Hi and a little question

Jet1998

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello all,

I am Jet and I am 25 years old and I live in the Netherlands.
I have been a vegetarian since I was 15 years old and now I am vegan since a couple of months.
Or at least I try my best to be fully vegan and that goes well for like 95% of the time.
But still I keep making little, but very stupid, mistakes.
For example, I discover when I drink tea from a tea bag from the supermarket and I find out there is honey in it, or I eat a vegetarian burger and it turns out to have egg, milk, or worse both, in it.
I hope you have some tips and tricks for me, how to get fully 100% vegan.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Jet

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
To me, finding my 'normal' changing to vegan was more important than not ever consuming animal products.
You're changing your ways in a world that doesn't care. Some are more vocal in their advocacy, other fare better with compromising and gentle encouragement.
While of course you should read labels I wouldn't worry as much about slips as becoming comfortable with the change.
I'm in the US and found it more of a challenge to stay vegan than vegetarian with dairy & eggs.
:welcome:

First off, little mistakes are all part of life. You learn by making mistakes. And if your mistakes really bother you a lot - well then it's more likely that you will learn from them.

Also of great importance. No one is perfect. And it's unlikely you will ever become 100% vegan. But there are no rewards or awards at the end. Just knowing you did a good job is all you can expect or want.

The definition of vegan includes the word "strive". so trying hard is what makes you vegan. Some people call that. performance based as opposed to product based. Or as someone told me. Your food can be vegan. But you can only try to be vegan.

Another couple of word in the definition is "practical and practicable". In other words you only need to what is good for you. YOU decide what is best.

My favorite saying comes to mind: Don't let perfection be the enemy of Good.

One vegan philosopher said something along the lines of its not about personal purity (perfection). Make your decisions based on what is good for the animals.

welcome to the forum - the fact you are making this life change is huge and as @Lou says, don't let perfection make your new choices miserable

It takes time and practise to get to the place you are comfortable with and I am so thrilled for you that you are on this journey.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com