US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a moment in one of the Presidential debates where Biden tried to explain to Trump that racist dog whistles don't work any more. I think that's true and I think the Republicans surely should have realized by now, and I think Trump probably was doing this at times deliberately but I think he will be the last candidate to use racist dog whistles as part of a Presidential campaign.

• Disagree
Reactions: silva
There was a moment in one of the Presidential debates where Biden tried to explain to Trump that racist dog whistles don't work any more. I think that's true and I think the Republicans surely should have realized by now, and I think Trump probably was doing this at times deliberately but I think he will be the last candidate to use racist dog whistles as part of a Presidential campaign.
Unfortunately @Jamie in Chile, I think that that is wishful thinking...
When I see how the current Republicans are behaving most of them are following in trumps footsteps and they seem to believe that that is the way to win elections.
Hopefully they are mistaken...

I'm pretty sure Biden was wrong on that point.

Just this week I've read two articles about Dog Whistles.

I though the author of the article above made an interesting point. the author opines that the term dog whistle is no longer appropriate for the racist rhetoric that is now being used. "...it’s clear that dog whistles aren’t the understated, wink-wink phrases of a past era. They’ve never been louder." They are no longer subtle. there are no longer secret.

Reactions: 1956

If Republicans were trying to win a majority of voters that would be true. But with voter suppression and gerrymandering on their side dog whistles are an effective way to trigger us vs them enthusiasm in their base.

Looks like I'm in disagreement with several/most of you.

I do agree that the Republicans can get away with certain things because of imperfections in democracy, including the electoral college and the 2 senators per senate rule and gerrymandering. If things were fairer I think they would have to modernize the way they think on this or other issues.

However possibly by 2024 the electoral college may no longer favour Republicans. Basically, if the democrats can flip Texas so they just need to get the vote of 51% of Texans to claim 100% of its big share of electoral votes, that changes things. I wonder if that might lead to some Republican moderation.

I read or heard something on the other day. and to be fair, I'm sure I'm misquoting the guy.
I think it was one of the trials going on at a state level about voter restrictions. and I'm thinking it was in Texas, and Jaime's comment reminded me of it.

anyway a republican lawyer told the judge that the law was necessary because without voter restrictions Republicans couldn't win an election.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I read or heard something on the other day. and to be fair, I'm sure I'm misquoting the guy.
I think it was one of the trials going on at a state level about voter restrictions. and I'm thinking it was in Texas, and Jaime's comment reminded me of it.

anyway a republican lawyer told the judge that the law was necessary because without voter restrictions Republicans couldn't win an election.
Yep, I heard that too, not sure what state or the details.On CNN they spoke about it and said that it was amazing that the guy really said that out loud even though everyone knows that’s the reason. It might have been Georgia because of the Black voters...

How about this guy?

A little over dramatic, but I get it.

And this guy, if he ever loses his Senate seat could teach civics in a high school. :)

How about this guy?

A little over dramatic, but I get it.
Yep! That's Ohioan Tim Ryan! I quite like him, but he does have some personality hurdles to overcome, no matter the audience! I do always feel he's sincere! And on this--so correct

Yep! That's Ohioan Tim Ryan! I quite like him, but he does have some personality hurdles to overcome, no matter the audience! I do always feel he's sincere! And on this--so correct
Bonus points for AV aides?

• Haha
Reactions: silva
I think it might be known now the Q Anon people are not going anywhere. When one prediction does not come about it is like there is another prediction ready that explains why the earlier one was not the real thing. And they can keep having that. Not many people are out saying they are recoverers or recovering from that.

Anyone feel like the republicans who've come of their proverbial 'closets' are having a really really hard time without rump leading them? Rumpt had a talent for those word salads that could be argued as having any meaning that would be appropriate for whatever was being questioned.
Listen to Ron Johnson, or Lindsey Graham and they just fall on their face with their blatently racism classist spiels
I wish the GOP would begin talks on splitting, because it's a complete embarrasment, and a pox on any that doesn't disavow

I read something the other day about a poll they made for Republicans. Based on the answers they put everyone in 5 groups. "Those “tribes” were identified as “Trump Boosters,” “Die-hard Trumpers,” “Post-Trump G.O.P.,” “Never Trump,” and “Infowars G.O.P.”

The first two groups make up the majority. Post trump and never trump make up a third.

It will be interesting to see how these numbers move in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.