Making peanuts a complete protein

• Thread starter Deleted member 12226
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12226

This may be a stupid question but I am always reading that peanut butter needs something to accompany it to make it a complete protein. Most often grains are mentioned, however I don't eat bread or grains. I have read on other websites any plant based protein will do, like spinach for example. Does this mean if I eat my peanut butter with lots of leafy greens with protein it will be complete?

This may be a stupid question but I am always reading that peanut butter needs something to accompany it to make it a complete protein. Most often grains are mentioned, however I don't eat bread or grains. I have read on other websites any plant based protein will do, like spinach for example. Does this mean if I eat my peanut butter with lots of leafy greens with protein it will be complete?
Hi walkingin the air,

There are some very good things about whole grains. Do you avoid all grains, or just certain ones?

Not a stupid question.
But I have three points to make

first off, peanuts are NOT an incomplete protein. Almost no plant food is.
I just did a little experiment in CronOmeter, and I (my CronOmeter is set to me,) would get more than 100% of my protein requirements including at least 100% of Every Essential amino acids with 17 tbsp of peanut butter daily. I wouldn't even go over my calorie goal.
Of course that is not a recommended diet.
Peanuts, like all nuts, need to be eaten in moderation - like 2 tbsp a day.

The main concern with peanuts is that they are low in lysine. A lot of good Plant-Based sources are. However, lots of plant-based foods have plenty of lysine. Tempeh, tofu, and legumes are all good sources of lysine.

Next lets discuss a little about the theory of Protein Combining. Its not really a theory. More of a myth. A very very persistent myth. It came from the author of Diet For a Small Planet, who has since recanted. She admits she made it up.

You don' t need to do any wierd combinations (like spinach and peanut butter) to make sure you get All your essential amino acids. You just need to eat adequate calories that include a wide variety of foods. A diet that includes whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts and seeds

BTW, bread does not have a lot of lysine either.

However you should include grains in your diet. There is no good reason not to. I like to say that Grains need to hire a new publicity agent because they have gotten a bad rep in the press. On the other hand is is also true that most Americans eat way too many grains. The general consensus is a recommendation of 3 servings of grains a day (maybe just one if you are trying to lose weight). However a bagel in the morning, then a sandwich at lunch, and pasta and dinner is closer to 6 than just 3. And then the typical American includes a donut or cookies (or both!)

But avoiding them entirely is also the wrong approach. They are... in moderation... so good for you.

Reactions: Scorpius
It isn't protein you need to be concerned with, but the lack of whole grains!
They're a whole food group that should not be avoided

Of course I'm speaking of WHOLE grains, including glutenous grains, but there so many others if you are celiac
Why would you think to avoid grains?

Reactions: Second Summer
There was a time when I did almost just that...ate nothing but peanut butter. (organic, no sugar or additives) Peanut butter for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I struggle with a lot of food fears. Meat eventually became one of the fears, but so are carby things like bread and grains, as well as pills and anything artificial. With the peanut butter my head says eat peanuts whole don't eat them in peanut butter form but I do anyway because I think it's easier to digest. l I do get help for all of this but in the mean time have to stay alive somehow. I am right now eating a bit of meat each night (beef) with my mom because my b12 is down to 150 but I have finally given in to getting the shots. This is difficult for me. Thank you for help. I am a little bit relieved to find out it is a myth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do get help for all of this but in the mean time have to stay alive somehow.
the kind of help from therapy? it does sound like you are suffering from some kind of phobia.

It also sounds like your issues have been exacerbated by the "Popular Press".

Stick with your therapy (I'm assuming you are getting That kind of help) but you can also get rid of some of your fears by replacing them with real knowledge. Pick up Dr. Gregar's How Not to Die. Its chock full of real science and will give you some ideas of foods to eat instead of foods to avoid.

