Potato Ideas

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Yesterday I made a new thread about mashed potatoes. Then Emma just gave me some great ideas for potatoes. I bet you guys have lots of good potato recipes. Instant Pot, Baked, Nuked, fried, air fried, whatever.

I'm also interested in gravy for mashed potatoes. And whatever you guys like on top of your baked potatoes.

So how about it?

Reactions: TravisSolomon
Roast potatoes
cook lentils
sautee whatever veggies are in the fridge, when they're about done add coconut milk and curry powder and simmer
garlic/cilantro/lime juice/red pepper

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Dice some potatoes, toss them in a pan for frying. add the following seasonings: basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, black pepper, dash of salt, and a looooot of paprika.

then heat up some tofurky italian sausage or tofukry kielbasa

quick and easy hash

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
Smokey Little Devils - from Jane Esselstyn and her mom - quite funny...

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I like to pair chili with baked potatoes. Loaded baked potatoes are a regular dinner at our place. Chili, broccoli, cream sauce, guacamole...pretty much anything I can find in the fridge.

I also like potato tacos- dice potatoes, toss with some taco seasoning and bake them, then use them as taco filler with all the regular taco toppings.

Potato soup-I use my pre-vegan recipe and just swap out the milk and butter.

Lately I'm on a "tater tot bar" kick. I noticed it on the kid's school menu, and asked my boys what it was like. They said "gross" :) but it got me thinking. It's turned into a quick meal- I bake a few tater tots and top with steamed or roasted veggies, leftovers like chili or baked tofu, sauce, guac, etc. I love meals like this because it suits the meat eaters in the house as well- they can easily add whatever meat and cheese they want to their dish. (same with the loaded baked potato meal- everyone eats basically the same thing, and can just add or leave out whatever toppings they want)

Nacho Cheeze Sauce is one of my other favourite uses of potatoes...

Cut up a couple of potatoes into chunks, also an 1/4 to 1/2 an onion and put them in a pot of water to cook until soft.
In a blender or food processor put 1/2 red bell pepper, clove or two of garlic, bit of salt, 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon of hot sauce (Sriracha is great), 2 tablespoons of salsa and then add the cooked potatoes and onions when they are ready. Spin it up and enjoy!

You can also add carrot to the potato/onion part and even use sweet potato.

You can put it on pizza or potatoes themselves or with chili as well as with nachos.

Emma JC

Reactions: Sax and Lou
So how about it?

This is great, as I never tried before various such types of potatoes. but some of it I know, french fries is my favorite. But this is common.
What one can do more with potatoes.

I watched a couple on YouTube, the other day, and they took their leftover (or deliberately made) mashed potatoes, added some spices and nutritional yeast and rolled them into balls, baked them and made Puffed Potatoes and then dipped them in ketchup etc.

Haven't tried it yet.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I watched a couple on YouTube, the other day, and they took their leftover (or deliberately made) mashed potatoes, added some spices and nutritional yeast and rolled them into balls, baked them and made Puffed Potatoes and then dipped them in ketchup etc.

Haven't tried it yet.

Emma JC

You should put the link in our YouTube recipes. Maybe after you try it, tho.

You should put the link in our YouTube recipes. Maybe after you try it, tho.

They (Krocks in the Kitchen) don't have a recipe video out for this yet, lots of other people do, just google

vegan air fried potato puffs

Emma JC

Anyone remember the McD's Big Breakfast hashbrowns? I would like to find a recipe to make a vegan version of those, if anyone has tried one before. I should just try my hoof at it sometime. Flax egg and potato starch with the shredded potato maybe?

Reactions: Sax
regarding hash browns that you make yourself (I have fallen in love with Ikea's potato pancakes, the downside being they are greasy):

If you have access to Trader Joe's or any other pure frozen hash brown apparently they do very well in a griddler, like a Cuisinart, and you leave them until they no longer stick (about 15 minutes). I don't have one and hope to get one because I love hash browns and find cooking them on the stove takes a long time and is challenging. I may go to a recycle store and see if I can find a good used one.

Emma JC

I also buy the TJs hash browns. they are a lot like the ones you get at McDs. They are cheap and convenient. I don't think they are greasy. They are only about 130 calories, but almost half of the calories come from fat. Not as healthy as homemade but something to keep in the freezer for emergencies. I cook them in the toaster oven, directly on the rack, on the toaster setting. I can't remember for how long but I'm pretty sure I just use the recommended amount of time on the directions.

Back when I used to bake a bunch of potatoes on Sunday nights, I would take a few and grate them and add some chopped onions, then fry them in a frying pan with some oil. You can then freeze or refrigerate them and just nuke them later.

I found this recipe and bookmarked it and I will try it out later.

There is also this

I still have a Paneri sandwich maker that I got as a gift. It's been sitting in the back of the top cabinet that I can't reach. I've been thinking of the next time i have to get in there of taking it to the goodwill, but now I'm thinking there may be some use for it. Maybe oil-free hashbrowns.

Reactions: SapphireLightning
Here are the Esselstyns making crispy hash browns in their griddlers. Funny.

Emma JC
ps I didn't say Trader Joe's were greasy I said Ikea potato pancakes are greasy and delicious

Here are the Esselstyns making crispy hash browns in their griddlers. Funny.

Emma JC
ps I didn't say Trader Joe's were greasy I said Ikea potato pancakes are greasy and delicious

I know. I just thought that the TJ's weren't greasy.
Who are these ladies?

Reactions: Emma JC