May Health Challenge (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy May, everyone! :)
I have been doing a 30-day plank challenge with my sister. I am up to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I never thought I'd see 2 minutes, so this is pretty cool. Tomorrow I'm supposed to do 3 minutes. We shall see. It was difficult this morning to do the 2:30 one, but I will keep trying. I'm thinking it might take me more than 30 days to get to 5 minutes, but I WILL get there. The song "Battery" by Metallica is 5:26, so that will be a good one to listen to when I attempt the 5-minute one.

I'm also trying to eat better and drop a few pounds. I haven't stepped on the scale because I'm pretty sure this will be a slow-moving loss. I'm going to wait until a certain pair of jeans fits me, and then I'll get on the scale. It's less crazy for me that way. That said, my pants feel slightly more loose, so that is a good sign. I mentioned my plan to my sister and she told me I was too thin when I weighed 133 pounds and that everyone else thought so, too, but I feel so much better in the 130s, so that's what I'm shooting for again. I feel too plumpy in the 140s.

Cardio is going well. I've been walking, doing the treadmill and doing videos. I've been throwing in weights a couple of times a week as well.

It's really nice out today, so I'm going to walk outside. I hope everyone has a fabulous and healthy May. :)

Reactions: Val and Katrina
Do you have a treadmill at home ? I have an indoor bike which is actually on my balcony so I must start to do some cycling.

Do you have a treadmill at home ? I have an indoor bike which is actually on my balcony so I must start to do some cycling.
No, but that is on my list. I have plenty of room in my basement for a little gym. I would like a weight bench as well. Very cool on the bike. I do have an indoor bike, but it's sitting in my backyard covered with a tarp because it's too heavy for me to get into the basement. I haven't had a chance to have someone help me carry it into the basement. Everybody is so busy, and most of my neighbors are too old for that sort of thing. :D

No, but that is on my list. I have plenty of room in my basement for a little gym. I would like a weight bench as well. Very cool on the bike. I do have an indoor bike, but it's sitting in my backyard covered with a tarp because it's too heavy for me to get into the basement. I haven't had a chance to have someone help me carry it into the basement. Everybody is so busy, and most of my neighbors are too old for that sort of thing. :D

Well that's a start.:p

Reactions: PTree15
Now that the weather is nicer, I've started to get outside more often. Yesterday I did some yard work, which I think counts as exercise. I also made a beet-orange salad last night that should last most of this week. My goal for this week is to go to the gym at least once.

Oh, and I'm trying to not skip lunch anymore. I'm in this awful habit of eating very little all day and then eating a huge meal in the evening.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I am getting into the swing of eating gluten free now and am trying to do the daily dozen each day too. It's easier than I thought as having a smoothie each morning means that I get a lot of it in one go.:)

I have been doing a 30-day plank challenge with my sister. I am up to 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I never thought I'd see 2 minutes, so this is pretty cool. Tomorrow I'm supposed to do 3 minutes. We shall see. It was difficult this morning to do the 2:30 one, but I will keep trying. I'm thinking it might take me more than 30 days to get to 5 minutes, but I WILL get there. The song "Battery" by Metallica is 5:26, so that will be a good one to listen to when I attempt the 5-minute one.

:bd:

I am getting into the swing of eating gluten free now and am trying to do the daily dozen each day too. It's easier than I thought as having a smoothie each morning means that I get a lot of it in one go.:)

:bd:

Do you buy gluten free pasta and bread ? I know that Sainsbury's have a huge choice at their Free From section.

Have you thought of buying oat cakes as they are not only delicious but GF ? :up:

Do you buy gluten free pasta and bread ? I know that Sainsbury's have a huge choice at their Free From section.

Have you thought of buying oat cakes as they are not only delicious but GF ? :up:

Tesco is actually really good for free from stuff. I decided to cancel my Sainsbury's and Ocado delivery deals and have gone with Tesco instead. I got a one month free trial.

