Health Issues Sleep problems

Thanks for the recommendation, Val. I do appreciate it. My problem is I’m afraid to take anything, even natural remedies. My daughter keeps telling me to try melatonin but my anxiety prohibits me from trying most things. It’s a problem, I know.
Well, speaking about lipoic acid,- it's quite natural, because this is basically what human body consists of. But you're right, not trusting the words of others. I don't trust anyone either. I'm telling you about lipoic acid from the perspective of my own experience. Perhaps, what is good for me, may be not good for you. OTOH, most of the time i'm taking Tioctacid (lipoic acid by MEDA), because i can't fall asleep,- not because my liver hurts.😛

Please don’t think that it’s because I don’t trust “you”. I don’t take half the stuff my doctors have prescribed over the years, either, lol. I’m insane. :)

Please don’t think that it’s because I don’t trust “you”. I don’t take half the stuff my doctors have prescribed over the years, either, lol. I’m insane. :)
I hope you had good doctors, not like mine... but as a rule, not doing what doctors say, might save one's life. :lol:

• Love
  • Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I have been dealing with a sleep disorder for 20 years. My issue is not falling asleep but staying asleep. Or falling back to sleep if I wake up.
I got a lot of relief with just lifestyle changes.
Eating early, not snacking in the evenings, getting exercise in the AM, getting outside for at least a half hour in the day, not consuming caffeine in large quanities and not after 10 AM. Taking about a half hour to prepare for bed. Not listening to the news after 7 PM, not reading to fall asleep. Staying up later seems to be counterintuitive but it helps me a lot too.
I also had a moderate amount of success with 1 mg of sublingual melatonin just before bedtime.
I've also tried some of the timed released products that contain large amounts of melatonin and they work ok too.
Large doses of THC also work - but they don't last long enough to keep me asleep the whole night.

Try some of these ideas. and if you have an iPhone check out the Sleep Score app. its a good way to evaluate some of these ideas

@Lou - I saw you mention sleep issues in the moustache thread - I often fall asleep listening to something and over the past few months I have a new favourite - Nothing Much Happens Podcast — Nothing Much Happens - I love it and never really get to hear the whole story which is pretty much the point...

My all time favourite is S10:E16 The Pecan Tree — Nothing Much Happens

She puts a new one out every week.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
Thanks Emma for finding this thread. I knew there was one. I think we have talked about sleep issues is a lot of other threads but I'm glad you found this one and pointed it out.

Even better, just a couple of posts above is a decent summary of my Dos and Don't which I mentioned to @Jools Holland.

As I have said before I don't have any trouble falling asleep. my main issue is staying asleep. When I'm awake at 3am, sometimes my brain gets busy with negative thoughts. so I've found that I can distract my self by listening to an audio book. My problem with audio books is that sometimes they keep my interest too well, or if I fall asleep before the sleep timer goes off it can be hard to find my place. So I think I'll try your suggestion.

I also have some apps that have guided meditation and other sleep aids. My HMO gives me a subscription to the app Calm.

Right now my favorite thing is to listen to an audio book of a book that I've already read before. It seems to work better for finding where I left off the night before.

The last two winters I've been sleeping so much better. I think it's temperature related. but could be something else too.

Thanks Emma for finding this thread. I knew there was one. I think we have talked about sleep issues is a lot of other threads but I'm glad you found this one and pointed it out.

Even better, just a couple of posts above is a decent summary of my Dos and Don't which I mentioned to @Jools Holland.

As I have said before I don't have any trouble falling asleep. my main issue is staying asleep. When I'm awake at 3am, sometimes my brain gets busy with negative thoughts. so I've found that I can distract my self by listening to an audio book. My problem with audio books is that sometimes they keep my interest too well, or if I fall asleep before the sleep timer goes off it can be hard to find my place. So I think I'll try your suggestion.

I also have some apps that have guided meditation and other sleep aids. My HMO gives me a subscription to the app Calm.

Right now my favorite thing is to listen to an audio book of a book that I've already read before. It seems to work better for finding where I left off the night before.

The last two winters I've been sleeping so much better. I think it's temperature related. but could be something else too.

