New doggie very skittish. How do I help her?

sallyomally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Our new little girl is here, and well.... things are not going as hoped. She's very very afraid of me. She's sitting in the kitchen, shaking (which gets worse if I try to talk to her, even in a very calm soothing tone). I've offered treats, but she's refused them.I've decided to go on about my routine, avoid making eye contact and let her come to me when she feels a bit more comfortable in her new surroundings.Is there anything else I can do? Her foster said she's slow to warm up to strangers, but how do I know the difference between a dog that's slow to warm up and one that's not ever going to warm up? My heart is just breaking for her- she's just miserable. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would get her a blanket or something warm to sit on, and just lie on the floor kind of near her, but not paying attention. Like use a laptop or read. And snack on loud stinky food while there. :)

Aww, the poor little thing. I agree that you are probably doing the best thing by letting her come to you.

The dog behaviourist I saw said that putting a jumper on Molly would help her nervousness when she went to training. Your dog is quite small I think so if you have a large jumper that you don't mind destroying you can just cut off a sleeve and make it into a coat for her to see if she feels more comforted.:)

How big is your house? Have her limited to only a few rooms at the moment, and if you can, set up a bed/safe area in a quiet room where she can go hide from you if she wants to. Don't try to go to her to pet her, wait until she comes to you (it might take a day or two) just let her settle in. Leave her alone to eat her food (but let her see you putting her food down so she associate you with the food arriving). And just generally be very calm around her, don't make much eye contact, talk in a soothing voice, and when she does start to come over to you act very calmly, and if she does let you pet her (if she's been sniffing your hand), don't put your hand on the top of her head, pet her under her chin or on the side of her face/neck.

Sorry if it sounds like I think you don't know how to act, it's not that, I'm just repeating the advice we give to the new owners who are taking really nervous dogs from the kennels.

Reactions: ledboots
Great advice. We're making slow steady progress. I had a late lunch on the floor and she came to sit beside me. She took a few bites of bread from my hand. I was able to pat her and rub her chest and even managed a belly rub. She's exploring the living room and has found a nice sunny spot to nap after a walk and a little snack. Looks like we're getting there. The next hurdle will be introducing the cats! They're hanging out in the kitty apartment in the garage for today.

Well there you go...some progress already. :) I'm sure you will do fine. I know it's hard to see her so timid and afraid but sounds like you are on the right track.

Great advice. We're making slow steady progress. I had a late lunch on the floor and she came to sit beside me. She took a few bites of bread from my hand. I was able to pat her and rub her chest and even managed a belly rub. She's exploring the living room and has found a nice sunny spot to nap after a walk and a little snack. Looks like we're getting there. The next hurdle will be introducing the cats! They're hanging out in the kitty apartment in the garage for today.

Bless the little mite. What an adventure for both of you and I'm sure that you'll make a great team.:smitten:

Missie, my first dog as an adult, was so afraid she didn't move from the spot we set her in for almost a solid week. My ex had to carry her out of the pound, and we took turns carrying her out to go potty. (And she weighed fifty pounds). She had been abused.

It sounds as though you're making great progress. When a dog like this gives her trust and love, it's been my experience that they give it 100%.

Reactions: KLS52
Missie, my first dog as an adult, was so afraid she didn't move from the spot we set her in for almost a solid week. My ex had to carry her out of the pound, and we took turns carrying her out to go potty. (And she weighed fifty pounds). She had been abused.

It sounds as though you're making great progress. When a dog like this gives her trust and love, it's been my experience that they give it 100%.

I'm gobsmaked to see how many of you give so much to all of these poor animals who are in so much need.

Our new little girl is here, and well.... things are not going as hoped. She's very very afraid of me. She's sitting in the kitchen, shaking (which gets worse if I try to talk to her, even in a very calm soothing tone). I've offered treats, but she's refused them.I've decided to go on about my routine, avoid making eye contact and let her come to me when she feels a bit more comfortable in her new surroundings.Is there anything else I can do? Her foster said she's slow to warm up to strangers, but how do I know the difference between a dog that's slow to warm up and one that's not ever going to warm up? My heart is just breaking for her- she's just miserable. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Hello Sally,

Chez-Git adopted a cat like that many moons ago. Poor little thing just jammed hesrelf into the tighest darkest corner she could find anywhere in the house and stayed there.