I forgot about oat cakes, hmm, yes I will try them. I've been eating rice cakes with PB as a snack.

That reminds me that I read yesterday that someone I know online likes PB and onion sandwiches! Strange combo.:p

Tesco is actually really good for free from stuff. I decided to cancel my Sainsbury's and Ocado delivery deals and have gone with Tesco instead. I got a one month free trial.

I forgot about oat cakes, hmm, yes I will try them. I've been eating rice cakes with PB as a snack.

That reminds me that I read yesterday that someone I know online likes PB and onion sandwiches! Strange combo.:p

Tesco is cheaper than Sainsbury's for certain items and their FF range is quite good.

Oatcakes are far tastier and healthier than rice cakes. I have found a shop over here that is a subsidiary of Poundland and get a huge 400 g carton of Nairns oatcakes for 1.50 €.

Did you see the latest merger between Asda & Sainsbury's ? It will make them the N° 1 retailer in the UK.

I don't like raw onions so the sandwich would sound vile to me anyway ! :p

I also vote no on the PB and onion sandwich, as much as I love both of those things. Together? No. :D

I got to walk outside today. My work buddy and I did 2 1/2 miles. I haven't attempted the 3-minute plank scheduled for today, so I will have to try it tonight. My sister said she lasted only a minute and a half this morning. She was tired. :D If I can't get it all in one shot, I'll do a combo to get the 3 minutes in. It felt great to be outside!!

Reactions: Val
I've been sticking to WFPB eating quite well, and have dropped a few pounds. I do feel so much better without processed foods, oil or sugar. I did go back to adding some salt.
Exercise- still struggling. I can barely do a minute plank :eek:. I have been doing some jogging in place in the morning and after work, some weights (light), exercise band stuff, walking at breaks
I do need to start walking after work- the weathers been great :)

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
Went on my first early morning, before work walk, yesterday, since December! Felt so good. Going again today in a few minutes. It’s light out but I like to give the wild animals a chance to stop their nighttime roaming, lol. I’ve seen coyotes and I know there are bears, although I’ve never encountered any. I keep saying that I want to walk up one morning and see one at the far end of my yard, just long enough to get a picture, and then I never want to see one again, hahahaha.

Maintaining the 10 pound weight loss. So far so good. I hate it though, thinking that I will be counting points for the rest of my life. It’s amazing how I didn’t count for one week becuase I had a few social engagements and I managed to gain two pounds. And I didn’t even think I did that badly, becuase I’ve doing this for awhile now so I know what I can eat. But it seems like if I don’t “measure” my portions and eat really plain and basic, then I gain. It doesn’t make sense that I can’t have take out or eat an extra helping of something, a few times a week, without gaining.

Oh well. I guess everything is a trade off. I feel so good at this weight. Everything I do just feels so much lighter. I’ll keep it up as long as I can. I really think it’s the fact that I’ve cut back on the sugar so much. I still have a little something every day so as not to feel deprived, but all of the other healthy food is really doing my body good. And I’ve grown more accustomed to stevia. So where I used to use three teaspoons of sugar in my coffee, I know get away with one teaspoon and a few drops of stevia. It’s a good blend/compromise, considering I have three cups of (mostly decaf) coffee a day.

Anxiety is better, too. I started taking magnesium because the doctor said it might help my arrhythmia (it doesn’t, lol) but I think it’s helping the anxiety, along with the minimal caffeine thing.

@KLS, I so hear you on having to watch the calories. It gets old sometimes, but as you said, it's a tradeoff. I know I will feel so much better when I get back into the 130s. Clothes will fit better, hiking is easier and exercising in general is easier because I'll be carrying less weight. I have to force myself not think about how this will be forever and just take it week by week and remember the good I'm doing my body by keeping my weight down. It's definitely a struggle sometimes.