I can't wait to hear what you think - she addresses the 'waking up in the night' at the beginning of every one of the podcasts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: bEt and Lou
I used to have problems getting to sleep and I had chronic insomnia for years. Now since having the Covid jabs and flu jabs I am sleeping so much. I get 8 hours every night now at least and one night I had eleven and a half hours sleep last week when I caught Covid again. From one extreme to the other! My fitbit says the last three nights I had 8.32, 8.37 and then 9.15 hours sleep. The more jabs I'm getting the more I 'm sleeping. I have read that some people feel tired after getting the Covid jab, but this should only last a few days. I was exhausted for about 6 weeks after having just the flu jab in October, I think it was.

I used to have problems getting to sleep and I had chronic insomnia for years. Now since having the Covid jabs and flu jabs I am sleeping so much. I get 8 hours every night now at least and one night I had eleven and a half hours sleep last week when I caught Covid again. From one extreme to the other! My fitbit says the last three nights I had 8.32, 8.37 and then 9.15 hours sleep. The more jabs I'm getting the more I 'm sleeping. I have read that some people feel tired after getting the Covid jab, but this should only last a few days. I was exhausted for about 6 weeks after having just the flu jab in October, I think it was.
Do you think the tiredness from the early jabs has got you settled into a natural regular sleep routine, after all, 7-9 hours isn't extreme, it's normal.

Do you think the tiredness from the early jabs has got you settled into a natural regular sleep routine, after all, 7-9 hours isn't extreme, it's normal.
I haven't slept that long since I was a teenager. I used to get a few hours sleep, wake up in the early morning and then maybe get another hour. This went on for decades. I would only get 5 hours sleep most nights.

It is obviously better that I'm sleeping more. It just feels strange to me.

Also I don't feel less tired with the extra sleep.🤔

I haven't slept that long since I was a teenager. I used to get a few hours sleep, wake up in the early morning and then maybe get another hour. This went on for decades. I would only get 5 hours sleep most nights.

It is obviously better that I'm sleeping more. It just feels strange to me.

Also I don't feel less tired with the extra sleep.🤔

As someone with maintenance insomnia, a lot of sleeping issues are based on sleeping patterns and habits. The jab may have just sort of knocked you into a different pattern.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
As someone with maintenance insomnia, a lot of sleeping issues are based on sleeping patterns and habits. The jab may have just sort of knocked you into a different pattern.
It is weird, especially as I haven't heard or read of anyone having this same problem. If we have to have these Covid jabs for years I could end up sleeping 10 hours a night!

As I have mentioned I have been sleeping so much better this winter. Last night I slept 6.5 hours without waking up. Can't remember the last time I did that.
I think I would feel great if I could sleep six hours straight. I've been doing 7ish but it's always with frequent wakefulness. I sleep 3-4 hours pretty soundly but the rest of it is very restless. I need the bathroom at least once, often twice.

I've been having problems with sleep for a long time... I don't know what to do - should I start using sedatives?
Do you have anxiety problems? Do you get exercise and fresh air during the day? Do you have other health issues? Maybe talk to your doctor.

I've been having problems with sleep for a long time... I don't know what to do - should I start using sedatives? I was recommended to looking for at Canadian pharmacy maybe someone has already ordered and can advise what exactly

That is the last thing to do. Seek some professional advice as sleeping pills are never a long term solution.

Reactions: Brian W
Yes, @Emma JC is right. You Should read this thread.
Not so sure @shyvas is absolutely correct. I've spoken to people with sleeping issues who have had their doctor recommend a pharmaceutical solution. It does vary from person to person but in a nutshell it's the opinion that using a pharmaceutical is better than the damage your body may undergo if your sleep issues are severe.

With that said, it varies from person to person. I have my insomnia mostly under control with simple basic lifestyle changes. Not completely and not consistently. but it's at the point that it's something where I'm not that worried anymore.

One of my friends did give me 5 of her pills to try. I've tried taking one and I've tried taking a half. And I just don't like how I feel the next morning. I have the same issues with other pills I've tried. But my issue has always been staying asleep. And when I take a small enough dose that I'm not groggy in the morning - I find that it's too small to keep me asleep for more than 5 hours.

Anyway, some where in this thread I go over my lifestyle changes. I suggest you try them first.

Reactions: Emma JC