Low carb vegan diet..

And since you asked, I have had college-level classes on biology, botany, metabolism, and nutrition.
So zero knowledge, in other words. :laughing:

I just don't understand why you seem so incensed about a reasonable discussion about low carb vegan eating. It seems like a hysterical reaction to say the least.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
i didn't mean it to sound so harsh. but I admit that it can be seen that way.
In my defense, Freesia asked for advice and I gave it. I gave her references and even volunteered to provide more if she needed some. Instead, she seemed intent to ignore my advice. That sort of bugs me. Call it a character flaw if you wish.
Also, I consider myself a caring and compassionate guy and it hurts me to see someone who seems so intent on doing something so (IMHO) stupid. I don't think Fressia or yourself is stupid. I just think low carb and keto are stupid.

Reactions: Emma JC
So zero knowledge, in other words. :laughing:

I just don't understand why you seem so incensed about a reasonable discussion about low carb vegan eating. It seems like a hysterical reaction to say the least.
I hadn't found any of Lou's posts anything like hysterical. Since when do we just ignore nutrition we disagree with?
What kind of "medical training" do you find pertinent? There is almost no nutrition taught in med schools
I read the peer reviewed, evidence based studies myself.

Reactions: Emma JC
Also, I consider myself a caring and compassionate guy and it hurts me to see someone who seems so intent on doing something so (IMHO) stupid. I don't think Fressia or yourself is stupid. I just think low carb and keto are stupid.
But you agreed that there is evidence that a short term low carb diet can lead to weight loss and then after the person loses the excess weight somebody could move to a more sustainable way of eating afterwards? That is what I don't understand. You seem to be agreeing with the science and then calling people who want to try that way of eating "stupid".

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
I hadn't found any of Lou's posts anything like hysterical. Since when do we just ignore nutrition we disagree with?
What kind of "medical training" do you find pertinent? There is almost no nutrition taught in med schools
I read the peer reviewed, evidence based studies myself.
We all seem to get on this forum and I felt he was being rude to Freesia about her weight for no reason. She was asking for support.

I don't believe I have called anyone stupid. I may have inadvertently implied that - and for that, I apologize.

However, wanting to go on a low carb diet when you know that your issue is that you eat too much fat seems to be counter-intuitive. At least I can't understand that.

It's like, (and yes I am putting this in the worst possible light - but I'm frustrated). I should eat less chips and nuts so I'm going to eat less vegetables, fruits, and grains.

I've stated that I know the Keto diet works in the short term. That is why it is so popular. But what happens afterwards? well, you gain the weight back Unless you start a diet that can be maintained for the long term. IMHO, it just makes so much sense to skip the keto step and just go for a good healthy diet right now.

Guys... im terrible in conflict situations, i never know what to do...

Lou i do feel you have misunderstood me a bit. I was saying i had to cut back on nuts and chips as they are extra calories which are not helping me. Im not wanting to give them up altogether, just not have them excessively.

I also thought the diets you were posting looked good, and if i had proper kitchen space and time would eat like that. unfortunately i dont, i have limited kitchen time and almost no freezer space, the freezer here instead bulging with things the omnis here want there.

im also not doing keto, just low carb ie cutting refined carbs and eating lower carb things altogether, as both carbs and fats are calories.

Reactions: KLS52
right now i have oats, oat bran, lentils and canned beans and quinoa... i will try and use those...i have very little freezer space though i do have space to store fresh vegetables. what is also useful at the moment are salad veg like cucumber and tomatoes as thry require so little prep... i also usually cook with veg that are easy to prep and cook relatively quickly...

yes that list is handy especially to remember not to eat too many nuts!

i am finding cabbage too prep heavy at the moment but i buy cauliflower and broccoli a lot, they are very handy to wash, chop etc..

also thinking of getting a greens powder, maybe spirulina...

that is pretty much a summary of whai can manage right now in terms of preparation. it needs to fit around how things are right now.

Guys... im terrible in conflict situations, i never know what to do...

Lou i do feel you have misunderstood me a bit. I was saying i had to cut back on nuts and chips as they are extra calories which are not helping me. Im not wanting to give them up altogether, just not have them excessively.

I also thought the diets you were posting looked good, and if i had proper kitchen space and time would eat like that. unfortunately i dont, i have limited kitchen time and almost no freezer space, the freezer here instead bulging with things the omnis here want there.

im also not doing keto, just low carb ie cutting refined carbs and eating lower carb things altogether, as both carbs and fats are calories.

