UK Product Thread

1707996807717.png

"When Cathedral City launched its first vegan cheese alternative in 2022, I was so excited to see how it measured up to other options on the market. After all, you’d expect a major cheese manufacturer to know a thing or two about making cheese.

The first thing I noticed when I open the packet was the fruity smell of cheese – it really does smell just like a block of mature cheddar!

Cutting into the block, I was surprised at the soft, crumbly consistency – it’s the most realistic vegan cheddar you can buy in the supermarket. It’s not rubbery at all and is so creamy on the tongue – it really does melt in the mouth thanks to the coconut oil in the ingredients.

However, I did find the coconut flavour to be quite prominent when eaten cold. It’s certainly not as strong as some other brands, but it is perceptible on the palate. Despite that, the flavour is rich, tangy with a nice saltiness. If the coconut flavour was paired back a notch then it would be perfect.

I put its melting abilities to the test by grating it on top of a pasta bake and found that it melts really well, but does need a little longer to get the full result.

If using the block variety, I’d recommend topping your dish with foil for 10 minutes to allow the cheese time to steam and melt more evenly. However, if you’re looking for more melt, try the shredded variety as this melts really well."

Taste: 9/10 | Aroma: 10/10 | Texture: 10/10 | Meltability: 8/10 | Overall score: 9/10

Vegan Food & Living Magazine

Cathedral City Plant Based Cheese has an RRP of £3.60 and is available to purchase from Sainsbury’s, Asda, Tesco, Ocado, and Morrisons.

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T
1707997390927.png

"If you love vegan cheese, then you’ll be well aware of La Fauxmagerie – the UK’s first vegan cheesemonger.

Not only do they stock a wide range of the finest dairy-free cheeses from the very best independent vegan cheesemakers, but they also make their own artisanal fauxmage too.

I have been looking for a good vegan brie for many years, and La Fauxmagerie’s certainly didn’t disappoint. In fact, I would go as far as to say it’s absolutely indistinguishable from a non-vegan brie.

Cutting through the soft white bloom rind, you’re greeted with the sweet but pungent scent that is characteristic of a good brie.

I adore the texture of this vegan brie because it’s superbly smooth and just melts away in your mouth so perfectly. It’s actually far creamier than traditional brie and is so easy to spread on crackers.

The taste itself is beautifully buttery with a slightly sweet note that’s elevated with truffle oil and champagne for a rich and complex flavour.

It’s truly un-brielievable (if you’ll pardon the cheesy pun!)!

La Fauxmagerie’s Bree Au Champagne is priced at £5 and is available to purchase from lafauxmagerie.com."

Taste: 10/10 | Aroma: 10/10 | Texture: 10/10 | Overall score: 10/10

• Love
Reactions: PTree15
1707997547668.png

"La Fauxmagerie’s sample bundle contains five handcrafted cheeses and is an excellent introduction to their range of handcrafted vegan cheeses.

The bundle includes five different varieties, each with a unique taste, texture, and aroma. From the creamy soft-rind cheeses to the sharp and tangy blue cheese, this bundle has something for everyone.

I would highly recommend this if you’re looking for a gift or want something that will truly wow your guests at the end of a dinner party.

One of the standout cheeses in the bundle is the Clapton Chive, which has a smooth and spreadable texture and a deliciously moreish flavor. The camembert is also exceptional, with a rich and creamy texture and a sensational taste that is sure to impress even the most discerning cheese lovers.

The taste, texture, aroma and appearance of all of them are so authentic and I loved their soft, spreadable textures and punchy flavours. The Clapton Chive was particularly moreish and the camembert is just sensational.

La Fauxmagerie’s cheeses are so soft and creamy that they practically dissolve in your mouth, leaving you with a luxurious and indulgent experience.

However, this velvety texture means that they’re best kept in the fridge until serving time to avoid becoming too soft and losing their shape. So, make sure to chill your cheeseboard before indulging in these delectable vegan cheese alternatives!"

Taste: 9/10 | Aroma: 10/10 | Texture: 9/10 | Overall score: 9/10

Reactions: PTree15