With the aid of an industrial size barrel of KY jelly and a crowbar (almost literaly) we would jemmy her out and force her to be petted from time to time.

Took years for her to get used to the idea that being petted was actualy enjoyable. Years more before she would offer herself up for petting voluntarily.

Not sure if any differences twix cat and dog and 'physchology' which make that a bad idea for petrified pooches ..

100% sure that no matter how long it takes to earn back an animals trust in humans that it is one of the most rewarding things you can ever experience though.

Thanks, nice people. Sometime in the wee morning hours, I think she finally realized I wasn't going to eat her. She slept with me through the night and at about four a.m. snuggled close and asked for a belly rub. She's now sleeping off her morning walk and breakfast. She's such a darling and so calm around the cats. They still need a bit of convincing, but we're getting there.

Reactions: thefadedone
I'm gobsmaked to see how many of you give so much to all of these poor animals who are in so much need.

From my experience at least, what they have added to my life has always been much greater than what I have provided for them. Other than the very end, I treasure every memory of those fourteen and a half years with Missie (she lived to sixteen an a half). She was such a sweet, gentle soul, so nurturing to animals smaller than she.

Hello Sally,

Chez-Git adopted a cat like that many moons ago. Poor little thing just jammed hesrelf into the tighest darkest corner she could find anywhere in the house and stayed there.

With the aid of an industrial size barrel of KY jelly and a crowbar (almost literaly) we would jemmy her out and force her to be petted from time to time.

Took years for her to get used to the idea that being petted was actualy enjoyable. Years more before she would offer herself up for petting voluntarily.

Not sure if any differences twix cat and dog and 'physchology' which make that a bad idea for petrified pooches ..

I am pretty sure that most of you know better than this, but for the benefit of anyone who happens across this post who doesn't, I am going to say this:

The absolute wrong thing to do with any animal who is afraid of you/doesn't want contact is to force yourself on them.

This is more vital the less domesticated the species is and the more afraid the individual animal is.

This means it's more important to not force yourself on an unwilling cat than it is to force yourself on an unwilling dog. The dog may bite you, but the cat will suffer more emotional trauma. And it's more important to not force yourself on a parrot than it is to not force yourself on a cat. Dogs are more domesticated than cats, and parrots are not domesticated at all.

If you want to quickly *tame* a feral or terrified cat (the two are not the same), this is a method I have used with great success:

Take all of the furniture out of a small room, except for a mattress put on the floor. The point of this is so that the cat will know that she is safe not because she's in hiding (because she has no place to hide), but because you are no threat to her. Enter the room only to provide fresh food and water, scoop the litterbox, and sleep. Never look at her, never approach her. Just come in, lie down, and sleep. Kate, who ended up being my best friend for eighteen years, was rubbing up against my ankles by the end of a week, even though it was some time after that before I bent down to touch her.

I don't normally do that; my normal method with ferals is to make sure that there is some place in the house where they feels secure, and then I go about my ordinary business. I am careful to pretend not to see them when they do start coming into rooms where I am, and I never, ever, look at them directly. (Looking at an animal directly is predator behavior if they don't know you and don't feel 100% safe with you.) Doing this, I've had ferals flop at my feet for a tummy rub within a couple of months. It's an individual thing - Ayla lived with me for five years and didn't want me to touch her until the end, when she was dying of cancer and found my touch comforting. Matilda currently sleeps cuddled up against me in bed, sometimes shares my pillow, but still doesn't want to be touched otherwise.

With all of them, I could use the bare room approach I described above to hurry the process, but it's my inclination to let them do it at their own pace. A matter of respect, you might say.

^ :yes: My dogs were fine from the start but my cat Pixie seemed uncomfortable when he was stroked or touched in any way for probably about six months after we first adopted him as he had come from an extremely abusive situation. He was almost completely silent apart from he would growl when he was at his food bowl because he had been starved by the previous owner. Quite the reverse now of course, he miaows and purrs his head off like a loudmouth.:)

Thanks, nice people. Sometime in the wee morning hours, I think she finally realized I wasn't going to eat her. She slept with me through the night and at about four a.m. snuggled close and asked for a belly rub. She's now sleeping off her morning walk and breakfast. She's such a darling and so calm around the cats. They still need a bit of convincing, but we're getting there.

:up: She sounds like she is settling in well and sounds adorable.

