Supplements - omega 3 and children

Seabluefox

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi All,

New vegan :) Have been doing lots of research!!

I had already invested in a multivitamin for the winter which luckily are veggie at least and have B12 and iodine. the only other supplement i am considering is Omega 3 which i under stand i need 250mg DHA/EPA.

Rather than another tablet i was considering an oil to mix into smoothies or food, or just be brave and take,

Any advice or experience on a good one ? Or if there aren't any, perhaps i should just accept another pill ?

Also would like one that is child friendly or a separate one that is children friend which is just omega 3, not with other vitamins ?

Thanks all

I did a medium amount of research. But I'm still just feeling my way thru this.

Just to summarize what I have figured out.
Flaxseed is a good source of ALA.
The body converts ALA to DHA and EPA as necessary. but that seems to be an "optimum response". If things aren't perfect the conversion could be too slow or not work at all.
So as insurance, I've chosen to take a supplement.

I was doing the Nature Made Omega 3 Vegetarian Softgels, 540 mg. 60 Count for a while. Just one a day. The label suggests two a day but that seems like overkill. I started having trouble finding them for a good price and I think the Amala is a better deal.

Right now I am taking the Amala Vegan Omega 3. I think its a good deal. about $0.23 a day. Available at Amazon. Free shipping if you have prime. And if you subscribe you get a 15% discount too.

I actually like the convenience of pills but I've heard that the algae oil is an excellent way to go. It seems a little expensive. plus isn't the algae oil just DHA? Another benefit is with the algae oil you can adjust the dosage. And if you can adjust the dosage you can adjust the dosage for a kid. Although that brings up the question: what is the proper dosage?

This is still a topic I'm interested in so I hope you get some good responses.

FYI
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-supplements-for-vegans#section8

Reactions: Forest Nymph
Just FYI Algal DHA is the easiest to absorb because it doesn't require conversion (it's often suggested for pregnant/nursing women and the elderly so would be advisable for small children in some cases) but it has a very "fishy" flavor. I found the flavor absolutely distracting when using the Earth Balance that contains the algal DHA. That being said, it would be excellent in things like vegan mock tuna salad on a sandwich, or used in fried tofu fishless fingers. You can also avoid the taste by giving it to the child in soft gels.

However, unless your child has a nut allergy they can likely eat walnuts, flax seeds and flax oil. Flax oil can be put into smoothies, hot cereal, and into salad dressings - really any number of things.

Reactions: Lou

Looks good at first glance, but it appears that all the Omega 3 is ALA. Which is readily available from plant-based foods (like chia seed - which is what this brand uses). Maybe its different for kids but I think we also need DHA and EPA.

I noticed on the same page as your product - another product that is chewable and has DHA. And promoted for children.

https://www.amazon.com/Salaam-Nutritionals-Halal-Gummy-Omega/dp/B00V3W8BUK

There might even be some others with EPA if you look around.

Hi All,

New vegan :) Have been doing lots of research!!

I had already invested in a multivitamin for the winter which luckily are veggie at least and have B12 and iodine. the only other supplement i am considering is Omega 3 which i under stand i need 250mg DHA/EPA.

Rather than another tablet i was considering an oil to mix into smoothies or food, or just be brave and take,

Any advice or experience on a good one ? Or if there aren't any, perhaps i should just accept another pill ?

Also would like one that is child friendly or a separate one that is children friend which is just omega 3, not with other vitamins ?

Thanks all

Hi Seabluefox,

It looks your research has been good, you are focusing on the right things.

I've never looked at Omega 3 tablets, but they can be expensive.

I decided to eat chia seeds (grind them otherwise you lose the benefit and add to anything, you don't taste them) and walnuts.

These provide the ALA Omega 3, and the body is able to convert these to the other Omega 3s you need. There is some debate about this conversion efficiency, but what limited evidence and studies are out there suggests that it's usually OK. I am not 100% on this; some more studies would be nice.

I also took a blood test of Omega 3 levels after one year and it was fine and I'll do it again one day. That was my insurance incase the ALA-EPA/DHA conversion wasn't working. Those blood tests were also expensive.

Reactions: Lou
thanks for all your reply's so far, very helpful. the UK doesn't seem to be as good at supplements but i have found opti-3 which seems to tick the boxes.

Am also trying to eat chia and walnuts but i know i am not organised enough with two you children too, to be sorted all the time so supplement is my backup !