@Freesia if I have fully understood you wish to lose some weight and stop snacking due to anxiety issues.

Firstly, I would strongly suggest that you get a thumbs up from your GP before going on any diet and chose one accordingly; i.e. one that is healthy and promotes a weight loss that suits you during a period that is short term. Diets don't work in the long term.

I would also try and sort out your anxiety issues as we often use food to sort them out. It's like putting a plaster onto a deep wound. Some drown themselves in alcohol and others eat biscuits, crisps and chocolate. I think that we have all been there. I remember times when I would wolf down a whole bar of chocolate. :D

Everyone will lose weight at a different pace ; woman (depending on age and lifestyle) lose slowly and men usually shed off pounds quite quickly.
The goal is to lose weight at a normal pace, to feel well and do it in a healthy manner. I don't think that a keto diet is possible if you're a vegan.

However, that is only my own point of view. Moreover, a low carb one that is done in a carefully planned way can work if you go vegetarian. As we don't promote vegetarian food on this forum, I can't go into any details.
Cutting down on processed carbs and eating whole foods, is certainly a healthy way to better health. However, if you want to lose weight without hunger pangs, hence the snacking, perhaps a short term low carb diet could work for you. I would say that being overweight will lead to long term health issues, so short term dieting that could help you to a path on a long term healthy eating plan is worth trying.

There is nothing stupid about short term low carb diets as long as it's done under medical supervision and making sure that the necessary nutrients are included. A supplement of vitamins and magnesium is also required. You should also make sure to get plenty of fluids.

Low carb diets have changed drastically over the years and shouldn't be related to the Atkins diet that was the rave in the 70's.

Rose Elliot's low carb book contains quite a lot of interesting facts and tips. I use it as a general guide to eating healthy food. She certainly does highlight the fact that you require protein and healthy fats to be in good health and not to feel those hunger pangs. The latter will automatically lead to snacking. She also includes many healthy and easy ways to cook vegetables. Soya beans are introduced in the 2 nd phase where you can have chilli or bean burgers etc. The 3rd phase is maintenance; i.e. once the goal weight is reached.

She also includes recipes and tips for snacks. Crisps (chips) can be made with parsnips and kale or tofu. Peanuts (the latter is not a nut) are allowed either in protein shakes, muffins or as a sauce for stir fries. Granola is made with linseed and nuts and ground almonds are used to substitute flour. Berries are plentiful in most of the dessert recipes. Roast soya (edamame) and chickpeas are allowed during the maintenance period.

Bear in mind that everyone is different. What works for one may not automatically work for the next person. Some people are insulin resistant and can't eat too many carbs :

Choosing a diet entails some planning, guidance and reading some articles written by medical experts.

This vegan Atkins diet alternative was developed by researchers at St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, who set out to determine whether a high-protein
vegetarian or vegan diet could promote weight loss and help reduce “bad” cholesterol. The result of their study was the Eco Atkins diet, which had a similar
ratio of protein and carbs as the original Atkins diet, but replaced high-fat animal protein with vegetable protein.

https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/library/articles/the-eco-atkins-diet

Very informative, Shyvas.. thank you ... I might get the Rose Elliot book, i have the one you sent me :) ... i still use her gravy sometimes at Christmas...

I feel i have things sorted in some ways, a lot of the problem is that there is a lot going on right now here, things have been pretty unstable all year... and it has been pretty stressful...

Cant get to the doctor until after Oct 7th as we are still in restrictions which effect clinical environments, and also my doctor has .. disappeared... as has the clinic... i need to get a new gp... my records are now at another clinic but i would need to choose one of the gps there.

It says plant based options on keto are vegan full fat "dairy" like coconut yoghurt, vegan butter, cashew cheese, vegan cream cheese. Vegan proteins like tofu, soya milk, tempeh. Nut butters. Coconut products like coconut milk. Avocado and olive oil as well, I suppose.
Since I posted this I have been really craving these foods! :laughing: Especially vegan cheese. I really fancy a chilli with jalapenos, avocado and melted cheeze on top.

I was talking with a woman online who has type 2 diabetes and she has to check her blood sugars (daily?) I was thinking about buying the kit and trying to eat low carb next week and see if it does makes any difference. Not that I have type 2 anyway, but I just wanted to see if it did change the results.

