Every day of the year in vegan history

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Let's find a historical event relevant to veganism for every day of the year!

If we can find something for most of the days of the year, then I'll buy a forum add-on which displays the event(s) on that day.

Go thread! :)

-----

Edited with days from thread:

January
6th: National Bean Day (USA)

February
2nd: National Hedgehog Day (USA)
9th: Joaquin Phoenix Oscar speech
10th: World Pulses Day - a UN designated global even to recognise the importance of pulses: worldpulsesday.org
28th: first legislation recognizing rights of animals (great apes in Belearic Islands)

March
3rd: World Wildlife Day
20th: Meat Out
22nd: PETA founded (1980)

April
3rd: Jane Goodall's birthday (1934)
22nd: Earth Day
30th: Arbor day

June
First Sunday: National Animal Rights Day (USA) – June 6, 2021
17th: National Eat Your Vegetables Day (USA)
26th: Konrad Adenauer, then mayor of Cologne, Germany, received a patent for soya sausages (Friedenswurst) from King George V (1918).

July
6th: Peter Singer birthday
11th: vegetarian food day (USA?) and also World Energy Day
19th: National Ice Cream day (USA) - celebrate with vegan ice cream!

August
22th: World Plant Milk Day
24th: Passing of the (Laboratory) animal Welfare Act (1966)
25th: Dog day (USA?)

September
2nd: Donald Watson birthday
11th: Moby Birthday
15th: Honey bee day (USA?)

October
1st: World Vegetarian day
2nd: World Farm Animals day
4th: ASPCA founded (1866)
First Tuesday: NATIONAL FRUIT AT WORK DAY
28th: Joaquin Phoenix birthday

November
1st: World Vegan Day
11th: the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate passed ‘The Chimpanzee Health Improvement, Maintenance and Protection Act’ (2013)
15th: Zero Waste Day
24th: HSUS founded (1954)
Fur Free Friday - First Friday after Thanksgiving

Last edited:
On August 22 = World Plant Milk Day

July 19th is National Ice Cream day. I know ice cream isn't vegan but no reason you can't celebrate with a dairy free alternative

October 1 is World Vegetarian day

National Eat Your Vegetables Day – June 17, 2021

NATIONAL FRUIT AT WORK DAY – First Tuesday in October

July 11 is vegetarian food day

Here is a list of all the food days

Here is another

National Animal Rights Day – June 6, 2021 (First Sunday in June)

8/25 Dog day.

9/15 - honey bee day

Here is one for animals

Moby Birthday 9/11
Joaquin Phoenix 10/28
Peter singer's birthday 7/6
Donald Watson 9/2

there might be some good ones in here

In iCal I subscribe to a few specialty calendars. I mostly leave them turned off because a lot of them are silly, for instance tomorrow in National Kite Flying Day. But some are good, for instance March 6 is World Health day.

Sometimes when my calendar reminds me that tomorrow is a certain day I post it in the Happy Fill-in-the-blank day thread.

Sometimes a "national day ", especially one that is not is not that closely tied into to veganism could be connected with some kind of info.

for instance on National Coffee Day there are places that give away coffee and have nondairy creamers.
On National Bird Day there could be suggestions on making your backyard bird friendly.
On National bagel day there could be some suggestions for making a vegan bagel sandwich
On National Ice cream day there could be places that give away free non-dairy ice creams.

And I just realized something, I think the National Day's I have been posting about are not official. ( I think its just a guy who produces and sells calendars.)

There are days of observance that are official in America. And I imagine there are other official days in other countries. so maybe it would be better to stick with the International Days

So maybe before I go any further, I should get some more direction. I think I have strayed from the orriginal idea of "this day in history".
Do we want More National Days or birthdays or what?

Reactions: Second Summer
So maybe before I go any further, I should get some more direction. I think I have strayed from the orriginal idea of "this day in history".
Do we want More National Days or birthdays or what?
I think we should give preference to days that have historical relevance to vegans internationally, although a lot of our members are from the USofA, so things that happen there are also important and worthy of mention.

E.g. whatever day the first vegan society was founded, but also whenever the American Vegan Society was founded. Donald Watson's birthday, but also the birthday(s) of the founder(s) of the AVS.

There is some interesting history related to the first vegan sausages. (See the blockade of Berlin.) That can probably be associated with a certain day. Maybe we can find the dates when all the different vegan substitution products were first introduced.

There was a lawsuit in the UK to do with discrimination of vegans a couple of years ago, and the judge ruled that veganism should be considered a protected philosophical conviction with similar status as protected religious beliefs. The date of this ruling is worth celebrating.

And so on ...! But there are a lot of days in a year to fill in, so I don't mind if we also have some "made up" national/international days without official status.

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
PETA founded march 22, 1980
HSUS - 11/24/1954
ASPCA - 4/10/1866
World Farm Animals day - October 2
Meat Out - march 20
Fur Free Friday - First Friday after Thanksgiving
11/13/2013 - , the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate passed ‘The Chimpanzee Health Improvement, Maintenance and Protection Act’,
March 3 - World Wildlife Day
Nov 15 - Zero Waste Day
World Energy Day - July 11th
April 22 - Earth Day
April 30 - Arbor day
August 24, 1966 - Passing of the (Laboratory) animal Welfare Act
April 3, 1934 Jane Goodall's birtheday

I found a few interesting things that happened a long time ago but I couldn't find dates for them. I may go back and try harder.

Meanwhile, @Indian Summer gets the award for interesting but obscure. (so far anyway)

Reactions: Second Summer
March 20 - MeatOut day

Colorado Governor Jared Polis is declaring March 20 “MeatOut Day” as a way to promote meatless diets to his constituents. Started in 1985 by animal-rights group Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM), the MeatOut initiative was created to educate consumers about the benefits of a healthful, plant-based diet. Polis signed a proclamation in support of MeatOut, joining governors and mayors in 40 additional states and cities who have signed similar proclamations in recent years.

Reactions: Sax and 1956