I got to walk this morning, too. It was beautiful outside, and now all the flowers are starting to come out. My buddy and I actually got in a good 45 minutes because we made ourselves get to work by 8:30. For us to be on time and get 45 minutes in, we can't really be later than that. It worked out great. We even ducked into one of our buildings and climbed four floors of stairs three times in the middle of our walk. I need to push myself a little harder, so that was a good challenge. I attempted the 3-minute plank last night and made it only to 2:04. I was disappointed, but then I took a 20-second break and did a 1-minute plank. I did it really late last night, so maybe if I do it a little earlier tonight, I will hit the mark. I will do some combo of 3 if I don't hit that mark. I was pretty excited that the 1-minute plank has now become much easier. I don't start shaking until about a minute and 30 seconds. Progress!

Reactions: KLS52
OMG, my stomach muscles are killing me after using my trampoline yesterday.:rofl:

I did 15 mins for the first time in ages as my health has improved so much in the past year that I can finally start exercising again. I'm going to do another 15 mins today.:starshower:

OMG, my stomach muscles are killing me after using my trampoline yesterday.:rofl:

I did 15 mins for the first time in ages as my health has improved so much in the past year that I can finally start exercising again. I'm going to do another 15 mins today.:starshower:
That’s awesome! Not about your stomach muscles, but about feeling better! <3

I finally went to yoga class today after not going for two weeks. Damn, did I ever feel it in my arms and legs! It felt good, though.

This week's salad: trattoria pasta salad. It would probably be better with whole-wheat pasta than regular, but oh well. It still has black beans, red and green peppers, arugula, baby kale, and a low-calorie sundried tomato dressing.

Hello. I haven’t posted in a long time and pretty much spent the painfully long winter hibernating. The warmer weather has brought me out of hibernation mode. Food wise, I had decided that I would start May 1st with cutting out animal products. It was a rough week with two sick kids, then straining my back, and now I am sick, too, but I did manage to avoid all obvious non-vegan foods. I ate a few convenience foods without verifying ingredients first, but am not stressing over that. Activity wise, my first goals were to walk the dog every day and to continue with my once a week tennis lessons. I did manage to walk the dog several times, but had to skip tennis due to my back. Hopefully, this week I will be able to attend. My back is feeling much better, but I am hoping this cough will be gone or almost gone by Thursday (lesson day). I also got a lot of exercise working in my garden these past few days. The temps have gone from 30F to 80F, so everything suddenly needs to be planted! No easing into things this planting season.

This week’s goals:
1) Walk the dog every evening.
2) Tennis Lesson
3) Continue eating strict-veg/vegan with more home cooked food.
4) Pack well-balanced lunchboxes for breakfast and lunch, so the food will be there and ready when I am hungry (and tired).

I hope everyone is well.

Welcome back, Jinga. :)
Last week I did really well with exercising and planks. I still haven't gotten past 3 minutes, and the challenge is almost over, but I'm just going to keep doing them every day. I managed only 1 minute, 30 seconds this morning, probably because I didn't get enough sleep last night (only 5 hours) and I attempted the plank right after a rather strenuous treadmill session. :D Live and learn. We are supposed to be up to 4 minutes at this point, so I will do a few more tonight so that I at least get a total of 4 minutes.

My eating has been hit and miss, but I am definitely trending more toward my smaller-portions, slow-eating, white-carb-watching method that helped me lose weight in the first place. :) I kept my splurges to one day over the weekend rather than two (two is fine for maintenance, but one is better for weight loss) and tried to watch the beer intake. With the warmer weather, I always want more beer. :D But some of the craft beers have a lot of calories, so I'm just being mindful of the amounts.

I'm also back in FitBit mode, now that I have figured out how to get it to charge properly. This is a replacement that still has issues charging, but if I place it at just the right angle, it will charge fully. I'm shooting for 11,000 steps a day. When I get my workouts in, I usually hit that mark. I have to work a lot harder to get them in when I don't work out. Soooo, note to self: Just work out already! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.