Potato Ideas

I'm lazy... I like the red potatoes or the mini potatoes you get from Trader Joe's - cook them in the IP (the whole bag) - eat a few while they're hot then freeze what's left over & heat them up for a couple mins in the microwave. I typically put avocado and salsa on top and/or the avocado dressing (also from TJ's). Sometimes I cut them up and put them in a big salad/bowl thing with other veggies & greens.

I bought some fancy truffle salt over the weekend. I'm thinking of using that on baked potatoes with Earth balance, then maybe off-set the richness with some fresh sprouts or chives.

I've seen recipes that use olive oil instead of Earth Balance and parsley instead of sprouts or chives. You could also add garlic if you wanted, and/or make vegan Parmesan out of cashews.

Reactions: Emma JC
I'm lazy... I like the red potatoes or the mini potatoes you get from Trader Joe's - cook them in the IP (the whole bag) - eat a few while they're hot then freeze what's left over & heat them up for a couple mins in the microwave. I typically put avocado and salsa on top and/or the avocado dressing (also from TJ's). Sometimes I cut them up and put them in a big salad/bowl thing with other veggies & greens.

I like the avocado and salsa idea.

If you used to like devilled eggs, this video from Jane Esselstyn and her mom, might be of interest as they make something similar with potatoes.

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou
I make these thick cut style potato chips that is a favorite treat of mine. I make these in the oven in less than 30 minutes total. They're more like a thin French fry, but if you get them baked just right, they're very much like a nice hot potato chip - crispy and delicious.

I use a mandoline but I have sliced them by hand as well. Just wash, dry and slice your potatoes. Toss them in a bowl with some onion powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt (oil is optional, but totally not necessary). Place them in a single layer on parchment paper in the oven at around 425 F for 8-10 mins. Turn them over and continue baking another 7-10 minutes longer. Check them often, as they burn easily. I serve these with a dip I make with veganaise, ketchup, Franks hot sauce, and dry chipotle pepper.

Potato salad! I like one that includes copious amounts of vegan mayo, mustard and bits of raw onion. (I don't normally like raw onion, but I tolerate it in this particular dish.)

It's one of my staple dishes. I always serve potato salad slightly warm with vinaigrette plus lots of Maldon sea salt for the crunch.

I also make a cauliflower & potato salad as both ingredients pair well.

IMO, nothing beats the humble spud. ;)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
I make these thick cut style potato chips that is a favorite treat of mine. I make these in the oven in less than 30 minutes total. They're more like a thin French fry, but if you get them baked just right, they're very much like a nice hot potato chip - crispy and delicious.

I use a mandoline but I have sliced them by hand as well. Just wash, dry and slice your potatoes. Toss them in a bowl with some onion powder, smoked paprika, and sea salt (oil is optional, but totally not necessary). Place them in a single layer on parchment paper in the oven at around 425 F for 8-10 mins. Turn them over and continue baking another 7-10 minutes longer. Check them often, as they burn easily. I serve these with a dip I make with veganaise, ketchup, Franks hot sauce, and dry chipotle pepper.

This sounds excellent. I'm gonna make a version of this tomorrow. Smoked paprika is da bomb, and while I had combined Vegenaise with ketchup in the past, I never tried adding hot sauce.

It's one of my staple dishes. I always serve potato salad slightly warm with vinaigrette plus lots of Maldon sea salt for the crunch.

I also make a cauliflower & potato salad as both ingredients pair well.

IMO, nothing beats the humble spud. ;)

I put pickle juice in my potato salad instead of vinaigrette.

Chutney is also good. I have two different kinds of Indian chutney in my fridge, and realized that the mild mango ginger is excellent on a baked potato with Earth Balance, salt and pepper. Indian cuisine does use "milky" bases a lot so if you didn't like EB or any kind of vegan butter, I think a couple of spoonfuls of canned coconut milk instead with the chutney would likely be good.

I gave up potatoes as they are part of the group, nightshades, which are known to cause inflammation in some people. It’s strange how much better I’m feeling, pain wise, since not having any potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. I miss them though. I love potatoes. :sob: I’ve been eating sweet potatoes but they can’t take the place of white.

Last edited:
I gave up potatoes as they are part of the group, nightshades, which are known to cause inflammation in some people. It’s strange how much better I’m feeling, pain wise, since not have any potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers. I miss them though. I love potatoes. :sob: I’ve been eating sweet potatoes but they can’t take the place of white.
Have you ever had yuca? I haven't, but heard it's a carby sub for potatoes, and not a nightshade

I like to mash cooked cauliflower with potatoes, and add some nooch and the really tasty Fox Pointe seasoning from Penzeys. If I don't have that, roasted garlic

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Have you ever had yuca? I haven't, but heard it's a carby sub for potatoes, and not a nightshade

I like to mash cooked cauliflower with potatoes, and add some nooch and the really tasty Fox Pointe seasoning from Penzeys. If I don't have that, roasted garlic
I have not had yucca. While researching the autoimmune protocol diet I did come across plantains. Oh my gosh but I had fried plantains for the first time and they are amazing! :yum

I have not had yucca. While researching the autoimmune protocol diet I did come across plantains. Oh my gosh but I had fried plantains for the first time and they are amazing! :yum

I also like plantains and make them in my air fryer. Such a shame that they are expensive. :(

How did you make yours ?:p

Reactions: PTree15
I also like plantains and make them in my air fryer. Such a shame that they are expensive. :(

How did you make yours ?:p
I made them the best possible way...gave them to a young woman at work. She fried them in a little oil and then brought me a container. :joy: Did you expect anything less? Lol

• Haha
Reactions: Forest Nymph