Health Issues Sleep problems

I watched a documentary about sleep recently and one thing that stood out to me was that taking a prebiotic (not probiotic) supplement might aid in getting better sleep. The doctor with insomnia started taking it before bed and said that he slept much better afterwards. So there may be a link between gut health and sleep. I've ordered some tablets from Amazon.

How To Sleep Better And Other Things Learned From BBC Documentary 'The Truth About Sleep' | HuffPost UK

I hope that it will help. Have you tried taking magnesium as it also helps with insomnia ?

This is a bad advice, but when i cannot sleep, i often take a pill of lipoic acid with some alcohol. It gives me a healthy sleep for the next 6-7 hours.:ma: It works just for me because of my polineuropathy. I can advice to everyone a lipoic acid, which is a healthy supplement, but i don't reccomend lots of alcohol with it:dizzy:

Last edited:
Sleep is bad again lately. I go to sleep at about 11 or so, sleep lightly, wake up every hour and am jumpy when I wake up. dreams don't help the cause. I just want to pass out and not wake up for at least 6 hours. It is like anxiety when I am sleeping.
This seems to be my normal when there is stressors in my life. I get one day a week of ok sleep, normally Sunday.

The secret to a good night’s sleep later in life is having a good reason to get up in the morning, according to US researchers who surveyed people on their sleeping habits and sense of purpose.

People who felt they had a strong purpose in life suffered from less insomnia and sleep disturbances than others and claimed to rest better at night as a result, the study found.
More: Sense of purpose aids sleep, US scientists find (10. July 2017)

I jinxed myself. Been telling people how I've been in a better sleep loop and now I've been awake since 2 am. And I have to crunch budget numbers tomorrow at work. This is not going to end well, hahahahahaha.

My doctor wanted to refer me to a sleep clinic, but I'm trying medications and other things before I go there. I don't like the idea of sleeping in a room full of strangers!

My sleep is much better than it was a few months ago and I think I am getting the proper REM sleep finally.

One new thing I tried last night was a binaural technology recording and I had the most strange dreams! I just read that they were probably lucid dreams. If anyone is interested, I got the recording free with a book I read called Opioid-Free Pain Relief Kit: 10 Simple Steps to Ease Your Pain.

Last edited:
Haven’t been this bad in months. I feel like an infant when they get overtired...all wound up and the less I sleep the less sleepy I feel. I think I will do some things this morning and then take Benadryl after lunch and take a good long nap. Otherwise, it’s going to get ugly, lol. And I always find that when I nap in the afternoon, I’m more rested at bedtime and I sleep better. I’m so odd. My body always reacts the opposite of the norm.

omg i have horrible sleep. i get pounding headaches and migraines. sometimes 5 htp and valerian help. I tried magnesium but never helps.

Wow, I haven’t been this wide awake in the middle of the night in a long time...where I sleep 3-4 hours then lie awake for 2-3 hours before falling back to sleep. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. and it’s now 3:00 and I’m not the least bit sleepy! I tried all of my tricks, too but here I am, wide awake. I have to work the Rabies Clinic this afternoon, too. I hope I can get at least another hour in before morning. I also have to pick up Ben’s prescription at the compounding pharmacy before the clinic. I hope I’m not doomed for a terrible day!

Wow, I haven’t been this wide awake in the middle of the night in a long time...where I sleep 3-4 hours then lie awake for 2-3 hours before falling back to sleep. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. and it’s now 3:00 and I’m not the least bit sleepy! I tried all of my tricks, too but here I am, wide awake. I have to work the Rabies Clinic this afternoon, too. I hope I can get at least another hour in before morning. I also have to pick up Ben’s prescription at the compounding pharmacy before the clinic. I hope I’m not doomed for a terrible day!

I think that it's also the stress with thoughts 'how am I going to manage to get through the day' that make insomnia difficult. I've been there many times and surprisingly the day wasn't as bad as I expected.

I'm not like you and cannot lie in the dark for hours on end. I just get up, have coffee and watch the news. :p

I've been up since 4 am and am battling a migraine. I think that I've lost the former and it's also going to be a
bad day.:rolleyes:

How are you managing with Ben ? Is he getting any better ?