I'm bored indoors so I have time on my hands to experiment.

Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
Very informative, Shyvas.. thank you ... I might get the Rose Elliot book, i have the one you sent me :) ... i still use her gravy sometimes at Christmas...

I feel i have things sorted in some ways, a lot of the problem is that there is a lot going on right now here, things have been pretty unstable all year... and it has been pretty stressful...

Cant get to the doctor until after Oct 7th as we are still in restrictions which effect clinical environments, and also my doctor has .. disappeared... as has the clinic... i need to get a new gp... my records are now at another clinic but i would need to choose one of the gps there.

Check The Book Depository co uk as they sell it and do free worldwide shipping.

Reactions: Freesia
Since I posted this I have been really craving these foods! :laughing: Especially vegan cheese. I really fancy a chilli with jalapenos, avocado and melted cheeze on top.

I was talking with a woman online who has type 2 diabetes and she has to check her blood sugars (daily?) I was thinking about buying the kit and trying to eat low carb next week and see if it does makes any difference. Not that I have type 2 anyway, but I just wanted to see if it did change the results.

I'm bored indoors so I have time on my hands to experiment.
Raven,

I would suggest that if you want to test yourself that you start with your current eating habits. To learn anything about yourself you'll need to establish a base line. Testing yourself once a day, out of context won't really tell you anything. Diabetics who are at the point of management of daily testing usually are doing so to monitor the effects of their medications and over all diet plan.

The first week after you obtain your kit I'd suggest testing first thing in the morning before you have had anything to eat or drink, except for water. Then test 2 hours after each meal , and if your last meal is early enough that gives you 4 hours before going to bed. Also keep a food journal, as different individual foods and their amounts can affect your readings. Keep records of your meals, testing times and results. After a week modify your diet and keep up that same schedule, then you'll have some idea what if any effects your dietary change will have had.

One of the reasons that a short term low carb diet will work with diabetics is that certain types of carbs do spike glucose levels higher and quicker and in addition often a low carb diet results in calorie restriction overall so that the patient is losing weight.

One of your earlier posts you asked can someone do a low carb diet short term and transition to a more sustainable way of eating? Yes, it can be done.

I am not a clinical professional. What I can offer you though is the real-life story of one family's experience.

The first week after you obtain your kit I'd suggest testing first thing in the morning before you have had anything to eat or drink, except for water. Then test 2 hours after each meal , and if your last meal is early enough that gives you 4 hours before going to bed. Also keep a food journal, as different individual foods and their amounts can affect your readings. Keep records of your meals, testing times and results. After a week modify your diet and keep up that same schedule, then you'll have some idea what if any effects your dietary change will have had.
Yes, the other woman online just told me the same thing. :) I'm not sure I will bother with testing my blood sugars as it seems a lot more hassle than I realised.

Type 2 runs in my family. I have the HbA1c test twice a year as I think everyone in the UK over the age of 40 is tested. I haven't had one for months though due to Covid. The level you want is below 42mmol/mol and I usually get 34 or 36 as I remember.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and shyvas
I think low carb, done mindfully and correctly is ok. I always do better, not just weight- loss -wise, on lower carbs, sticking to whole wheat, low sugar, eliminating processed white flour foods. I do allow small portions of rice and/or otatoes. They never seem to sabotage my efforts. I end up less sluggish with more energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Freesia and Raven
@Freesia - You may find this helpful, it really seems to make more sense than I realized!

I'd forgotten about this formula for carb tracking--

To calculate net carbs in processed foods, subtract the fiber and a portion of the sugar alcohol on the label (which also does not get absorbed the same way as carbs) from the total carbohydrates listed. In general, most processed food is lower in fiber than natural whole foods, so if you're eating carbs, eat complex carbs in the form of grains, vegetables, and fruits.

Read More: How to Lower Your Carbs on a Plant-Based Diet | How to Lower Your Carbs on a Plant-Based Diet

Reactions: Freesia and KLS52
I think low carb, done mindfully and correctly is ok. I always do better, not just weight- loss -wise, on lower carbs, sticking to whole wheat, low sugar, eliminating processed white flour foods. I do allow small portions of rice and/or otatoes. They never seem to sabotage my efforts. I end up less sluggish with more energy.

i think it is impossible to remove carbs as our diets have a lot of carb, but i think it can be possible to reduce them... 🙂

• Agree