Health Issues Sleep problems

Mikkel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I have really problem to fall asleep from time to time. I've had thiese problems since I was 14-15 years old, so I've had them for over 20 years now (I'm old... :( ). But it's have been getting worse the last years.

I'm a typical B person. Or more or less extream B person from time to time. It's not getting better since I only work nights I guess. But special in the winter time, it's quite nice to see the sun too, or at least some day light...

From time to time, I use medicines to fall asleep, as sometime I just have to. But I really don't want to get stuck in that pattern. I can be really tired very early at the evening, but when it's time to get to bed, I'm not able to sleep (and I can't get to bed at 7 p.m., as I will wake up at 1 - 2 a.m.)

I try to read a book, look at a film or something, getting up again (as now), just turn of the light (but then I just end up laying there in the dark).

So do you have any good tips for getting good sleeping habbits?

Studies have shown that you shouldn't be looking at any electronics (TV, computer, etc.) for at least an hour before going to bed.

The last year or so, for the first time in my life, I've had a problem falling asleep. I load audio books on my MP3 player and lie down with someone effectively reading to me - it gets me to fall asleep very quickly. Music does not have the same effect for me.

I have no problem falling asleep. It's staying asleep for more than four hours that is the problem. :(

How are you with caffeine? Make sure you don't have anything caffeinated after 3pm or so. That could keep you from falling asleep. I find I sleep better with a carby bedtime snack, something like a piece of whole wheat toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Sleep issues are just awful to deal with.

Reactions: Tom L.
I sleep really easily, but I don't know how translatable the way one personal falls asleep is to other people (if that makes sense). I think doing something relaxing before bedtime is good - nothing too stimulating like TV/games, maybe listen to the radio, read a book, play a game of cards... something chilled. I also like to have a routine with sleep, I usually get ready for bed at roughly the same time and then read for half an hour.

My fiance listens to podcasts to fall asleep. As a kid he always fell asleep with the TV on and he doesn't seem to be able to just lie down and sleep. He has a pillow with a speaker in it, so he can listen to a podcast without disturbing me, or being uncomfortable (or having wires around his head/neck).

This probably sounds kinda goofy... but whenever I want to sleep, I just imagine being in a certain, relaxing, comfortable place, and then I just think about all the dull little details, and I fall asleep right away. Like... sometimes I imagine a cosy attic room with pillows all over the floor, and a window looking out over the hills, and a coffee machine and a big tin of biscuits... usually by the time I've imagined where the coffee machine is I'm asleep. Or sometimes I'm on a desert island, and I think about where the caves are, where the forest is, and what kinda fruits would grow that I could eat, by the time I'm on guavas I'm asleep. Or maybe in a forest with a little hut, and I have to go get supplies for the winter because it's so remote, and I think about all the stuff I'd need - dried beans, lots of books, tinned fruit. I'm asleep! I don't know, like I said, it's kinda goofy, but I'm usually asleep within a couple of minutes. I think it just makes me feel relaxed, and stops me worrying or thinking about things that are stimulating enough to keep me awake. :shrug:

Thanks! I envy people so much that only can lay down and sleep in just a few minutes. If I'm going to do that, I have to be extreamly tired and fell asleep at the coach or something...

I don't drink coffee at all, tea very rearly (but not sure if any of them have caffeine or not in them) and don't drink Coke or anything like that anymore.

I think I've got the bad habbit to have to do something before I fall asleep too, and it doesn't help in the long run. And I'm always doing so much before I go to bed too. Dogs out, waterbowl filled up, put away everything I haven't done earlier that day, put on the dishwasher if it's full etc. Perhaps I should start to do all those things earlier, turn of the computer and TV and try to relax with a book for an houer or something. A start at least...

I fell asleep about 5 - 5.30 .a.m today, and then slept to 12.30 p.m. It's no different if I've been active or not at the daytime or been a lot outside. And sometimes I'm getting stressed about not being able to sleep, and it doesn't help at all... :p

As a lifetime insomniac, I feel your pain. Only thing that helps me is hypnosis. I don't know if you have a smart phone? But there are lots of free sample hypnosis apps that you can listen to & try. If not, I'm sure there are hypnosis CDs that can be bought. They really help relax me & fall asleep. Worth giving a try :)

As a lifetime insomniac, I feel your pain. Only thing that helps me is hypnosis. I don't know if you have a smart phone? But there are lots of free sample hypnosis apps that you can listen to & try. If not, I'm sure there are hypnosis CDs that can be bought. They really help relax me & fall asleep. Worth giving a try :)

I have. :) Do you have any to recomend?

