US Politics-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made the mistake of taking on a bunch of Biden haters on FB. I’m getting slammed. 😁 But I new I would because it’s a Republican page. But I have more “likes” than nasty comments so I decided to just be quiet and not respond to the accusations. I’d rather it just die down. Plus I think it’s more frustrating for them for me to not retort. And it’s not like I can say anything that would turn it around. I’m not into playing “tit for tat.”

It’s mostly name calling anyway and posting fake news information. My daughters saw it though and flipped out on me lol. “Mom! Why did you do that?!?! Are you crazy?” When they realized I was ok with it all they backed off. 😁

I'm hoping that all that anti Biden stuff slowly dies out. With little fanfare.
It should become increasing apparent that Biden is doing a good job. and would do even a better one with a better (read: Democratic) Senate.

I don't tune into to any of that but I have a friend who does. And Trevor Noah likes to make fun of Fox News.

So far the best stuff they have is the migrant situation on the border. It seems like its a regular thing to blame democrats for the problems they inherit from their Republican predecessors.

I had to turn off notifications for that post lol.

I'm hoping that all that anti Biden stuff slowly dies out. With little fanfare.
It should become increasing apparent that Biden is doing a good job. and would do even a better one with a better (read: Democratic) Senate.

I don't tune into to any of that but I have a friend who does. And Trevor Noah likes to make fun of Fox News.

So far the best stuff they have is the migrant situation on the border. It seems like its a regular thing to blame democrats for the problems they inherit from their Republican predecessors.
Biden is not perfect and should face criticism.

Nothing about climate change from the journalists, not even much about COVID
Much focus on immigration.
He is expecting to run again for President in 2024.
It looks like he is going to try and work around the filibuster first and then ultimately try to remove it if necessary. However, he didn't actually say that, but arguably it is implied.

Reactions: Lou
Vox has the best graphics department.

So I suppose you support taking guns away from the military and police officers? You need to understand the government is not your friend, the instant we turn in our guns we're all screwed.

So I suppose you support taking guns away from the military and police officers? You need to understand the government is not your friend, the instant we turn in our guns we're all screwed.

I disagree. The powers that be like the status quo. A content population buys stuff, lots of unnecessary stuff which is great for the corporations, their executives and major shareholders, which in turn lines the pockets of the politicians. A suppressed/oppressed population is primarily concerned with survival...not about acquiring the latest iPhone.

Even with every citizen armed to the teeth, the general population couldn't defend itself from an all out attack from the U.S. military. The technology/power differential between the citizenry and the government is substantial. This is the 21st century, not the 18th century.

Reactions: KLS52
Forty thousand people in the US died from bullets last year. Forty thousand a year is too high a price to pay for a false sense of security.

I disagree. The powers that be like the status quo. A content population buys stuff, lots of unnecessary stuff which is great for the corporations, their executives and major shareholders, which in turn lines the pockets of the politicians. A suppressed/oppressed population is primarily concerned with survival...not about acquiring the latest iPhone.

Even with every citizen armed to the teeth, the general population couldn't defend itself from an all out attack from the U.S. military. The technology/power differential between the citizenry and the government is substantial. This is the 21st century, not the 18th century.
Just because we're not struggling to survive doesn't mean we are not oppressed, a crafty ruler knows how to keep the people happy and prosperous so no one tries to fight the system. While all the time we are enslaved.

Dominion Voting Systems Files $1.6 Billion Defamation Lawsuit Against Fox News

This case and a few others just like it are worth paying attention to. It looks like the defense will be that no "Reasonable Person" could believe the story. And before you say that is a weak defense, keep in mind that it worked with Tucker Carson back in 2020.
Whether the defense works again or not, I believe that these cases are going to affect Americans.
The Reasonable Person has been showing up in court cases for around 100 years and at least some time testimony from Real People have affected the courts decisions. This case will be real interesting because although we may not think the Jan 6 attack was done by "reasonable people", there have been dozens of elected officials who accepted the big lie.
anyway should make for some interesting news nights.
Watch this space.

