Making peanuts a complete protein

• Thread starter Deleted member 12226
  • Start date
That makes me feel a little better. I don't think there' such thing as too much of a naturally made fat.

That makes me feel a little better. I don't think there' such thing as too much of a naturally made fat.
I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

There is no Minimum RDA for Saturated Fat. Our bodies make as much as we need. I guess Trans fats are not natural. And there is no mRDA for them either.

There is a mRDA for Fat in general. I can't remember what it is but most of us have no problems meeting the minimum. Actually the reverse. Most of our diets contain too much fat.

I suppose as long as your diet doesn't have a calorie surplus you can eat as many fatty foods as you wish. However the problem arises from something I call replacement cost: eating foods with a high fat content means less room for carbs and protein. Less room for nutrient dense foods - the ones that contain all the good vitamins and minerals.

Thanks for all the input.

Another question I have - I have issues with digestion and I'm really trying to heal my body and mind as well. I think the two are really very connected. Should I listen to all the "avoid peanuts because they have lectins and will turn your gut into a horrible mess" stuff that's all over the internet?
You need to see a Registered Dietitian, one who specializes in eating disorders. Please understand that you have a life-threatening illness - we don't have the expertise to help you.

@walkingintheair

I'm not convinced you need nutrition advice as much as a way to cope with your OCD about nutrition
No advice,no research, can prevent you from questioning, comparing, worrying about what to do. It's easy to suggest a balanced diet, not easy to change thinking
To see if a behaviour is a problem that needs to be addressed ask yourself about the effects it has on your:
your health--are your obsessions about eating causing more harm than eating the foods you question?
daily activities--is it preventing you from doing needed tasks? Earn money? This is also tied to your health

I have obsessive behaviour about being around people of all things. All. My. Life. Anxiety, avoidance, even physical symptoms. I have learned patterns of thinking that make it very doable for my way of living, but it's there, and I am ok with it as I have learned to deal with it. But I have to accept that is there, and monitor it. You will most likely need to do the same.
Of course I would also strongly suggest a registered dietician, but you will have to work out that trust for the guidance they provide.
Do you have obsessive thinking outside of food?

I just thought of another I've mostly overcome-- organic produce. I don't seem to have good luck with organics, they never seem as good quality as conventional, and I end up wasting money of what turns out to be lovely outside, moldy inside. But I know organic is better--I check the listing of what you buy organic and why. the bottom line of course, is I should eat produce,lots of it! So, I have to monitor that mind that wants to walk out the store with nothing because the organics are either too costly or not good. Even with knowing organic is preferred, I've try to keep myself away from over thinking, so I do get the produce, conventional or not.
We need to realize we need to do better, not perfect.
The enemy of good truly is the over reach for perfection

Please seek help! and please stick around. I have certainly found this to be a supportive community (like everything - it has it days!).

I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

There is no Minimum RDA for Saturated Fat. Our bodies make as much as we need. I guess Trans fats are not natural. And there is no mRDA for them either.

There is a mRDA for Fat in general. I can't remember what it is but most of us have no problems meeting the minimum. Actually the reverse. Most of our diets contain too much fat.

I suppose as long as your diet doesn't have a calorie surplus you can eat as many fatty foods as you wish. However the problem arises from something I call replacement cost: eating foods with a high fat content means less room for carbs and protein. Less room for nutrient dense foods - the ones that contain all the good vitamins and minerals.
There are somewhat different kinds of fats- for example, polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and saturated- and there are also Omega-3, omega-6, and I think another kind of omega fat.

First- about saturation: fats have chains of carbon atoms which can be joined by double bonds or single bonds. The more "saturated" a fat is, the fewer double bonds it has, and the more it tends to be solid at room temperature. Palm oil and lard are both rather saturated, while corn or soybean oil are polyunsaturated; I'm pretty sure olive oil is one of the monounsaturated ones. Saturated fats are generally thought to promote cardiovascular disease if eaten in excess, but I think polyunsaturated fats can cause their own problems if one goes overboard on them. For one thing, like all fats, they pack more than twice as many calories than carbs or proteins, cup for cup.

Many vegetable oils are rich in Omega-6 fats, but some (such as canola, olive, or flaxseed oil) have a decent amount of 3s. Vegetarians might have more of a tendency to be short on Omega-3s because an excess of Omega-6 fats can interfere with your absorption of Omega-3s.

Please go to reliable sources of dietary info to verify anything before making any drastic changes to your diet.