There was a time when I did almost just that...ate nothing but peanut butter. (organic, no sugar or additives) Peanut butter for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I struggle with a lot of food fears. Meat eventually became one of the fears, but so are carby things like bread and grains, as well as pills and anything artificial. With the peanut butter my head says eat peanuts whole don't eat them in peanut butter form but I do anyway because I think it's easier to digest. l I do get help for all of this but in the mean time have to stay alive somehow. I am right now eating a bit of meat each night (beef) with my mom because my b12 is down to 150 but I have finally given in to getting the shots. This is difficult for me. Thank you for help. I am a little bit relieved to find out it is a myth.
Please consider also getting help from a Registered Dietitian (RD) who specializes in eating disorders and in vegetarian nutrition. If you have been diagnosed with an eating disorder, your insurance may cover the cost of going to the RD.

In the United States, you can find a local RD through the website of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Eatright.org - Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics). Just click on the red "Find a Nutrition Expert" button in the upper right portion of their webpage. You can select from RD's with your needed specialties, and in your ZIP code.

The main concern with peanuts is that they are low in lysine. A lot of good Plant-Based sources are. However, lots of plant-based foods have plenty of lysine. Tempeh, tofu, and legumes are all good sources of lysine.
I believe it is incorrect to say that peanuts are low in lysine. In fact, they are often listed as a food which is high in lysine. Peanuts are ground nuts and different from other popular nuts (tree nuts). Peanuts are considered to be a legume, just like beans.

first off, peanuts are NOT an incomplete protein. Almost no plant food is.
I just did a little experiment in CronOmeter, and I (my CronOmeter is set to me,) would get more than 100% of my protein requirements including at least 100% of Every Essential amino acids with 17 tbsp of peanut butter daily. I wouldn't even go over my calorie goal.
Of course that is not a recommended diet.
Peanuts, like all nuts, need to be eaten in moderation - like 2 tbsp a day.
Yes, of course, most plant foods do contain at least a little bit of all the essential amino acids, and while it's technically correct to say they are "not incomplete", I feel this is a little bit misleading since the amounts can be rather small and insignificant.

Your Chronometer experiment shows exactly the problem with this line of thinking: You end up having to eat ridiculous amounts of a particular food if you refuse to combine it with other foods. Of course, in a normal diet people eat many different kinds of foods, so combining happens whether you think about it consciously or not.

I generally agree with what Lou is saying in the posts above, except if there is one amino acid we should pay attention to, it's lysine. Try to eat 3 - 4 protein-rich lysine-rich servings per day:
If you eat a "normal" vegan diet, you get sufficient amounts of all the other essential amino acids anyway without even trying.

And I agree with what everyone else is saying about grains: You need to eat grains, they're good for you, especially whole grains. Although you may perhaps want to ease yourself into whole grains as I think a sudden swichover to a fiber-rich diet can cause some digestive challenges.

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
@Indian Summer As I understand it... it's true that peanuts are a legume- and most legumes ARE rich in lysine. When eaten with grains, I think the protein is more efficiently used by the body. But as I remember, peanuts were something of an anomaly among legumes in that they weren't particularly rich in lysine (and isoleucine?... The two amino acids which Ms Lappe had in the two middle of the four columns of her protein tables). However, people who eat a reasonably varied diet, and who are getting ENOUGH food, usually don't have to worry about getting enough protein. Even if someone did get all their protein from one source, it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll become protein-deficient- but a greater portion of the protein they do eat will be used for energy as if they were carbs or fats.

I still have my copy of "Diet For A Small Planet"(as one might suppose from my obsessive recall from a book I first read decades ago). I don't obsess with mixing foods in certain proportions (any more), but I think that a variety of foods in one meal makes the meal more interesting than if you were eating just grains or just beans, along with various vegetables and seasonings.

However- one thing that has been found out: eating various foods over the course of a day improves the overall quality of the protein in your diet. You don't necessarily have to eat a mix of different plant proteins in one meal for them to reinforce or improve each others' usability. (But like I wrote: I think it's a tasty way to cook).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Lou
@Indian Summer As I understand it... it's true that peanuts are a legume- and most legumes ARE rich in lysine. When eaten with grains, I think the protein is more efficiently used by the body. But as I remember, peanuts were something of an anomaly among legumes in that they weren't particularly rich in lysine (or isoleucine?... The two amino acids which Ms Lappe had in the two middle of the four columns of her protein tables). However, people who eat a reasonably varied diet, and who are getting ENOUGH food, usually don't have to worry about getting enough protein.