I have no problem falling asleep. It's staying asleep for more than four hours that is the problem. :(

How are you with caffeine? Make sure you don't have anything caffeinated after 3pm or so. That could keep you from falling asleep. I find I sleep better with a carby bedtime snack, something like a piece of whole wheat toast with a teaspoon of peanut butter.

Sleep issues are just awful to deal with.

Occasionally I have the same issue with staying asleep. It doesn't happen all that often though and I really feel for all of you that have sleep issues. I can't imagine having chronic insomnia and sleep problems. I don't know how you guys function during the day on such little sleep.:hug:

I agree about the carby snack. To hell with all those people that claim you can't eat after a certain time! :p I need to eat something carby and protein packed before bed. I can't go to sleep hungry or else I will wake up in the middle of the night famished.

I tend to have a strict sleeping schedule and ritual. I wake up incredibly early no matter what. I never allow myself to sleep in (not even a little bit) or nap. I find that laying in bed with my laptop with the tv and lights off actually makes me tired and I"m able to fall asleep.

Sleepytime tea also does a good job at making me drowsy and it's delicious! http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/sleepytime-teas/sleepytime. Have you tried herbal remedies?

I have ridiculous sleep problems that I have had since I was a child and I find alcohol is the only thing that knocks me out. :oops: Melatonin does work but it sometimes gives me nightmares and it can make me feel groggy the next day.

I do have a sleep hypnosis CD that does sometimes work for me and it focuses on diaphragmatic breathing.:)

Thanks. Boght that app!

So tonights plans are first of all finnish all doings long before bedtime, so the only thing is to let out the dogs for a last pee. Turn of computer and TV at least one houer before bedtime, put on pyjamas and find a good book and just relax. And then use the app when I go to bed!

Thanks. Boght that app!

So tonights plans are first of all finnish all doings long before bedtime, so the only thing is to let out the dogs for a last pee. Turn of computer and TV at least one houer before bedtime, put on pyjamas and find a good book and just relax. And then use the app when I go to bed!

Exellent, hope it works out for you!

Yes, I had sleep problems myself in the past, but I attributed that to a bout of depression.

Not being able to sleep at night, being very tired during the day to the point of almost passing out.

Had some of those problems recently due to alcohol, but I think that it has mellowed out.

soaking in mustard and ginger powder bath, followed by massage with essential oils of lavender , mandarin and sage...some relaxing yoga postures and cup of herbal tea helps me.... also meditating.

it really does help to put some time management in place. dont leave everything till before bed.

Reactions: ledboots
he8u5udu.jpg

I'm just starting a bad sleep pattern again after months of doing pretty well. I'm going to try not to stress over it because that will surely just magnify the problem...although my math skills will be AWESOME!!!! Haha

Ugh, insomnia or bad sleep sucks.

I hate being on on-call duty six or seven times a months exactly because of this. Even if they don't call you in the middle of the night you never sleep as deep as you usually do.

I usually sleep with a healing meditation that uses binaural beats. Very soothing.

Reactions: ledboots
Been having sleep issues for about a month now. Last night was the worst. I tried staying up later...till 10:30... Hoping I would make it till at least 4 o'clock. I've been averaging six hours a night and while it's not the preferred amount of sleep I would like to get it's been manageable. But instead I woke up at 2:45 this morning and have not gone back to sleep. Needless to say, I'm going to be in big trouble today. I'm going to get up now and get ready for work. And I have my Thanksgiving prep to do. And the kitties take a lot of my time especially with Bratt healing from the broken leg and the fact that I decided to take in the stray cat until Friday. Wahhhh!!! I'm tired and my day is just starting.
:(

Since I don't consume milk any more, I occasionally take a calcium supplement if I think I've been consuming too few calcium-rich foods lately. I don't overdo it, since too much calcium isn't good either. But I find that if I take it late in the day, it acts as a mild sedative. Leaving a radio on (not too loud) also helps me drop off.