DHA and EPA for improved sleep

Brian W

Conscientious Christian
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
M said she has been sleeping a lot better recently and the only thing I know has changed is we have started taking algae based Omega 3 with a combined DHA and EPA of 250 Mg. Of course, I can't say for sure that this is the cause but I got curious and did a little research.

Differential Effects of DHA- and EPA-Rich Oils on Sleep in Healthy Young Adults: A Randomized Controlled Trial

Therefore, the current placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial, investigated the effects of an oil rich in either DHA or EPA on sleep quality in healthy adults who habitually consumed low amounts of oily fish. Eighty-four participants aged 25–49 years completed the 26-week intervention trial. Compared to placebo, improvements in actigraphy sleep efficiency (p = 0.030) and latency (p = 0.026) were observed following the DHA-rich oil. However, these participants also reported feeling less energetic compared to the placebo (p = 0.041), and less rested (p = 0.017), and there was a trend towards feeling less ready to perform (p = 0.075) than those given EPA-rich oil. A trend towards improved sleep efficiency was identified in the EPA-rich group compared to placebo (p = 0.087), along with a significant decrease in both total time in bed (p = 0.032) and total sleep time (p = 0.019) compared to the DHA-rich oil.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt
I've been taking algae DHA caps for years, switching brands based on prices, looking for 250 mg of dha or dha/epa combined per capsule. Haven't found any difference. I think i've bought these more than any other

Not sure about helping sleep, but they sure help my focus. I never ate fish, and had always tried to get omega 3-6-9, but these I really feel, so maybe I don't make the formulation well

Reactions: bEt