Question about complete proteins

Two eggs all by themselves exceed the safe amount of cholesterol a day.
But has it ever been proven that the dietary cholesterol in eggs produces cholesterol in the arteries? In the latest tests, didn't the egg industry say you can eat as many eggs as you like based on the lack of evidence for increased artery cholesterol?

Reactions: Lou
In the latest tests, didn't the egg industry say you can eat as many eggs as you like based on the lack of evidence for increased artery cholesterol?

The egg industry would say that, of course. But yes, you're right. The thinking has changed significantly on dietary cholesterol.

There is more research needed, especially when the top two studies I just found at the top of Google Scholar are funded by the egg industry :eyes:

Reactions: Lou and Brian W
I haven't put enough time into researching eggs.
Partly because to me it's a moot point. It can be argued that the egg industry is the cruelest industry.
But the other part is because the story on eggs is so muddled with propaganda from the egg industry. I'm also somewhat convinced that the egg industry are such big contributors to the ADA and the AHA, they won't ever say anything too bad about eggs. And pretty much the same with mainstream media.

Like @Rohan said, the egg industry pays for research and buries any studies that don't have the result they want. And I think they make publishers and networks not report on eggs in an unfavorable way.

I won't argue that eggs have nutritional value. (but so does meat and dairy). they do contain good amounts of choline which vegans have a hard time finding in foods. and they are a cheap source of protein. However there is nothing essential in an egg that you can't find in plant based foods.

I think the science says no more than one egg a day before risking heart disease. No more than one egg a day can be rounded down to 0 eggs a day.

Back before I found the quote I'm using, my quote used to be

I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.
-Isaac Bashevis Singer

So eating eggs Could be healthy. but definitely Not for the chickens.

Reactions: Brian W
The question isn't important to anybody on a plant based diet of course but I think we tend to let our ethical ideas cloud our judgements on other issues such as health so it is good to have nuanced information from scientific sources on these issues.

From The American Heart Association:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000743
The “2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on Lifestyle Management to Reduce Cardiovascular Risk” did not include a recommendation for dietary cholesterol and concluded, “There is insufficient evidence to determine whether lowering dietary cholesterol reduces LDL-C [low-density lipoprotein cholesterol].”3 Similarly, the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee did not recommend limiting dietary cholesterol to < 300 mg/d as presented in prior editions of the DGA.6 The 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, with a focus on dietary patterns, provided nuanced statements related to cholesterol intake:

Previously, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommended that cholesterol intake be limited to no more than 300 milligrams per day. The 2015 DGAC [Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee] will not bring forward this recommendation because available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol, consistent with the conclusions of the AHA/ACC report. Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption.

The question isn't important to anybody on a plant based diet of course but I think we tend to let our ethical ideas cloud our judgements on other issues such as health so it is good to have nuanced information from scientific sources on these issues.

From The American Heart Association:
https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000743
yeah, maybe my veganism clouds my thinking but I'm not sure the AHA is impartial. Have you seen Conspiracy?

How bout this article as maybe from a more trustworthy source.

yeah, maybe my veganism clouds my thinking but I'm not sure the AHA is impartial. Have you seen Conspiracy?

I don't trust it because it relies on single studies. Try Googling "dietary cholesterol increases blood cholesterol" and see all the medical sources available. It's them verses your one source.

Less than 2 minutes of googling. I do admit I knew what I was looking for.
Eggs are highly concentrated in cholesterol, raising concerns about effects on blood cholesterol concentrations. In recent years, the egg industry, working especially through US federally administered programs, has funded studies investigating the effects of eggs on blood cholesterol concentrations. In a 2013 review of prior intervention studies on the effects of dietary cholesterol and plasma lipoprotein profiles, 10 of the 12 included studies were funded by egg industry programs.3 In 2015, one of the authors of that review served on the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which reported that “available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol . . .”4 Although that statement was not carried forward in the final Guidelines, which called for eating “as little dietary cholesterol as possible . . . ,”5 the potential for industry funding for research to influence nutrition policy decisions has become an important concern.​

Emphases is mine.

