Lysine: Vegan source for this supplement?

atod

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have seen many vegetarian suited supplements online, but nothing stated vegan. Does anyone know if such a supplement exists?

Why do you think you need a lysine supplement. Most vegans don't. If you are eating enough calories you are probably getting enough lysine.

Some of my favorite vegan foods are especially good for lysine. Beans lentils and soy are some of the best plant based sources of lysine.

Reactions: Emma JC
I have seen many vegetarian suited supplements online, but nothing stated vegan. Does anyone know if such a supplement exists?

You don't need it.

I use the free version of the site cronometer.com. You write down what you eat, it tells you how much of your daily required nutrients you got.

I just typed in 1 cup of cooked black beans and 1 cup of cooked lentils. Nowhere near what a vegan might eat in a day.

Just those two servings provided 91% of the daily requirement for lysine

you have be cautious when using Chronometer and tracking amino acids.
If you specify a food, it only adds what is included on the nutritional label. And nutritional labels don't include data on amino acids.

For instance if you add Silk Soy Milk to your dairy it lists 7 grams of protein but no amino acids. Of course it has amino acids. they are just not listed on the label.
A work around is to add generic food and not specific foods. So if you add a generic food, like Soy Milk, it show that if has .5g of lysine - 25% of the RDA

Some specific foods do list amino acids. for instance Bush's Best Vegetarian baked beans have .4g of lysine. I haven't figured out if there a reason for some but not others.

Anyway, it's pretty easy for a vegan who eats enough calories to get enough lysine. or any other amino acid.

you have be cautious when using Chronometer and tracking amino acids.
If you specify a food, it only adds what is included on the nutritional label. And nutritional labels don't include data on amino acids.

Are you sure that is true?

When I select a source for nutrition information among the choices are government databases that do their own tests, like the USDA database.

Reactions: bEt
Are you sure that is true?

When I select a source for nutrition information among the choices are government databases that do their own tests, like the USDA database.
no I'm not. however it happened enough to me that I did some experimenting.

According to Chronometer, None of the silk products I purchase contain amino acids. And this is true for most brands of soy milk.

I have found this problem on other brand name foods as well. I think the Bush's baked beans was more of an exception.

Again I don't know what the reason is. my guess is that if you type in a specific food it uses what is on the label. This makes sense cause whether its beans or milk the recipes vary by brand. So you would have the most accurate results by using the nutritional label. nutritional labels aren't required to show amino acids or othe micronutrients. So Cronmeter just leaves those things blank.

you won't find Silk Soy Milk or Trader Joes Cuban Style Black Beans in the USDA database. so Chronometer uses another database.

just looked it up

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Emma JC

I just assumed in my last reply that you wanted lysine supplements for nutritional reasons. Is that the case or do you want lysisne supplements for medical uses?

Regardless, doing a web search on "vegan lysine" I found a number of results. I am guessing you did that too or you wouldn't be asking here. What was wrong with those choices

no I'm not. however it happened enough to me that I did some experimenting.

According to Chronometer, None of the silk products I purchase contain amino acids. And this is true for most brands of soy milk.

I have found this problem on other brand name foods as well. I think the Bush's baked beans was more of an exception.

Again I don't know what the reason is. my guess is that if you type in a specific food it uses what is on the label. This makes sense cause whether its beans or milk the recipes vary by brand. So you would have the most accurate results by using the nutritional label. nutritional labels aren't required to show amino acids or othe micronutrients. So Cronmeter just leaves those things blank.

you won't find Silk Soy Milk or Trader Joes Cuban Style Black Beans in the USDA database. so Chronometer uses another database.

just looked it up

Brand name listings for basic foods often have the least information as those listings often use what those companies made available.

However, if you are concerned about what nutrients you are getting you can use one of the government or academic data sources to get very complete information on basic foods, which will be fairly close to the name branded basic food ( even with calories ).

Brand name listings for basic foods often have the least information as those listings often use what those companies made available.

However, if you are concerned about what nutrients you are getting you can use one of the government or academic data sources to get very complete information on basic foods, which will be fairly close to the name branded basic food ( even with calories ).
yes. absolutely.
I more or less just mentioned this as a point of information. As having relied on brand name listings myself.
Also for me it's sometimes the brand name listing that is more useful for me. Being that I don't worry about amino acids too much. And like for instance, Silk products are fortified. They have all kinds of added vitamins and minerals that won't be included in the "generic" product.

Same kind of thing has come up with flax seed.
in that case its the brand name that don't show any omegas