Police Dogs who Retire get Pension

I feel sorry for them.

I know that they have not been abused, however should a dog really havet to work during his entire short life ?
Some dogs really are happier with work to do, much happier than having nothing to occupy their intelligence and their energy. It depends on the breed and the individual.

I actually do feel it's abuse. Yes, a lot of dogs love "work" and training - but they didn't sign up to put their lives in danger. They are forced to risk their life and well being everyday.

Some dogs really are happier with work to do, much happier than having nothing to occupy their intelligence and their energy. It depends on the breed and the individual.

I do agree with you to a certain extent, however I really don't think that they should have dangerous jobs. Their lives are short and they should not be doing 'dirty' work and tiring themselves out.

I actually do feel it's abuse. Yes, a lot of dogs love "work" and training - but they didn't sign up to put their lives in danger. They are forced to risk their life and well being everyday.

I agree with the above and bearing in mind that they have no say in the matter, it is similar to abuse.

Every year up until this summer, I saw the same little 'sausage' like dog at the Int. terminal at LAX.
The poor mite spent his entire day walking and sniffing hand luggage. The building is crammed with sweaty pax and
has very little air conditionning. I really don't see anything that is exciting in it for the dog.

I noticed something different about what I thought was the same dog this year. The security officer told
me that the poor mite had retired and that they had a new dog.
I just hope that he has a happier 'retirement' than the life that he led in the airport terminal.

It's sad, really. Just treate like tools of the job :(

Agree.
This also makes me think of the poor little pooch that lives at the retirement home where my mum lives. The poor little mite doesn't seem to really belong to anyone and never gets walks. She just sits/sleeps in her little
doggy bed amongst the elderly residents.

But that's no different than sleeping in her little bed in a house with 2 elderly residents.

Yep. Not all dogs are happy lounging on the couch and eating milk bones all day. Some dogs need something to do, or they will rearrange your house.

Yep. Not all dogs are happy lounging on the couch and eating milk bones all day. Some dogs need something to do, or they will rearrange your house.
I guess any dogs can act like that but for some reason I found that the larger dogs I've had were like that.They tended to trash stuff a lot of the time I would leave but my small dogs only do it once in awhile.But my small dogs motivation seems to be food like if someone left food out they go a little nuts.But if no one leaves food out and they are safely away from any trash cans they are good.The larger dogs I've had did it for no apparent reason other than boredom it appeared.I'm not saying my smaller dogs don't get bored but I've just seemed to have a harder time with the larger breed dogs.

I know of a group that rescues dogs from shelters. They go for the very active, super driven dogs that most people don't want for family pets. They train them for search and rescue, bomb sniffing, etc. The dogs LOVE the work and to me it's way better than being put down because you wouldn't make a "proper" family pet. Dogs aren't thinking "this could get me killed one day." Dogs are thinking "hey, this is a blast!"

I know of a group that rescues dogs from shelters. They go for the very active, super driven dogs that most people don't want for family pets. They train them for search and rescue, bomb sniffing, etc. The dogs LOVE the work and to me it's way better than being put down because you wouldn't make a "proper" family pet. Dogs aren't thinking "this could get me killed one day." Dogs are thinking "hey, this is a blast!"
Yes,I don't see anything wrong with that.If the dogs enjoy it and they are in good health.I think most dogs just love doing things.I think because they have the pack mentality it makes them feel included.Isn't that ultimately what dogs want?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mischief