Psyllium husks in bread

Marie71

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hello everybody.... greetings from Denmark :)

I found a super healthy bread recipe. It is light as a cloud and the texture of the bread is very nice.
BUT :-( ... The bread has a soapy aftertaste. I tried using only half of the baking soda (it can have a soapy aftertaste if there is too much) and even minimizing psyllium husks to only 1 tsp, but I can't get rid of that "shampoo" ...

According to the date on the psyllium package, it should be good for another year.
I am replacing "cream of tartar" with lemon juice or a bit of vinegar, which usually works fine to activate the baking soda.

Does any of you have an idea where that soapy aftertaste is coming from? I am open to any suggestions...

This is the original recipe:

Flax Egg: (note: not necessary at all - texture is fine without it):
3 tbsp ground flax seeds
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water

Bread Roll Dough:
1 1/4 cup almond flour
1/3 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup psyllium husk powder
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/4 cup water

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
For the flax egg, to a small bowl, add flax seeds and water and whisk together. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
In a medium bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk together until fully incorporated.
To dry ingredients, add flax egg and mix with electric mixer until well-combined.
In a small pot, bring water to boil.
With the electric mixer turned on, slowly pour boiling water over dough mixture. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
Form dough into 6 equal rolls (*see note below).
(Optional) To a shallow dish, add a small amount of water. To another shallow dish, add sesame seeds. Dip rolls one-by-one in water then sesame seeds to coat the top.
Place rolls on prepared baking dish and bake for 50 minutes.
Remove rolls from oven and allow to cool before serving.