Reactions: sallyomally
^ :yes: My dogs were fine from the start but my cat Pixie seemed uncomfortable when he was stroked or touched in any way for probably about six months after we first adopted him as he had come from an extremely abusive situation. He was almost completely silent apart from he would growl when he was at his food bowl because he had been starved by the previous owner. Quite the reverse now of course, he miaows and purrs his head off like a loudmouth.:)

:mad:

With all of them, I could use the bare room approach I described above to hurry the process, but it's my inclination to let them do it at their own pace. A matter of respect, you might say.
I like the idea and in light of knowledge gained since that time it makes a lot of sense.

Wasn't going to happen in a small 3 bedroom (an 8' X 6' cupboard counts as a bedroom in the UK, btw) house with 5 people living in it though.

As I say though, I like the idea. Wish there had been more understanding of animal physchology in the public domain at the time in question too.

Strange thing; We took the nervy cat because it was brother of another cat and we didn't want to seperate them. The brother cat was the least nervy and most completely human freindly animal you could ever hope to come across. Kittens. Never seperated in their lives. Safish to assume that what had happened to the one must also have hppened to the other. What it was that had affected the one and not the other no one knew and no one ever found out.

Only clue was that the nervy cat was definitely the runt of a litter. Might have been bullied by siblings and even rejected by the mother cat making him scared, untrusting and wary of everything, perhaps?

Awwww:smitten: I think that I could also adopt her. Want to share ?:)

I like the idea and in light of knowledge gained since that time it makes a lot of sense.

Wasn't going to happen in a small 3 bedroom (an 8' X 6' cupboard counts as a bedroom in the UK, btw) house with 5 people living in it though.

As I say though, I like the idea. Wish there had been more understanding of animal physchology in the public domain at the time in question too.

Strange thing; We took the nervy cat because it was brother of another cat and we didn't want to seperate them. The brother cat was the least nervy and most completely human freindly animal you could ever hope to come across. Kittens. Never seperated in their lives. Safish to assume that what had happened to the one must also have hppened to the other. What it was that had affected the one and not the other no one knew and no one ever found out.

Only clue was that the nervy cat was definitely the runt of a litter. Might have been bullied by siblings and even rejected by the mother cat making him scared, untrusting and wary of everything, perhaps?

Individual cats are just as individual as humans when it comes to their personalities. I've observed and lived with many littermates. and it's not unusual to have completely different personalities within the same litter. Those differences are often apparent soon after birth.

Kittens rejected by their mothers simply don't survive, unless there's another queen who is willing to add the kitten to her litter, or unless there's a human to do the around the clock feedings, stomach massages, etc.

Kate came to live with me some thirty years ago, and I had never read anything about animal psychology. I did grow up paying attention to animals, and paying attention is really all it takes to interact with them appropriately. Sadly, most people don't pay attention.

Sounds like you are doing better Sally... My only advice is slow and steady. Don't overwhelm, not petting on top of the head and I find getting on their level instead of standing over them and not staring straight on worked for Lily when we found her in the desert. She was wild, terrified and freaked out all once. I don't think she had ever seen a collar, leash, brush and only saw beatings as she flipped out and then cowered when I brought out a brush (she was a matted mess) and even ran away if I offered a treat that might have looked like a stick until the lightbulb went off in my head what was happening. 4 years later she has grown into a much happier furkid, pushy affection hog, LOVES treats but she still tucks her tail when I try to brush her but so much better than when we first found her.

Reactions: KLS52
Sounds like you are doing better Sally... My only advice is slow and steady. Don't overwhelm, not petting on top of the head and I find getting on their level instead of standing over them and not staring straight on worked for Lily when we found her in the desert. She was wild, terrified and freaked out all once. I don't think she had ever seen a collar, leash, brush and only saw beatings as she flipped out and then cowered when I brought out a brush (she was a matted mess) and even ran away if I offered a treat that might have looked like a stick until the lightbulb went off in my head what was happening. 4 years later she has grown into a much happier furkid, pushy affection hog, LOVES treats but she still tucks her tail when I try to brush her but so much better than when we first found her.

Oh, the poor poor baby. What a horrible life she must have had! So glad you were the one who found her. Mo was starved and filthy when she was dumped at the pound and her foster said for she would cower down at the least bit of loud noise. She's leaps and bounds from last Sat., so things are coming along-slowly but surely. We're all adjusting to life with a doggie. It's very different from life with kitties!:)

Reactions: thefadedone