Less than 2 minutes of googling. I do admit I knew what I was looking for.
Eggs are highly concentrated in cholesterol, raising concerns about effects on blood cholesterol concentrations. In recent years, the egg industry, working especially through US federally administered programs, has funded studies investigating the effects of eggs on blood cholesterol concentrations. In a 2013 review of prior intervention studies on the effects of dietary cholesterol and plasma lipoprotein profiles, 10 of the 12 included studies were funded by egg industry programs.3 In 2015, one of the authors of that review served on the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which reported that “available evidence shows no appreciable relationship between consumption of dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol . . .”4 Although that statement was not carried forward in the final Guidelines, which called for eating “as little dietary cholesterol as possible . . . ,”5 the potential for industry funding for research to influence nutrition policy decisions has become an important concern.​

Emphases is mine.
The results of the research are still required to be honest, even though the egg industry is bound to spin them. What about all the other sources that I instantly found when I googled "dietary cholesterol increases blood cholesterol" Why do you hand wave all those away to focus on the one that supports your idealism?

You believe this bunch are less biased than the AHA?

Physicians' Committee for Responsible Medicine: Not So Responsible
The Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) (www.consumerfreedom.com) states that only ten percent of PCRM's members are actually M.D.s. CCF also cites evidence about the close philosophical and financial links between PCRM and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), which is a well-known animal rights group. While PETA promotes its animal rights agenda in a forthright, if often raucous, manner, PCRM is more subtle. Its strategy is to impugn the value of animal research and of foods of animal origin, using human health as its pretext.

@StopFactoryFarms, if you would like an idea of how much protein you get in a day, and how much of each of the essential amino acids you get, you can use a free tool called 'recipe nutrition calculator' on a website called myfooddata.com --you can type in an approximation of what you eat today, adjust the portions to what you ate, etc. Then you can choose the 'amino acids' view, available next to the 'totals' and 'comparison' choices near the top. This will give you a bar chart with the essential amino acids. As you add your foods for the day, you can see the bars fill in, some faster than others. You can see that usually the amino acid phenylalanine fills up first. Some of the others aren't too difficult to get up to 100%. Some tend to lag behind, no matter what kind of diet you are following. If you are curious about amino acids, this is a good place to start.

Reactions: Lou
I just signed up on MyFoodData.

Nice but not as good as CronOmeter.

They don't have all the Data that CronOmeter uses.
I'll put a link at the bottom that lists the Data bases that CronOmeter draws from.

And... just like CronOmeter, MyFoodData is limited by what IS in the database. This if especially evident with amino acids. For instance if you add soy milk to either of those, it won't show you any amino acids because the data for soy milk is not that detailed. It will show you the basics: protein, carbs, and fats. And also the few vitamins and minerals that are on the label. But it won't list all the vitamins and minerals and the amino acids.
I am pretty sure I've addressed this issue here at the VF.
Just like protein in general, you don't have to worry about amino acids. If you eat enough calories and eat a variety of healthy foods you will get enough protein and all your necessary amino acids. I've been keeping track with CronOmeter for about 2 months. And as long as I get enough protein I get all my amino acids. Even though a lot of my protein comes from soy milk which shows no amino acids. The only amino acid that sort of lags behind is lysine, but it doesn't lag that far behind.

Peanut butter is definitely one of the easiest ways to get complete protein on the go. It's also super tasty, so you've got the best of both worlds there. Same goes for the Clif bars, they usually have all the same nutrients as a full sandwich in a convenient pocket-sized bar. So if you feel like munching on something quick that morning, one bar should do the trick.

While peanut butter does not contain all nine essential amino acids to make it a complete protein, it does supply essential nutrients such as dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. Peanut butter also contains healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which your body needs to stay healthy.

Nuts or seeds with whole grains like peanut butter on whole wheat toast, whole grains with beans (beans and rice; hummus and pita bread; bean-based chili and crackers; refried beans and tortillas), beans with nuts or seeds (salad with chickpeas and sunflower seeds) are good combinations to also get a complete protein.

Lots of other foods have complete proteins too, so maybe it's worth exploring what else you like.

While peanut butter does not contain all nine essential amino acids to make it a complete protein, it does supply essential nutrients such as dietary fiber, vitamins and minerals. Peanut butter also contains healthy fats, such as monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which your body needs to stay healthy.
what is this? Whack-A-Mole??
I knock down one guy talking about incomplete proteins and then another guy pops up.