I still have my copy of "Diet For A Small Planet"(as one might suppose from my obsessive recall from a book I first read decades ago). I don't obsess with mixing foods in certain proportions (any more), but I think that a variety of foods in one meal makes the meal more interesting than if you were eating just grains or just beans, along with various vegetables and seasonings. However- one thing that had=s been found out: eating various foods over the course of a day improves the overall quality of the protein in your diet. You don't necessarily have to eat a mix of different plant proteins in one meal for them to reinforce or improve each others' usability. (But like I wrote: I think it's a tasty way to cook).
Peanut amino acid profile:

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and Tom L.
Thanks, @David3! As I understand it, if someone were to consume all their protein from peanuts, their total protein daily intake intake would be limited by what percent of their daily requirement of lysine and methionine was being met. (But... sheesh... I love dry-roasted unsalted peanuts, as well as peanut butter, but not THAT much.)

Per the MyFoodData website, if you ate 2 cups of peanuts per day (about 1700 calories), you would meet 100% of all amino acid requirements:

However, your saturated fat intake would exceed the recommended value: Total Nutrients in Dry Roasted Peanuts

If you instead ate 1-1/2 cups of pumpkin seeds per day, you would also meet 100% of all amino acid requirements, and your saturated fat intake would be below the maximum recommended daily intake:

Total Nutrients in Roasted Squash And Pumpkin Seeds (Unsalted)

Please strongly consider seeing a Registered Dietitian, as I mentioned above. Your food anxieties really sound like they're leading to a poor overall diet. It's a short-term and long-term risk to your health.

Last edited:
I believe it is incorrect to say that peanuts are low in lysine. In fact, they are often listed as a food which is high in lysine. Peanuts are ground nuts and different from other popular nuts (tree nuts). Peanuts are considered to be a legume, just like beans.

I guess when I use the word low I'm taking comparative. Peanuts are lower in lysine than any of the other amino acids.
Yes, of course, most plant foods do contain at least a little bit of all the essential amino acids, and while it's technically correct to say they are "not incomplete", I feel this is a little bit misleading since the amounts can be rather small and insignificant.
It can be construed as misleading. but calling plant based proteins incomplete is also misleading. For instance the amount of lysine in peanuts is low compared to the other amino acids - but you can still meet all your lysine requirements with just eating peanuts. of course you would have to eat a lot of peanuts. but really, on one is suggesting that you just eat one (or two) foods. there are other nutrients you need that peanuts lack (no matter how many peanuts you eat). and beside you would turn into a squirrel.

Your Chronometer experiment shows exactly the problem with this line of thinking: You end up having to eat ridiculous amounts of a particular food if you refuse to combine it with other foods. Of course, in a normal diet people eat many different kinds of foods, so combining happens whether you think about it consciously or not.

yep. didn't I say that.
I generally agree with what Lou is saying in the posts above, except if there is one amino acid we should pay attention to, it's lysine. Try to eat 3 - 4 protein-rich lysine-rich servings per day:
If you eat a "normal" vegan diet, you get sufficient amounts of all the other essential amino acids anyway without even trying.

even "lysine rich" foods are comparatively low in lysine. for instance tofu, lysine is third form the bottom of the 11 essential AAs.
And I agree with what everyone else is saying about grains: You need to eat grains, they're good for you, especially whole grains. Although you may perhaps want to ease yourself into whole grains as I think a sudden swichover to a fiber-rich diet can cause some digestive challenges.
Yes!!

@Indian Summer As I understand it... it's true that peanuts are a legume- and most legumes ARE rich in lysine. When eaten with grains, I think the protein is more efficiently used by the body. But as I remember, peanuts were something of an anomaly among legumes in that they weren't particularly rich in lysine (and isoleucine?...
Lysine is considered the limiting amino acid in vegan diets, i.e. it's the amino acid we typically get the least of. Using the website @David3 linked to and comparing the same amount of dry roasted peanuts with e.g. black beans, pinto beans or firm tofu (and making sure to remove your previously added foods from the food list in between searches), you'll find that peanuts are a better lysine source than pinto beans and black beans, but has slightly less than firm tofu.

even "lysine rich" foods are comparatively low in lysine. for instance tofu, lysine is third form the bottom of the 11 essential AAs.

