Potato Ideas

TofuRobot

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm lazy... I like the red potatoes or the mini potatoes you get from Trader Joe's - cook them in the IP (the whole bag) - eat a few while they're hot then freeze what's left over & heat them up for a couple mins in the microwave. I typically put avocado and salsa on top and/or the avocado dressing (also from TJ's). Sometimes I cut them up and put them in a big salad/bowl thing with other veggies & greens.

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I bought some fancy truffle salt over the weekend. I'm thinking of using that on baked potatoes with Earth balance, then maybe off-set the richness with some fresh sprouts or chives.

I've seen recipes that use olive oil instead of Earth Balance and parsley instead of sprouts or chives. You could also add garlic if you wanted, and/or make vegan Parmesan out of cashews.

• 👍
Reactions: Emma JC

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I'm lazy... I like the red potatoes or the mini potatoes you get from Trader Joe's - cook them in the IP (the whole bag) - eat a few while they're hot then freeze what's left over & heat them up for a couple mins in the microwave. I typically put avocado and salsa on top and/or the avocado dressing (also from TJ's). Sometimes I cut them up and put them in a big salad/bowl thing with other veggies & greens.
I like the avocado and salsa idea.

• 👍

Emma JC

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
If you used to like devilled eggs, this video from Jane Esselstyn and her mom, might be of interest as they make something similar with potatoes.

Emma JC

• 👍
Reactions: Lou

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I make these thick cut style potato chips that is a favorite treat of mine. I make these in the oven in less than 30 minutes total. They're more like a thin French fry, but if you get them baked just right, they're very much like a nice hot potato chip - crispy and delicious.

I use a mandoline but I have sliced them by hand as well. Just wash, dry and slice your potatoes. Toss them in a bowl with some onion powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt (oil is optional, but totally not necessary). Place them in a single layer on parchment paper in the oven at around 425 F for 8-10 mins. Turn them over and continue baking another 7-10 minutes longer. Check them often, as they burn easily. I serve these with a dip I make with veganaise, ketchup, Franks hot sauce, and dry chipotle pepper.

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
Potato salad! I like one that includes copious amounts of vegan mayo, mustard and bits of raw onion. (I don't normally like raw onion, but I tolerate it in this particular dish.)
It's one of my staple dishes. I always serve potato salad slightly warm with vinaigrette plus lots of Maldon sea salt for the crunch.

I also make a cauliflower & potato salad as both ingredients pair well.

IMO, nothing beats the humble spud. ;)

• ❤
  • 👍
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I make these thick cut style potato chips that is a favorite treat of mine. I make these in the oven in less than 30 minutes total. They're more like a thin French fry, but if you get them baked just right, they're very much like a nice hot potato chip - crispy and delicious.

I use a mandoline but I have sliced them by hand as well. Just wash, dry and slice your potatoes. Toss them in a bowl with some onion powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt (oil is optional, but totally not necessary). Place them in a single layer on parchment paper in the oven at around 425 F for 8-10 mins. Turn them over and continue baking another 7-10 minutes longer. Check them often, as they burn easily. I serve these with a dip I make with veganaise, ketchup, Franks hot sauce, and dry chipotle pepper.
This sounds excellent. I'm gonna make a version of this tomorrow. Smoked paprika is da bomb, and while I had combined Vegenaise with ketchup in the past, I never tried adding hot sauce.

• 👍

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
It's one of my staple dishes. I always serve potato salad slightly warm with vinaigrette plus lots of Maldon sea salt for the crunch.

I also make a cauliflower & potato salad as both ingredients pair well.

IMO, nothing beats the humble spud. ;)
I put pickle juice in my potato salad instead of vinaigrette.

Forest Nymph

Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Chutney is also good. I have two different kinds of Indian chutney in my fridge, and realized that the mild mango ginger is excellent on a baked potato with Earth Balance, salt and pepper. Indian cuisine does use "milky" bases a lot so if you didn't like EB or any kind of vegan butter, I think a couple of spoonfuls of canned coconut milk instead with the chutney would likely be good.

• ❤

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
The best potato dishes are chips (fries) roast and mash. :p

I must not forget Jersey Royals during the spring months. The best potato ever just boiled in their skin with a huge dollop of spread and a sprinkle of sea salt.😋

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I gave up potatoes as they are part of the group, nightshades, which are known to cause inflammation in some people. It’s strange how much better I’m feeling, pain wise, since not having any potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. I miss them though. I love potatoes. :sob: I’ve been eating sweet potatoes but they can’t take the place of white.

