Health Issues Sleep problems

Calcium...good idea. I haven't taken any for awhile. I have no problem falling asleep at all. It's staying asleep for more than 4 hours. Sometimes I'm lucky and I fall back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. But it's so weird that when I wake up after just a few hours, I feel wide awake and refreshed. But I can't start my day at 3 a.m. I'd never make it through till evening.

I recently bought one of the softer V shaped orthopaedic pillows and I am sleeping so much better! The first night it felt uncomfortable but then I got used to the shape and it really makes a difference to my insomnia.:)

Reactions: ledboots
I got an iso-cool memory foam pillow for Christmas last year. I like it but it doesn't seem to be helping in the sleep department. I have less pain, though. That's a good thing!

Last night was bad again...awake at 3:00 but I fell back to sleep around 5:00 so got another 90 minutes in. The only problem with sleeping between 5-6 is that my cats bother me so I only doze on and off. That's my fault, though. I should get up at 5, feed them, then shut them out of my room at that point. I'm usually too tired to do that. Feeding time is a chore...different food for each cat...Bratt in the cage...whine, whine, whine, lol.

It's ok, coffee is ready. I'll be fine in half an hour. :)

..... I have no problem falling asleep at all. It's staying asleep for more than 4 hours. Sometimes I'm lucky and I fall back to sleep for another 2-3 hours. But it's so weird that when I wake up after just a few hours, I feel wide awake and refreshed. But I can't start my day at 3 a.m. I'd never make it through till evening.
See, my problem is sometimes not staying asleep also. But with me, it's caused by having to get up and urinate during the night. I find that if I don't consume so much salty foods, I don;t drink so much and this problem isn;t nearly as severe. Of course, I still don't let myself get dehydrated- I just don't guzzle so much.

Do you think that maybe this is your normal sleep pattern- sleeping for just a few hours, being completely refreshed after that, and having to sleep again for a brief time before a full day has passed?

Bump.

In answer to Tom's question, it's definitely a pattern but I don't know if I'd call it normal, mainly because it doesn't fit in with my daily life. If I were retired it would be great...I could nap. But waking at 2-3 am then needing to go back to sleep from 5-7 doesn't fit in with my summer hours which are 8-4. I need more than 45 minutes to get going and get out of the door. And if I stay up then it's a problem getting through the day, especially if I have to drive somewhere that is more than a few miles away. I take my sister to her doctor appointments, a 45 minute drive. I can't make it on 4 hours sleep.

I did great for a few months but now the last two weeks I'm in the same routine again. I have been awake since 2:30...I tried falling back to sleep at 4:30 but it didn't work. I'm going to get up now (5:30) but I hate to think of how tired I am going to be after lunch.
:sob:

Bump.

In answer to Tom's question, it's definitely a pattern but I don't know if I'd call it normal, mainly because it doesn't fit in with my daily life. If I were retired it would be great...I could nap. But waking at 2-3 am then needing to go back to sleep from 5-7 doesn't fit in with my summer hours which are 8-4. I need more than 45 minutes to get going and get out of the door. And if I stay up then it's a problem getting through the day, especially if I have to drive somewhere that is more than a few miles away. I take my sister to her doctor appointments, a 45 minute drive. I can't make it on 4 hours sleep.

I did great for a few months but now the last two weeks I'm in the same routine again. I have been awake since 2:30...I tried falling back to sleep at 4:30 but it didn't work. I'm going to get up now (5:30) but I hate to think of how tired I am going to be after lunch.
:sob:

I really feel for you. I have to get up at 4.45 or 5 am at the latest and this has greatly disturbed my sleeping pattern. I'm also up at between 2 to 3 during certain nights ( or mornings) and can't get back to sleep. Just thinking of having to do my work load ( very stressful) makes me feel worn out in advance.

Furthermore the doctor that checks employees through the firm's medical system has made a request that I change my shift. My firm on the other hand refuse to honour the request. I'm stuck in a situation where my health is is getting worse but I need a job.

Are you worried about anything in particular as this always affects sleep patterns ? Could you possible have a shorter lunch break and go back a bit earlier in the evening. I know that this is not always possible, depending on the kind of job you full fill.

I've not managed to sleep later than 5.30 am since the last 8 days and I'm starting to feel stressed out. I wonder how I'm going to manage to cope during this coming week ?:(

I've not managed to sleep later than 5.30 am since the last 8 days and I'm starting to feel stressed out. I wonder how I'm going to manage to cope during this coming week ?:(
Sorry to hear that. When do you go to bed? I've found that I sleep better sometimes when I go to bed earlier rather than later. Do you have ideas to what are waking you up / keeping you awake? (No need to discuss if you're uncomfortable with it, obviously.)

