Strange Food Combinations

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
15 Weird Food Pairings That Just Work

I like a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on vanilla ice cream. Balsamic vinegar with strawberries. Chocolate in mole sauce. Crispy smokey flavoured tofu with fried bananas. Blue cheese with Sauternes (sweet white ) wine. Sea salt sprinkled over caramel sauce. Vinegar with chips. Salty peanuts with banana milkshake plus a drizzle of maple syrup. Roast fruit ; apricots, pineapple with roast seitan or soya loaf.

Hmmmm...not sure how strange this is but I always liked eating cold potato salad with warm eggplant parmigiana.

Reactions: Val
I like vegan cheese and strawberry jam sandwiches and I used to like peanut butter and cream cheese sandwiches, I don't think it is that weird, though.

I think that we used to have cheese and jam sandwiches when I was a youngster. I also used to like crisp sandwiches.

A few years ago I was on this snack kick inspired by a favorite sandwich of the protagonist in a series of books I was reading... the sandwich was peanut butter and pickle. What I used to do was lightly toast slices of wholegrain sourdough baguette, spread 'em with extra chunky peanut butter, and top 'em with slices of baby dill pickles.

(My initial reaction) ---- **tentative bite** :| **crunch, crunch** :wtf:**crunch** :weird: OMFG!! **crunchcrunchcrunchcrunch** :drool:

I like strawberries and raw spinach in a salad.
A touch of sweet (fruit, either fresh or dried), is indeed good in a salad, especially if there's also something salty (like olives) in it.

That's one exception I make to my general rule of not liking sweet stuff as part of a savory meal - for example, I don't like sweet potato casseroles - much too sweet.

I like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

Last edited:
One of my favorite sandwiches - sliced radishes and margarine on a good hearty bread.

for example, I don't like sweet potato casseroles - much too sweet.
Agreed on the sweet potatoes. Blehhh... :yuck:

Damn, I want peanut butter/pickle snacks sometime soon. I wondered about making my own peanut butter... I have unsalted roasted peanuts, maybe add some tahini....

The problem lies with finding an excellent dill pickle that won't make me stroke out from the sodium. LOL :rolleyes:

I used to use Bessinger Baby Dills.... ooohh, sooo goood.... :lick:

Reactions: Mischief
One of my favorite sandwiches - sliced radishes and margarine on a good hearty bread.
Whoa, I just had a food-flashback to when I was maybe 11 or 12.... we were visiting friends in Newburyport, MA... and we tried large slices of white radish, spread with fresh butter, sprinkled with salt & pepper.... Really tasty! :)

Oooo pickles & peanut butter? Love both... Cant imagine them together but I'm going to have to give it a try!

A touch of sweet (fruit, either fresh or dried), is indeed good in a salad, especially if there's also something salty (like olives) in it.

That's one exception I make to my general rule of not liking sweet stuff as part of a savory meal - for example, I don't like sweet potato casseroles - much too sweet.

I like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches.

I like fruit ( fresh or dried) with savoury food.

I don't even want to taste the marshmallow sweet potato dish as I already find the latter too sweet. When I make sweet potatoes, I usually serve them with kale or spinach.

Reactions: Val and Mischief
Apple pie with cheese, I keep reading that lots of people like that food combination. I like the taste of cheeze with sliced apple, but with apple pie?o_O

Apple pie with cheese, I keep reading that lots of people like that food combination. I like the taste of cheeze with sliced apple, but with apple pie?o_O
I used to love that! I worked as a server in my twenties and that restaurant got a lot of requests for apple pie with a slice of cheddar under the crust and melted. I've always liked apple with cheese and now like the Daiya cheddar blocks A LOT.
I also like apple with miso. Maybe try a cashew chese ball, heavy on miso, lighter on garlic, some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar,- would liquid smoke be good, or funky, with miso? Oh yeah, some refined coconut oil as that was key to my last one. Maybe some tomato paste? Paprika. Where does the cheddar flavor for cheese come from anyway?

I used to love that! I worked as a server in my twenties and that restaurant got a lot of requests for apple pie with a slice of cheddar under the crust and melted.

It must be quite common, but clearly I missed it. I have read that at Christmas some people in the UK eat a mince pie (not meat mince, they are sweet pies) with a slice of cheddar cheese.

It must be quite common, but clearly I missed it. I have read that at Christmas some people in the UK eat a mince pie (not meat mince, they are sweet pies) with a slice of cheddar cheese.

I know that a slice of cheddar is popular with apple pie as the latter isn't sickly sweet. However, I have heard heard of mince pies being eaten with cheese.
This reminds me that I must make a batch of my usual mincemeat - absolutely love it !!!!! I managed to get 3 miniature bottles of cognac (for mincemeat) on the flight back to Europe. The flight attendant was such a sweet man and gave me them !

There is nothing more delicious than a warm mince pie with brandy butter or cream on a chilly winter's evening.:p

Me, too. I used to put mustard on the bread. :D

When I'm making a seitan, nut loaf , avocado or tofu sandwich, I always spread French mustard onto one slice and plant based spread onto the other.

The other day I saw Giada's TV show where she spread some tomato passata ( marinara) onto a slice of bread before adding cheese and toasting it. It was like a mini snack pizza.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val