Last edited:

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I gave up potatoes as they are part of the group, nightshades, which are known to cause inflammation in some people. It’s strange how much better I’m feeling, pain wise, since not have any potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. I miss them though. I love potatoes. :sob: I’ve been eating sweet potatoes but they can’t take the place of white.
Have you ever had yuca? I haven't, but heard it's a carby sub for potatoes, and not a nightshade

I like to mash cooked cauliflower with potatoes, and add some nooch and the really tasty Fox Pointe seasoning from Penzeys. If I don't have that, roasted garlic

• 👍
  • 😍
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
Have you ever had yuca? I haven't, but heard it's a carby sub for potatoes, and not a nightshade

I like to mash cooked cauliflower with potatoes, and add some nooch and the really tasty Fox Pointe seasoning from Penzeys. If I don't have that, roasted garlic
I have not had yucca. While researching the autoimmune protocol diet I did come across plantains. Oh my gosh but I had fried plantains for the first time and they are amazing! :yum

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I have not had yucca. While researching the autoimmune protocol diet I did come across plantains. Oh my gosh but I had fried plantains for the first time and they are amazing! :yum
I also like plantains and make them in my air fryer. Such a shame that they are expensive. :(

How did you make yours ?:p

• 👍
Reactions: PTree15

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I also like plantains and make them in my air fryer. Such a shame that they are expensive. :(

How did you make yours ?:p
I made them the best possible way...gave them to a young woman at work. She fried them in a little oil and then brought me a container. :joy: Did you expect anything less? Lol

• 🤣
Reactions: Forest Nymph
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Let's Talk Vegan Creamy roasted red potato salad Recipes 0
Anonymous Name Potato diet Transitioning 35
H Black bean-sweet potato chili Recipes 0
K Are there healthy potato chips? Food & Drink 3
Blues Dog Heart Disease May Be Linked to Potato-Based Pet Food Animals In The News 0
Trende Service Baked sweet potato fries with vegan chile lime “ranch” Marketplace 0
Gail Robins Raw Sweet Potato Pie Food & Drink 2
Vee1 Vegan Potato Crusted Lentil Pie Main Dishes 0
Vee1 Vegan Mango Chili on a baked jacket potato Main Dishes 0
shyvas Sweet Potato - Facts Food & Drink 13
shyvas Vegan New Potato, Mange Tout & Basil Salad Salads 17
RabbitLuvr Vegan Potato Leek Soup Soups 3
shyvas Vegan Carrot & Potato Cream Soup Soups 0
shyvas Vegan Sweet Potato & Coconut milk Soup Soups 8
alligatortears Vegan Sweet Potato Soup Soups 3
silva Vegan Potato pancakes! Breakfast 5
das_nut Vegan How to bake a potato Main Dishes 39
sallyomally Vegan Chocolate Covered Potato Chips Desserts 3
D US Simple and basic meals ideas. Transitioning 7
R Ideas-savoury vegan junk food for a meal? Food & Drink 6
betiPT Meal Prep Ideas Food & Drink 5
peacefulveglady Cake ideas Food & Drink 7
R Would I ever be able to set up either of these charity ideas, or both? General 1
TofuRobot Breakfast ideas Food & Drink 0
Chandanrai Ideas - Quickest possible Breakfast Recipe for Vegans? Recipes 6
A Easy vegan salad ideas Food & Drink 2
shyvas High Protein Vegan Breakfast Ideas Food & Drink 6
D Media Delicious and fun recipe ideas? | sick of cold vegetables Marketplace 0
F Vegan business ideas needed Products 3
C Impressive sticker ideas General 0
E Need food ideas Food & Drink 4
Pepperstix54 New ideas Transitioning 0
rogerflash Any Ideas how to download these video recipes? Lounge 3
J Need resources/ideas for best friend Support 0
B Habitual breakfast and lunch ideas Transitioning 2
C Any ideas? Transitioning 2
Hamish Vegan business start-up ideas? Products 12
amberfunk Lentil recipe ideas Recipes 5
V Vegan snack ideas needed Transitioning 12
V Pack snack ideas needed Food & Drink 13
Julia Need vegan meal ideas Food & Drink 5
E Cheap vegan recipe ideas? Recipes 1
Emma-Jane Looking for Recipe Ideas for Mom's Birthday Recipes 0
N Brand new vegan recipes ideas? Recipes 8
M Any ideas on publicising an online vegan t shirt business? Products 1
Z Breakfast ideas please Food & Drink 17
Bite Size Vegan 11 Clever Vegan Halloween Costume Ideas For Last Minute DIY General 0
A Name ideas for a Vegan YouTube Channel General 2
sallyomally Package Exchange Future exchange ideas.. General 11
sallyomally Package Exchange Summer Exchange -Ideas, anyone? General 13