Funny because I’m craving coffee right now lol.

Some baked goods sounds very appealing too. Good thing I’m too lazy to make anything lol.

Hello, it’s me. :)

I woke up at 2:30 AM and it is now 4:45 and I still can’t fall back to sleep. My brain and my eyes are just totally awake. It’s been like this the last three nights. I’m hoping it’s just the excitement of the coming week. I’m going to Cape Cod on Monday for five days. My step daughter is coming in from California. I’m looking forward to being at the Cape and seeing her. We are all going...my three kids, grandkids and the hubster. We never do anything vacation wise all together like this so it's extra special. Last time we got together was two years ago when we went to the Catskills.

And as much as I am looking forward to it, I am a little anxious about leaving the cats, even though I know they will be well taken care of by two of my friends. One of them is even going to come twice a day. That is the good thing about me not selling my house yet. And I do have a showing today at noon so I’m anxious about that, too.

It’s so weird, though, how not sleepy I am. My head feels like I drank a ton of coffee and yet I haven’t had any with caffeine. And yet I’m exhausted. I think this is what true insomnia feels like… Being really tired but not sleepy with your brain being extra wired.

I fell back to sleep finally! It was fitful and the cats started scratching at the door at 6 am so it was not restful sleep, but it’s better than nothing considering I have to whip this place in shape for the noon showing. 🤞🏻

55C00B9F-E517-48DF-981C-D2BEB68FC5CF.jpeg617028BC-C031-4D0C-8C11-A0D46B05AEEC.jpeg

I will be dead by Friday. I may have to get some Benadryl for tonight, otherwise I won’t get through our last two days on Cape Cod. We’re going to do the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard on Friday. I don’t even know why it’s this bad. My body feels pretty beat but I’m not sleepy at all. 😭

A80D2C80-A081-4E17-8E48-A0487B0E250E.jpeg

I will be dead by Friday. I may have to get some Benadryl for tonight, otherwise I won’t get through our last two days on Cape Cod. We’re going to do the ferry to Martha’s Vineyard on Friday. I don’t even know why it’s this bad. My body feels pretty beat but I’m not sleepy at all. 😭

View attachment 17760
Maybe you won't believe me, but have you been considering taking lipoic acid (like, a 600mg pill?). Preview, haha... Lipoic acid is found in internal organs, so it's not a "drug", strictly speaking. One might not believe that it cures almost everything(!) It's such a wonderful remedy, because it repairs mitochondrion DNA. I take it almost daily due to my liver condition (and it's the only medicine that really helps my liver), but it has multiple purposes. One of them - is improving damaged nervous tissue (though alfoscerate choline is better).
Why am i saying this?😁 It has a surprise,- a side effect. It lowers blood pressure and makes you veeery sleepy. But it's a very healthy sleep! You won't feel sleepy during the day! After you swallow it, try to switch off all gadgets, close the doors, switch off your stove, etc. Get in bed and wait for 20-30 minutes. Don't forget to switch on your alarm clock, if you need to get up earlier than after 6 hours, because you'll be sleeping like a baby for minimun 6-7 hours, or even more. And you'll be seeing colorful dreams, because your brain cells' DNA will be getting renovated at the moment! After awakening, you will feel fresh and full of energy, inflammation processes will be gone, headaches will be gone, any physical pain will either disappear or decrease dramatically. Don't be afraid of the feeling that you don't know where you are in the first 5 seconds, lol. The main organ in the body is mitochondrion (though it's not an organ), and lipoic acid is a thing loved by mitochondria.🔬
NB: Never take more than 600 miligrams (1 pill) at once: for instance, if one eats 10-15 pills at once, he'll develop hypoglicemic coma. 20 pills at once - mean rapid death. But there's nothing to be worried about, if you don't get overdosed. Please check your permanent medicines (if there are any) for compatibility with lipoic acid.
Aaaand... try not to drink alcohol simultaneously. It will lower your blood pressure even more. Just, "everything in moderation" will do.☺ Take care... :hug:

Thanks for the recommendation, Val. I do appreciate it. My problem is I’m afraid to take anything, even natural remedies. My daughter keeps telling me to try melatonin but my anxiety prohibits me from trying most things. It’s a problem, I know.