an MMA test in the U.S. without a doctor's note and it was about $100. The homocysteine one was about half that, so if you are concerned and absolutely can't get an order for the MMA, maybe you could try asking about the other one, as another option.

I'm not sure what I think of this website (in link) but it does mention MMA, and some other tests too. I did a quick search for cost of an MMA test in the U.S. without a doctor's note and it was about $100. The homocysteine one was about half that, so if you are concerned and absolutely can't get an order for the MMA, maybe you could try asking about the other one, as another option.

Good idea. Thank you.