ALL PLANT FOODS ARE COMPLETE PROTEINS.
I put that in caps because yes I am shouting. And standing on a box. Maybe I need a megaphone.

PEANUTS ARE A COMPLETE PROTEIN.
So is peanut butter.

I went to CronOmeter for the analysis.
If I ate 20 Tbs of peanut butter I would get 75 g of protein. Which is my target.
At which point I would also have 100% or greater of all nine essential amino acids.
Six of the amino acids I would have over 2x the RDA. Lysine was the lowest at 121%

So of course peanut butter is a complete protein.

Would it be a good idea to just eat peanut butter? No, of course not.
Surprisingly a peanut butter diet is not as bad as I thought it would be. Twenty tbs would meet my calorie requirements of 1800 calories a day. 26 g of fiber. But very low on most of my vitamins. I was also surprised by how rich in minerals peanuts are.

and for the hundredth time, a good diet includes a large variety of foods.

I was going to post that it's possible for someone with a very limited diet to omit an essential amino--but looking for an example couldn't really find any. Even carrots and tomatoes have complementing aminos by themselves!

Dr Greger did make a note of a rare condition where someone couldn't make carnitine here at 20:24--
Carnitine is a non essential amino synthesized from lysine and methionine, but about 1 in 10K people lack the enzyme to make it themselves. They could supplement though

Reactions: Brian W and Lou
what is this? Whack-A-Mole??
I knock down one guy talking about incomplete proteins and then another guy pops up.

ALL PLANT FOODS ARE COMPLETE PROTEINS.
I put that in caps because yes I am shouting. And standing on a box. Maybe I need a megaphone.

PEANUTS ARE A COMPLETE PROTEIN.
So is peanut butter.

I went to CronOmeter for the analysis.
If I ate 20 Tbs of peanut butter I would get 75 g of protein. Which is my target.
At which point I would also have 100% or greater of all nine essential amino acids.
Six of the amino acids I would have over 2x the RDA. Lysine was the lowest at 121%

So of course peanut butter is a complete protein.

Would it be a good idea to just eat peanut butter? No, of course not.
Surprisingly a peanut butter diet is not as bad as I thought it would be. Twenty tbs would meet my calorie requirements of 1800 calories a day. 26 g of fiber. But very low on most of my vitamins. I was also surprised by how rich in minerals peanuts are.

and for the hundredth time, a good diet includes a large variety of foods.
In fairness to @blackeyesnail25 when I googled about this, every piece of information I could find said that peanut butter is not a complete protein and that there are amino acids missing. I'm glad you mentioned CronOmeter. You have restored my faith!

In fairness to @blackeyesnail25 when I googled about this, every piece of information I could find said that peanut butter is not a complete protein and that there are amino acids missing. I'm glad you mentioned CronOmeter. You have restored my faith!
OMG, you are right.
after googling "is peanut butter a complete protein?"
the first 7 websites said it was not a complete protein and several of them suggested combining it with bread to make it a complete protein.
Is this just lazy reporting? reporters just repeating a myth. or am I missing something?

I maybe be missing something but... many of the authors flat out state that pb does not contain all the 9 essential amino acids - which is demonstrably false.

Several of the authors cite a lack of methionine. Which is false. although it is low in PB it still is present. And in sufficient quantities.

One author actually discussed protein synthesis in our cells and how the lack of methionine would be a problem in utilization of protein.

Yes this could be a real problem if all we ate was pb. but it would be a problem if we ate just any one food. And as chronometer shows if you ate enough calories of pb of you would still have enough methionine to synthesize proteins. Maybe it might be noted that all the extra amino acids would be wasted.

That's why I always end my rant with we must eat a large variety of food. And yeah, peanut butter sandwiches are good.

Here is a quote from a "certified expert"
  • Peanut butter lacks the essential amino acid methionine, but is high in lysine.
  • All plant-based proteins are incomplete protein sources except for soy and quinoa.
  • Note: You can obtain all the essential amino acids even if you do not consume complete proteins by combining more than one plant-based protein within a 24-hour period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rohan and Brian W