Peanuts are lower in lysine than any of the other amino acids.
Exactly. Lysine is the most difficult amino acid to get in sufficient levels and is therefore the only one we need to worry about.

Peanuts and other legumes (and products thereof, such as soya products, peanut butter) are generally our best sources of lysine, so it's important to incorporate them into our diet.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L. and Lou
I just go by "does this food make me feel full?"
and not really worry too much about complete or incomplete proteins.

Slightly off-topic: In the book "Jurassic Park", by Michael Crichton, the dinosaurs on the island are genetically-engineered to need a source of lysine in their diet, or they will die. It's one of the ways the managers try to keep the dinosaurs under their control. But that puzzled me a bit. Even though lysine is an essential amino acid (for humans anyway), it's not that uncommon. Most meat is rather rich in it, so at least the velociraptors and tyrannosaurus wouldn't have had a problem getting it from whomever they were eating. It does occur in plants also, but usually in much lower amounts (as we're discussing above).

ETA: @Indian Summer said what I was trying to say.

I also remember something else from "Diet for a Small Planet": there was a certain ratio of peanuts, soy, and wheat which resulted in a great increase of protein usability by a human body over what those foods would have offered if eaten separately.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.

Another question I have - I have issues with digestion and I'm really trying to heal my body and mind as well. I think the two are really very connected. Should I listen to all the "avoid peanuts because they have lectins and will turn your gut into a horrible mess" stuff that's all over the internet?

Another question I have - I have issues with digestion and I'm really trying to heal my body and mind as well. I think the two are really very connected. Should I listen to all the "avoid peanuts because they have lectins and will turn your gut into a horrible mess" stuff that's all over the internet?
Nonononono...no
Obsessing about food is far too easy with all the different 'doctors', media influencers, people who stick a name to what they do.
Even my absolute go to guy, who really is all about just eating right, nothing more, can seem obsessive if you take what he says in the most literal ways. Dr Greger.

People have been eating all kinds of ways, with varying results. We all know those old folks who've eaten sausages, butter, drank and smoke and suffered little ill health.
thing is---food has been so manipulated by the big companies that all have a hand in politicians pockets. They've designed ways to specifically target what causes us to want more and more--the 'cravability' factor. Adding more salt, fat, sugar,on top of more additives and flavors

Eating food as close to it's natural state,and a variety of the catagories, is the best way to a good diet. Honestly, having some processed foods is not going to have a terrible effect on those who don't have issues.
What you're experiencing is more that nagging uncertainty of what to do.

I strongly suggest you seek out a plant based physician or Registered Dietician, or maybe a eating disorder support group even?
Can you try and add something like oats and berries, some green veggies, to your diet?
I feel you're aware of you're doing damage with your mono diet and just don't know what's better.

I could link many good researched books on gut biome diversity and how they affect everything from digestion, mental health, inflammation, stamina etc., but when you're trapped in obsession you won't know what to believe, and I get that.
I hope you're seeing someone for this,as you're lack of nutrients is probably causing you more harm than even believing a charlaton like Dr Grundy

In the meantime, maybe this book by a plant based Registered Dietician may bring you some insight

• Agree
Reactions: David3 and Lou

No.
If you are hearing bad things about lectins from Stephen Grundy you can safely ignore them.
Just google Grundy, lectins, debunked, and you will get 100 hits.
Here is, IMHO, the best debunking

Peanuts are very high in sat fat. so you should eat them in moderation. Two Tbsp of peanut butter or hand full of nuts is a good goal.

Oh, and a good first step in healing your mind and reducing anxiety is to stop watching those YouTube videos. Instead spend your time with a book. I already suggested How Not To Die, but here is another suggestion: Eat To Live