National Cabbage Day

I love cabbage, too!

My favourite style is the Austrian style that is prepared similar to spinach, coarsely chopped and boiled.

1582119162257.png

Also, most of these recipes sound awesome once veganized:

I love cabbage, too!

My favourite style is the Austrian style that is prepared similar to spinach, coarsely chopped and boiled.

View attachment 19803

Also, most of these recipes sound awesome once veganized:
That's interesting. If I boil it, I just usually cut it into wedges and boil it with carrots and potatoes. I often top it with a little vinegar and pepper. If I chop it up, I usually fry it in a bit of oil with lots of pepper.

I like cabbage and yet my favourite from the cabbage cruciferous family are brussel sprouts or as they say in french petit choux or little cabbage. I keep a package of frozen around always and add then when and where I can.

One thing I learned recently about cruciferous vegetables is that in order to get the sulforaphane from the veggies they should be chopped 45 minutes in advance of cooking in order to allow the sulforaphane to form and if that doesn't happen or if you buy frozen like me then add at least 1/4 teaspoon of mustard powder to your cooked vegetables and that will pull any available sulforaphane out. If you google cruciferous vegetables sulforaphane you will find interesting information.

Emma JC

Last edited:
Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable.

However, it's getting harder to find ones that actually taste like Brussels sprouts in grocery stores.

The same is true of red cabbage and asparagus.

they should be chopped 45 minutes in advance of cooking in order to allow the sulforaphane to form
Once i heard it from Michael Greger, and since then i'm trying to follow his advice.🥦
P.S.: i appreciated that in one of his recent videos he finally started talking about autolysis. But he was talking about it in such a hectic manner, that if i hadn't read a whole book (by a russian researcher) about autolysis, i wouldn't have understood a thing from Michael Greger's speech.:ignore:

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC
Brussels sprouts are my favorite vegetable.

However, it's getting harder to find ones that actually taste like Brussels sprouts in grocery stores.

The same is true of red cabbage and asparagus.

That's why I like the frozen ones as they taste great and are usually smaller than some of the fresh ones.

Emma JC

Reactions: MoreGreens and Val
I also like collard and kale. You can't find the former in shops over here and kale is only sold in pricey organic stores. I also like spring cabbage. :)

If you live near an African-American community, I've found that the supermarkets have good prices on collard greens, kale, and mustard greens.

Shyvas is a British expat living in France.

Ahg, oops :oops:. In my North American-centric head, I thought that Shyvas living "somewhere in the south" meant Texas or Oklahoma, where collard greens are a regional specialty.

Mmmm I love Brussels sprouts!

Funnily enough, cabbage is not a staple in our household at all but I bought one last week & we've really enjoyed it. Plus it is inexpensive & lasts really well. It's been used with multiple meals.
My mother wasn't a curious eater, so I ended up trying a lot of vegetables in my 20s. I bought Brussels sprouts on a whim and upon tasting one, I squeed. Baby Cabbages. No one will ever convince me they are anything other than the kittens of the cabbage world.

How many times had I struggled to find a way to use up a giant head of cabbage, and here was the answer I didn't know existed? Made my year! I'm a strong advocate of people buying loose sprouts to sub for green cabbage, unless they're a cabbage fiend. Now that I can't eat but the tiniest bit of over-cooked cabbage, I find I once again have reason to love Brussels sprouts.

That's interesting. If I boil it, I just usually cut it into wedges and boil it with carrots and potatoes. I often top it with a little vinegar and pepper.
That was how my family always had cabbage- except that we had corned beef in there, too (Mom didn't add vinegar, as I recall). Seriously, I don't remember ever having cabbage at home any other way, except maybe in cole slaw. Most of my family had their spinach drizzled with vinegar; I didn't mind it that way, but didn't see the need.

That was how my family always had cabbage- except that we had corned beef in there, too (Mom didn't add vinegar, as I recall). Seriously, I don't remember ever having cabbage at home any other way, except maybe in cole slaw. Most of my family had their spinach drizzled with vinegar; I didn't mind it that way, but didn't see the need.
We had ham, which I always loathed. :-D I also drizzle vinegar on spinach. I love vinegar.

• Friendly
Reactions: David3 and Val