Dominion Voting Systems Files $1.6 Billion Defamation Lawsuit Against Fox News

This case and a few others just like it are worth paying attention to. It looks like the defense will be that no "Reasonable Person" could believe the story. And before you say that is a weak defense, keep in mind that it worked with Tucker Carson back in 2020.
The defense is supposed to be valid in cases where the claim was obviously spoof and not intended to be taken seriously, not in cases where the claim was given as evidence in a court of law.

The defense is supposed to be valid in cases where the claim was obviously spoof and not intended to be taken seriously, not in cases where the claim was given as evidence in a court of law.
If you're saying that in this case that is not a good defense, you must not have been paying attention when it worked with Tucker Carson....

Although I see the distinction of making a claim in a court of law as compared to making it on TV, and perhaps that is why it isn't a good defense for Powell, some of the defamation suits are just about what was said on TV.

If it worked for Tucker it Could work for Fox and friends.

And whether or not it works or not I believe it is going to change some stuff going on here in America in regard to fake news. And maybe all for the better. (For example when the Newsy talking heads muzzled the pillow guy).

I'm also imagining some great courtroom drama

Prosecution: State for the record your profession.
Witness: I'm a senator/Retired Colonel, State House of Representatives.....
P: and where did you first here that Dominion voting machines had switched Biden votes for Trump votes.
Witness: Fox News.
P: And you believed it?
W: yes.

A suppressed/oppressed population is primarily concerned with survival...not about acquiring the latest iPhone.
I think the comment that a "suppressed/oppressed population is primarily concerned with survival...not about acquiring the latest iPhone" is not always true. The middle class and upper middle class in China are totally oppressed and have no true freedom and yet are very interested in advancing themselves materially. There are different forms of oppression. In terms of what is happening in Hotan, Kashgar and Urumqi a more blatant and nasty and evil form of oppression then your comment is fair. But for Shanghai and Macau not so much. The Han Chinese turn a blind eye to their lack of freedom of speech in return for other freedoms and the ability to get rich is a key one.

So it depends on the level of oppression.

This argument that guns protect against a future authoritarian state obviously carries a little validity. You are better to concede the point but say that gun control still makes sense because the overall benefits of gun control are more important than this smaller advantage of the population keeping guns.

The idea that all there might be an all "out attack from the U.S. military" on the population is just not how it would work. Authoritarian states don't attack all of their own people, that would be absurd.

The idea that all there might be an all "out attack from the U.S. military" on the population is just not how it would work. Authoritarian states don't attack all of their own people, that would be absurd.

You didn't use the quote feature, so I'm not sure if you were responding to me...

However, When I said an "all out attack", I was referring to the quelling of an armed rebellion/resistance. I was not suggesting that a government would just attack all of it's own people out of the blue for no apparent reason.

Yes, I was responding to you. Fair point.

By the way, I'm from the UK and I honestly would suspect from a UK/European perspective the lack of gun control in the US is one of the things that people from UK/Europe find hard to understand about the US.

There are some things where people from UK/Europe might admire the US, others they might disagree with but think "well it's their choice".

But the whole gun rights debate in the US just looks totally mad from a European perspective.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Brian W and Lou
Yes, I was responding to you. Fair point.

By the way, I'm from the UK and I honestly would suspect from a UK/European perspective the lack of gun control in the US is one of the things that people from UK/Europe find hard to understand about the US.

There are some things where people from UK/Europe might admire the US, others they might disagree with but think "well it's their choice".

But the whole gun rights debate in the US just looks totally mad from a European perspective.
How I see the gun issue is mostly another issue to divide us. It isn't as if any politician really does anything, but touting their perspective of 'rights' or 'restrictions' is paramount
Growing up guns weren't a thing in the cities really. Robberies with guns gave the robbers a way out, it was 'give the money and no one gets hurt" and really, people and banks got robbed, and no one got hurt. Now that it's so easy to have a gun, and even concealed carry, robberies often involve taking lives as someone is more likely to have a gun themselves. Doesn't seem as though guns deter much at all, but increase shootings.

The whole 2nd amendment had more to do with whites and runaway slaves than any freedom 🙄 .
Here's a militia I would support, and has more at stake than others--

Status
Not open for further replies.