Muscles not healing- ?missing nutrients?

Alfie

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hey all, first time poster here

So my story is, I'm 25, normally active male, been Veggie for year and a half and then I transitioned to Vegan a month ago. Even though I was a veggie when it happened I guess you guys are the pros at this.

I got an injury to my right forearm sports climbing (minor tendon strain) in april time which I let heal then in about early June I injured my tricep on the same arm (another sprain around the elbow), I tried to let it heal and I've been to both the doctors (they aren't concered) and physio (had sports massage and acipuncture with daily stretches) about it but nothing is helping. It's still as painful as when I injured it (playing drums believe it or not), sometimes now even my left forearm starts hurting. I haven't been overcompensaying with either arm or straining myself. I just feel it shouldnt keep hurting like this after all this time without pushing it.

I feel like my nutrients intake is good, I have nutritional yeast, B12 and Spiriva supliments along with good protein intake (beans, tofu, seeds, green veg, pea protein powder) with fruit and veg.

So basically I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing? Any tips for other things to make more of an effort to eat that could be causing my muscles to ache and not heal?
It's super frustrating because I'm normally active and for a lot of this year I've been out of action so any help would be great, I want to make being vegan work for me!!
Thank you all
Alf

Last edited:
I think if this was caused by diet you would be experiencing more global symptoms.

Reactions: Nekodaiden
You said you went to two doctors? Real doctors? not chiropractors and acupuncturists?
Anyway, go back to one of them or to another doctor. Get a blood test.
It doesn't sound serious but it does sound like something.

You said you went to two doctors? Real doctors? not chiropractors and acupuncturists?
Anyway, go back to one of them or to another doctor. Get a blood test.
It doesn't sound serious but it does sound like something.
Yeah both doctors were proper doctors, I'll book back in and see if I can get another opinion.

I've personally found that at least for weight training (which for now is when I feel like it, not routine), my recovery is faster as a vegan, with much less DOMS. Although that said, when I work out I take in more green drinks and ginger spice. I don't consider my entire diet ideal even though it's mostly whole food because I do drink alcohol, but in spite of this, muscle recovery is faster than when I was a practicing omnivore.

This sounds like a unique injury and it may take longer to heal. You have coincidentally transitioned to Vegan so it's normal you might look at that as the cause when it isn't if you're eating well which it appears you are.

Question: are you eating enough starch? potatoes, rice, whole grains bread/pasta, legumes, beans etc?

Glucose is so necessary for muscles and the brain ... take a look at the YouTube videos of some of the vegan body builders and see what they eat regularly... Jon Venus, Simnett Nutrition, etc.

Healing thoughts for you!

Emma JC

Reactions: new vegan