Sorry to hear that. When do you go to bed? I've found that I sleep better sometimes when I go to bed earlier rather than later. Do you have ideas to what are waking you up / keeping you awake? (No need to discuss if you're uncomfortable with it, obviously.)

I'm an early bird and go to bed very early. During the Winter months I'm usually in bed by 8 or 8.30 pm during work days.

I could be perfectly happy with a 9 pm to 5 am sleep schedule but that never happens. Regardless of what time I go to bed, I am wide awake after four hours sleep, remain awake anywhere from 1-3 hours, then sleep for another two hours. It always seems to happen this time of year. I was doing really well for a few months then bam...not so much the last few weeks. I think I get very hyped up and excited come Autumn and it throws me off until after January.

I could be perfectly happy with a 9 pm to 5 am sleep schedule but that never happens. Regardless of what time I go to bed, I am wide awake after four hours sleep, remain awake anywhere from 1-3 hours, then sleep for another two hours. It always seems to happen this time of year. I was doing really well for a few months then bam...not so much the last few weeks. I think I get very hyped up and excited come Autumn and it throws me off until after January.

I'm exactly the same way! I must need about 7 hours overall but it will usually be divided into two separate sleeps in the same night, or I wake up multiple times in one night after having about 4 hours when I first go to sleep.

Occasionally I will sleep for about 7 hours straight but that must only be a couple of nights a month.

Reactions: KLS52
I'm a mess. A sleepless mess. I just took some Benadryl. I started to fall asleep around 10 pm but woke with a start after just a few minutes. Then my allergies kicked in. And Stella took my wakefulness as her cue to pounce on me. Timing stinks as I have to drive my sister to a doctor appointment tomorrow and I can't afford to be drowsy on the ride home. Blech. I hope I fall asleep by midnight.

I'm a mess. A sleepless mess. I just took some Benadryl. I started to fall asleep around 10 pm but woke with a start after just a few minutes. Then my allergies kicked in. And Stella took my wakefulness as her cue to pounce on me. Timing stinks as I have to drive my sister to a doctor appointment tomorrow and I can't afford to be drowsy on the ride home. Blech. I hope I fall asleep by midnight.
That sucks! Hope you've managed to get some sleep.

:hug: K - I was taking a calcium and magnesium tablet in the evenings and that seemed to work. I've actually forgotten to take it for the last week and I've been waking up more and not being able to drop off again.

I take my calcium most nights and always felt like it helped. Just not the last few weeks. And how crazy...I fell asleep at 12:30 am and now I woke up at 4:30...that darned 4 hour thing where I can't seem to sleep longer than that. So regardless of what time I go to bed, I'm waking up four hours later. Bizarre. And now I won't be able to go back to bed in two hours because it will be time to get up. This is why I prefer going to bed around 9-10pm...I'll wake up around 2 am, stay awake then I catch two more hours between 4-6 am. Sigh.

I take my calcium most nights and always felt like it helped. Just not the last few weeks. And how crazy...I fell asleep at 12:30 am and now I woke up at 4:30...that darned 4 hour thing where I can't seem to sleep longer than that. So regardless of what time I go to bed, I'm waking up four hours later. Bizarre. And now I won't be able to go back to bed in two hours because it will be time to get up. This is why I prefer going to bed around 9-10pm...I'll wake up around 2 am, stay awake then I catch two more hours between 4-6 am. Sigh.

I hadn't thought of taking my calcium tablets in the evening. As they make me feel a bit sick I'm worried that they will give me a migraine.

How do you feel when you only get a few hours sleep ? Some people don't seem to need to sleep the 'standard' 8 hours to feel good. I actually sometimes feel worse when I have slept a full 8 hours compared to 5 or 7.

My sleep pattern is greatly disturbed as I have to get up early for work. I went to bed at 9 yesterday evening and woke up at 6 with a migraine.

I feel great when I wake up, initially, after 4-6 hours. Like I can get up and start the day. If I don't go back to sleep after only four hours I crash badly around noon. I've had to leave work when that happens. Luckily it's not the norm. I can get through a day on six hours but then I'm falling asleep by 7 pm. But I never get six straight hours. I only get 3-4 straight, then I'm awake for 2-3 hours, then I try to catch another 1-2.

I feel great when I wake up, initially, after 4-6 hours. Like I can get up and start the day. If I don't go back to sleep after only four hours I crash badly around noon. I've had to leave work when that happens. Luckily it's not the norm. I can get through a day on six hours but then I'm falling asleep by 7 pm. But I never get six straight hours. I only get 3-4 straight, then I'm awake for 2-3 hours, then I try to catch another 1-2.

It does sound complicated because you still have to work. It is also the same problem as far as I am concerned.

My aunt used to have the same problem as she was doing night shifts when she was young and had a young family to deal with. In her later years when everyone had left home and she had retired, she was always up at 4/30 or 5 and couldn't sleep.:(