My mom won't let me go vegan.

Kaley

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Okay, so I live with my mom. I have a twin sister that lives with my dad. I've been vegetarian for a little while and it's really easy. My mom is really healthy ,but she eats meat. My twin sister was vegetarian for like 4-5 months. She and my friend are together vegetarian. I'm 13 years old. My dad said my sister can go vegetarian ,but I live with my mom and my mom said no. Every time I say " You know vegans" " vegan diets are not expensive" she goes bazaar. She won't talk to me she just goes in her room and slams the door. My brother is like anti-vegan/vegetarian. I don't know why though. Well, my dad says she could go vegan ,cause she makes her own food. I make my own food ,but my mom says vegan life is expensive. She says I can go vegan when I have a job. I don't get money for doing chores. I used to have a $40 budget fee each week. She just said she can't afford that though. I'm about to be 14 and I need a job. My sister gets like $20 a week and my dad buys her whatever she wants, food wise. I don't know what to do. I'm not gonna refuse to eat dairy/eggs. That would be childish of me. But, anyway I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Hello Kaley.

There's a lot of misconception around the expense of veganism, as you're already aware. Honestly I think the reason why she's being a little ignorant is because of your age, I'd advise maybe have someone older to explain to her that you don't need to be a millionaire to be vegan. Is is possible to find a job at 14? A paper route maybe?

I'm not sure if you're aware but there's certain vitamins you need to supplement on a vegan diet, at least as far as I'm aware. B12 is an important one, read this thread.

Anyway, if it's not possible to eat a vegan based diet now I wouldn't fret too much. Once you're able to provide for yourself you can always drop meat/dairy, we wouldn't want you to become ill or worse from eating a poor vegan based diet.

Hi Kaley

Why do you want to be vegan/vegetarian? If it's about the animals then have you explained that to your mum? Maybe your sister could lend you a recipe book, or buy you one for Christmas, then your mum could see that the recipes are cheap, easy, nutritious and tasty. Maybe as a family you could have one vegan or vegetarian meal a week and you prepare it. I expect she's busy and doesn't want to have to prepare different meals for you and your brother. I have to do two different meals being the only vegan in the family. It's a chore. :(

1. Make her watch Earthlings.
2. Make her determine your food money limit per shopping. Buy vegan for its worth.

3. Get a job or move in with your father if possible.

Hi Kaley,
I went vegan at 13. I had been vegetarian for 7yrs, which caused some problems as I ate the same traditional Irish home cooked meals as the rest of my meat eating family, minus the meat. By doing this my diet wasnt diverse enough to provide me with all the nutrients and vitamins I needed and I became deficient in vitamin D and iron.

So when I decided I wanted to go vegan my mum didnt want me to and told me it was unhealthy and too expensive. When she realised that most supermarkets have a range of vegan products she began buying vegan butter, milks, breads, biscuits, pastas and meat substitutes for everyone in the house as it worked out cheaper and healthier. It also made my mum think more about animal biproducts that she was using and she now uses vegan cosmetic and hygiene products and doesnt wear leather, wool etc. She also switched from caged to free range eggs which were all small steps, but theg led to her making the decision to go vegetarian this new year.

Also when I went vegan I began cooking more meals for myself and began experimenting with dishes from around the world and I havent had any diet related illnesses or health problems in the last 6yrs.

I guess the only real advice I can give you is to try to have a conversation with your mum and explain your motives for going vegan and I encourage you to take a walk with her around a local supermarket and see what vegan products are easily available to you as this was a real deal breaker in winning over my mums support when she realised it wasnt as hard as she initally thought.

I hope this helps

Hi Kaley,

I think the best and most logical thing that you could do, is to plan out a week of vegan diet, then go to the grocery store and find all the prices for the products that you would need.

Make a list of everything. Then when you've done that make the total calculations of how much that would cost, if the price ends up low (which it should) then show it to your mother. If that doesn't convince her, then you can be sure that money isn't the thing that is upsetting your mother.

Hi Kaley,

If possible watch, "What the Health?" And "Forks over Knives" with her. They are super informative documentaries on plant based eating. You can find the on Netflix.

And as long as you don't purchase faux meat, the vegan diet is much cheaper than an omnivore's diet.

Good luck!

If I were you, I'd just go live with my dad and my sister. It's like the quickest and simplest solution.

P.S. Don't tell your mom I said this O.K? :imp:

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I live with my mom. I have a twin sister that lives with my dad. I've been vegetarian for a little while and it's really easy. My mom is really healthy ,but she eats meat. My twin sister was vegetarian for like 4-5 months. She and my friend are together vegetarian. I'm 13 years old. My dad said my sister can go vegetarian ,but I live with my mom and my mom said no. Every time I say " You know vegans" " vegan diets are not expensive" she goes bazaar. She won't talk to me she just goes in her room and slams the door. My brother is like anti-vegan/vegetarian. I don't know why though. Well, my dad says she could go vegan ,cause she makes her own food. I make my own food ,but my mom says vegan life is expensive. She says I can go vegan when I have a job. I don't get money for doing chores. I used to have a $40 budget fee each week. She just said she can't afford that though. I'm about to be 14 and I need a job. My sister gets like $20 a week and my dad buys her whatever she wants, food wise. I don't know what to do. I'm not gonna refuse to eat dairy/eggs. That would be childish of me. But, anyway I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Hi.
I am sorry to hear of your situation. I am in a similar situation. My mum has allowed me to be vegan (almost), but she is not a big fan of it. She can find it really difficult to get food for me when we're out and about, especially when on holiday. She also feels that I miss out on desserts when we go out to eat in Lanzarote (we are in Lanzarote at the moment. Unfortunately, most of the vegan desserts at restaurants in this area of Lanzarote are limited to sorbets, and I haven't had one this holiday yet).
I would advise that you consider leaving a polite note for your mum, explaining why you want to go vegan. Explain that, if you have money in the bank, you will help pay for your vegan food. You will take out, say, £50 (or whatever your local/national currency equivalent) to help pay for your vegan food for that week. Also, explain the health benefits of veganism, as described on the NursingDegree website (I think).
Explain about how anti-vegan discrimination is wrong. You wouldn't normally get away with racism or sexism in my country (England) or the USA, as two examples, so why should someone be allowed to be prejudiced against vegans?
You may also find it helpful to get a vegab cookbook for her, or a book like "Living Vegab for Dummies". You may also be able to find some places online that sell cheap, healthy, nutritious and ethical vegan food. Include the links for any good, useful and polite websites about veganism and/or vegan food (including sites thst sell good, healthy, nutritious and ethical vegan food in your note). Leave the note with her name (or "Mum") at the top in a place where she will find it, such as her pillow.
The reason why I suggest writing all of this in a polite note instead of talking to your mum directly is because she doesn't seem to listen when you try to talk to her verbally, in-person about this matter. Be polite, though. If you are polite to her, she may be more likely to consider allowing you to be vegan, or at least be polite back to you.
Best of luck.