Food supplements-Well Known Brands V Discount ones?

Datel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Basically, what is the difference between "expert"-recommended dietary supplements at extortionate prices and the ones offered in discount stores at a (small) fraction of the price?

Or to put it another way, what would speak against taking which (e.g. B 12 / B vitamins) from the discounter (instead of those recommended by "experts")?

Reactions: Brian W
Basically, what is the difference between "expert"-recommended dietary supplements at extortionate prices and the ones offered in discount stores at a (small) fraction of the price?

Or to put it another way, what would speak against taking which (e.g. B 12 / B vitamins) from the discounter (instead of those recommended by "experts")?
Good question. I would guess the amount of each nutrient differs and also, maybe a matter of trust. There have been cases of supplements not containing what they say they contain.

Reactions: Lou
Good question. I would guess the amount of each nutrient differs and also, maybe a matter of trust. There have been cases of supplements not containing what they say they contain.
Personally, I trust the chemist's own brand. I think they are trustworthy and not overpriced.

Good question. I would guess the amount of each nutrient differs
Yes, possibly just like the manufactures might think what combinations of nutrients and amounts of them are good. But that would not justify / explain the price difference, I guess.

maybe a matter of trust
Like always, I guess. Yes, but one never knows / does not know whom to trust, so one could buy the cheap one anyway.

There have been cases of supplements not containing what they say they contain.
Yes, that happens quite often, everywhere, always.

Personally, I trust the chemist's own brand. I think they are trustworthy and not overpriced.
Why are they trustworthy? So more trustworthy than a discounter?

Yes, possibly just like the manufactures might think what combinations of nutrients and amounts of them are good. But that would not justify / explain the price difference, I guess.

Like always, I guess. Yes, but one never knows / does not know whom to trust, so one could buy the cheap one anyway.

Yes, that happens quite often, everywhere, always.

Why are they trustworthy? So more trustworthy than a discounter?
Doesn't it make sense to you that a standard chemist has an interest in giving you good supplements whereas a discount company doesn't necessarily? I think it is obvious!

Doesn't it make sense to you that a standard chemist has an interest in giving you good supplements whereas a discount company doesn't necessarily? I think it is obvious!
Yes, yes, well well, it makes sense to me, I would say, but it also makes sense to me if the chemist didn't have it. Sorry, I do not understand. Why does the chemist have that interest and the discount company does not? Why is it obvious?

Yes, yes, well well, it makes sense to me, I would say, but it also makes sense to me if the chemist didn't have it. Sorry, I do not understand. Why does the chemist have that interest and the discount company does not? Why is it obvious?
I think you are just being negative for the sake of it. If you are so sure of your position, why did you ask in the first place? I have noticed a pattern over the last few years - raw vegan and conspiracy theories seem to go together. A dangerous rabbit hole! Your question here is utter nonsense that you made up either just to get a reaction or as a defensive wall against facts. There is no point in anybody addressing you in this thread because their words will be wasted on you.

Holy sh...I wouldn't have expected that, very sorry. That sounds like drivel in a fever. Maybe just light a candle and end the day in calm and peace and make sure no insidious raw vegan gets you. Very sorry again. Wasn't on purpose to cause such a fuss.

IMHO, you should buy from "Name Brands"
For instance I buy a lot of my stuff from DEVA. I trust that brand and they are also economical. And vegan.
My doctor prescribed Vitamin D and the pharmacy filled the prescription with Nature Made. So I feel good about that company. Although I don't think they are vegan.
And my RD once recommedned a Magnesium supplement from Doctor's Best. So I get that one.

It's so worth buying empty capsules and filling yourself. I just bought a cap filling set up that's very quick and easy

Cyanocobalimin is stable while methylcobalimin degrades. Dr Greger recommends cyano so you know you're getting the dosage listed

I did find CVS own brand of vitamin D did not work for me. I got the symptoms I had in deficiency come back

Aren't food supplements ALWAYS vegan?

Many thanks for the links. That really doesn't sound good at all! Pretty scary.

So in order to try to avoid risks, you should actually buy these expensive products from reputable manufacturers best with such a certification and exclude discounter supplements.

It's so worth buying empty capsules and filling yourself. I just bought a cap filling set up that's very quick and easy
Does that mean you make the pills yourself so to say with some device? Didn't even know such is available.

I did find CVS own brand of vitamin D did not work for me. I got the symptoms I had in deficiency come back
It's usually not that easy to determine which nutritional supplement is the cause, I guess. So you don't know which of them doesn't work or even harms.

Aren't food supplements ALWAYS vegan?

Many thanks for the links. That really doesn't sound good at all! Pretty scary.

So in order to try to avoid risks, you should actually buy these expensive products from reputable manufacturers best with such a certification and exclude discounter supplements.

Does that mean you make the pills yourself so to say with some device? Didn't even know such is available.

It's usually not that easy to determine which nutritional supplement is the cause, I guess. So you don't know which of them doesn't work or even harms.
Many capsules are gelatine, I've even seen algae DHA - even labeled as plant based DHA- come in geletine capsules!

I mix 4 parts organic tumeric powder with 1 part black pepper and take one or two caps a day. I also capsule amla as it's supposed to help lower cholesterol.
I bought this pill maker for 00 vegan capsules: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/p/capsule-connection-the-capsule-machine-00-1-unit

Well there is always the USP certification.

Consumer Reports also analyzes vitamins, but requires membership fee:

Many thanks for the links!

I mix 4 parts organic tumeric powder with 1 part black pepper and take one or two caps a day.

It is turmeric powder? And regular pepper? So the regular spices? If so, why put this in capsules? And not just put them in / sprinkle them on the meals or so?

Consumer Reports also analyzes vitamins, but requires membership fee:
So this somehow is the same as the reviews on Amazon but more reliable?

Many thanks for the links!

It is turmeric powder? And regular pepper? So the regular spices? If so, why put this in capsules? And not just put them in / sprinkle them on the meals or so?

So this somehow is the same as the reviews on Amazon but more reliable?
I despise the taste of tumeric, both fresh or powdered. In a strong curry it's fine, but that's not that much. The black pepper increases bioavailability.

Consumer Reports does third party testing and research to make non biased comparisons of products. Amazon is nothing but buyer reviews

I despise the taste of tumeric, both fresh or powdered. In a strong curry it's fine, but that's not that much. The black pepper increases bioavailability.
So simply because of the taste perceived as disgusting prefer to swallow (without chewing). Good idea. I didn't even think that an amount like what fits into a capsule could still be tasted so distinctly when mixed into food that it could be perceived as unpleasant. And perhaps it is also better to take the spices at a certain time related to the food, such as before that they develop their optimal effect.

But turmeric and pepper are, after all, probably natural, good foods, so one probably doesn't need to worry about taking them.

Thank you for the link, so a very useful spice (combined with pepper). Okey, yes, one should probably pay attention to the Daily Dozen anyway.

Consumer Reports does third party testing and research to make non biased comparisons of products.

OK, that indeed sounds quite much more reliable.

Yes, yes, apparently, but - I do not have any idea about nutrition - perhaps not so digestible, so may be not a good food.

Belladonna is natural too.
Tumeric and pepper are natural alternatives to NSAIDS and the quanties in 00 size capsules is about a quarter teaspoon (1.23ml ). There is no downside (for most people, unless you have an allergy) to making your own capsules from the same spices you could have on food
Not fair to compare with a natural substance you should never be ingesting in any way.

I mix up pepper and turmeric and add about 1/4 tsp to my oatmeal and soups and stuff. probably not enough to do much good but I don't mind the taste.